PDA

View Full Version : Tusker House - worth a TS?

The Hitchhiking Ghost
09-27-2010, 02:22 PM
Am having great difficulties getting ADR's for the week we are going down to WDW. Totally whiffed so far on Ohana, 1900, Chef Mickey, LeCellier (didn't really expect that one) and the Hoop De Doo. I check back daily to see if I can get lucky but nothing so far.

So, on our one day at AK (Boma & Y&Y currently not being available that day and Saana being available too late) pretty much left only Tusker House as an in park DDP option.

Having never eaten there, opinions? Worth using a TS?

Thanks.

joonyer
09-27-2010, 02:40 PM
It's a buffet, which are typically not the best value for use on the DDP, when compared to meals at other TS restaurants, although with the way prices are going up, there's not as much cost disparity between the buffets and other TS meals. But the food is good, and you'll have plenty of choices.

Lunch is $21.99 and dinner is $28.99, just to giove you an idea of what you'll be redeeming your TS credits for.

Here's a partial menu (lunch/dinner):
Appetizers: Spicy South African preserves, Tabbouleh, Hummus and Baba Ghanoush, Endive/Apple/Walnut salad, Caesar salad, Mixed Greens salad, Tomato & Cucumber salad, Sliced Turkey/Ham/Cheese, Tunisian Couscous salad, Green bean & onion salad, Curried rice salad and Fresh fruit. Vegetarian Table: Marrakech couscous, Vegetable samaosa, Spiced Tandoori Tofu, Jollaf rice, and Pearl couscous with sweet basil essence. Kids Selections: PB&J sandwich, Corn dog nuggets, Mac & Cheese, Corn medley, Chicken Drumsticks, Green beans, and Mashed potatoes. Adult Selections: Salmon filet, Root veggies, Prime Rib, Seafood stew, Orzo pasta, green bean medley, Rotisserie chicken, potato wedges, mashed potatoes, Carved top sirloin and pork loin, Cape Malay curry chicken, and Basmati rice with almonds. Dessert Selections: Fruit cobbler, Warm banana-cinnamon bread pudding with vanilla sauce, and assorted pastries

ElenitaB
09-27-2010, 07:00 PM
We've had breakfast there and enjoyed it. I definitely plan on dining there for lunch or dinner one of these days.

Disney4us2
09-27-2010, 07:09 PM
Haven't had the opportunity to dine there yet. We have ADR's for breakfast on our Dec. trip. We are on the dining plan, but I will be paying OOP for this meal.

Keep trying for your other choices. When I booked my ADR's, I wanted Garden Grill and it was booked. I kept trying and got in. You never know.

Have a fun trip:mickey:

wdw dude
09-27-2010, 07:12 PM
I ate dinner there in April and while it was not bad, it was definitely not as good as Boma. I don't think I would go back. I would save my TS for Boma or something else.

Just my :twocents:

:mickey:

etibbetts
09-28-2010, 12:40 PM
My family just dined here for the first time on 9/16 for Breakfast. I am not a breakfast person, however even I was impressed with this buffet. The selection was amazing and the food delicious. I am not sure about lunch or dinner, but breakfast was worth the table service.

#1donaldfan
09-28-2010, 03:38 PM
The breakfast is well worth it !! Not sure about the dinner, but I'd venture a guess that it's as good, can't imagine it not being good !!:thumbsup:

cer
09-28-2010, 04:34 PM
I have never been to Tusker House, so I cannot comment on that, however.....

This is not in-park, but on our last trip we really enjoyed Wolfgang Puck's Cafe in Downtown Disney.

It was very good and from our seats we could watch the balloon.

Just a thought, if nothing opens up....AK usually closes earlier than the other parks anyway so it may be a nice option.

Keep checking, too, something may open up...

AgentP
09-28-2010, 06:25 PM
We ate lunch at Tusker House on our trip last year. We had not planned on it, but we were all very hungry and getting grumpy and they had a table. We thought it was very good! Our server was one of the best of the trip and there were lots of choices on the buffet. We would definitely eat there again. Have a great trip!

paragon
09-28-2010, 07:36 PM
We had lunch there a few times, and thought it was very good. We actually just kind of stumbled upon the place, not really sure what to expect. Now we have made it part of our AK days.
DW is what I call a very "picky eater", so any time I find a buffet, its good, otherwise I feel like I am the only one who ate!

sassy2000
09-29-2010, 10:20 AM
We have eaten here for lunch several times and have always enjoyed it. We like it better then Yak & yeti. As for your question, "Is it worth a TS credit?", if you are trying to get the most (cost wise) out of your dining plan, then dinner is the way to go. But if you just want a good meal then I would definitely reccomend it.

diz_girl
09-29-2010, 10:50 AM
I'd definitely recommend it. Tusker House was the best CS restaurant at AK and now (after the change in 2007-2008) it's the best TS restaurant in AK. It was a tasty buffet, with enough of a selection to satisfy both advenurous and non-adventurous eaters. We also had a great server, Connie.

lovinmesomedisney
09-30-2010, 10:11 AM
We just got back from a trip last week and had breakfast there mostly because of the characters. I have to say though, it was DELICIOUS! One of our favorite meals while we were in DW. Everyone loved it and the carved ham was fabulous. The adults were happy with the food and the kids were ecstatic with the characters. A win - win situation! :mickey:

brivers222
09-30-2010, 10:48 AM
I just got a ressie there for lunch 2 weeks from now... i like that they have a special going on where you book between 1pm and 1:45pm and they give you a pass for a reserved seat at the 3:15pm finding nemo musical! :thumbsup:

Emme&TeddysMommy
09-30-2010, 03:34 PM
We ate at Tusker house just last week. It was delish. I would have to say no one in our family complained and we have a few picky eaters. Everyone left full and happy!

Figment1988
09-30-2010, 11:24 PM
in my honest opinion, Tusker House is very much worth the TS Point. however, if you do intend to go for lunch, i would recommend coming in at around 1:00 as Brivers has mentioned. That way you can get the nemo voucher. However if you have a fastpass for another attraction, you can request for a 4:45 voucher, which the staff is very happy to fullfill.

kakn7294
10-01-2010, 12:04 AM
My family thought Tusker House was actually more enjoyable than Boma. The food is very similar but the atmosphere and staff at TH was much better than our experience at Boma which actually was a great experience as well.

brivers222
10-01-2010, 07:40 AM
My family thought Tusker House was actually more enjoyable than Boma. The food is very similar but the atmosphere and staff at TH was much better than our experience at Boma which actually was a great experience as well.

This is so good to hear! I went to Boma in 06 and have been trying to schedule it in, but it never just fit. So if we can get a little taste of that while in the parks, yay!

Goes4FastPass
10-01-2010, 10:55 AM
We enjoyed Tusker House as a buffet on par with and more similar to other WDW buffets than different from them.

Lots of choices, salads, carved meats, vegetables and desserts and plenty for kids.

We found our family does well with a "real" meal on plate once a day at WDW with counterservice and snacks the rest of the day.

I get the talked around impression that some people who haven't been to Boma or Tusker House expect something out of an Indiana Jones movie. Not at all. This is Disney World. Family friendly food is everywhere.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
10-01-2010, 02:28 PM
Thanks everyone - I think we will be holding onto this ADR. Still not much opening up around the world. Got lucky with Coral Reef, but only because I booked it as a Candlelight Processional Package.

Still no luck on 1900, Chef Mickeys or Ohana but am keeping positive something will open up.