PDA

View Full Version : week 3, Good bad and ugly, your take on whats going on in the NFL

gueli
09-27-2010, 08:44 AM
OK so week 3 is here.
What are the good and bad things (or downright ugly) about your team and the rest of the NFL ?

To start - another classic Jet - Miami game. My hats off to the dolphins for doing everything that they did to push the Jets to the brink. But unlike last year, the jets managed to win this one (we were 0 & 2 against the fish last year). Lucky- yeah sure, I will take it.

The good: Sanchez managed the game, and got lucky on some almost picks. Special teams play. both teams had over 400 yards. WOW. an important divisonal win, but...

The bad- our pass defense. and our d was tired out there. no excuses, miami did a heck of a job exposing our weakness'.

The UGLY: the referee's. missed calls (the catch that was Out of bounds. calling penalities that were bogus, while ignoring others (jet O line called , next series obvious holding by miami o line not called, hands to face of jason taylor.)

But a win is a win.

Go Jets :mickey:
:beer:

Ian
09-27-2010, 09:34 AM
For the Eagles not really much bad or ugly this week. Pretty much complete and total domination of a team that they most definitely should have dominated (sorry, but the Jags stink).

I'm trying to temper my enthusiasm a bit by remembering that this team hasn't really played anyone yet. Vick did look good against Green Bay (who I think may be one of the best teams in the NFC), but that was only for a half and GB hadn't had a chance to game plan for him.

Unfortunately, not much of a test this week either. Washington appears to stink, too. McNabb is playing well (and will undoubtedly be very motivated), but their defense is terrible.

Scar
09-27-2010, 11:46 AM
I'm trying to temper my enthusiasm a bit by remembering that this team hasn't really played anyone yet.I think the whole NFC East is looking pretty pathetic (with The Giants leading the way.) in 10 non-division games this year, they combined have 4 wins, against Carolina, Detriot, Jacksonville, and Houston. Pretty lame.

SBETigg
09-27-2010, 12:42 PM
Patriots fan here and I don't like what I see for the coming seasons. I think our glory days are waning. Brady's aging and a bit too full of himself (haircut, please). Belichick's who he is and no changing that, but it might have worked better with a different team dynamic. And we've lost some great players. I was really excited about Matt Cassel when we had him. I want to be excited again. But of course, I'm hanging in there cheering for my team, in good times and bad. I am excited for some other teams and think it's time for some underdogs to rise up and have fun with it.

Melanie
09-27-2010, 12:48 PM
Nothing good, everything bad, everything ugly for the Panthers. Bring on Bill Cowher!!

Ian
09-27-2010, 02:15 PM
I think the whole NFC East is looking pretty pathetic (with The Giants leading the way.) in 10 non-division games this year, they combined have 4 wins, against Carolina, Detriot, Jacksonville, and Houston. Pretty lame.It's hard to say so far. I agree the Giants and the 'Skins seem basically hapless and dysfunctional. Especially the G'ints ... I can't recall ever seeing a team play quite this undisciplined. I think they've clearly stopped listening to Coughlin.

Of course, they did that before and then turned it around and won a Super Bowl so who knows. The big difference between the Giants and the 'Skins is that the Giants actually have talent. The 'Skins, on the other hand, just don't. They need help, especially on the defensive side of the ball.

As far as I'm concerned, the jury's still out on the Eagles and Cowboys, though. The Eagles offense has been potent with Vick at the controls. Yes, it's been against lesser competition, but they put up big points against them which is what you're supposed to do. Also, they played well against Green Bay in the second half, so ... we'll just have to wait and see.

And the Cowboys rebounded in a big way yesterday against a really, really good Houston team. I doubt they're nearly as dead as they're 1-2 record would indicate.

gueli
09-27-2010, 03:25 PM
And the Cowboys rebounded in a big way yesterday against a really, really good Houston team. I doubt they're nearly as dead as they're 1-2 record would indicate.

for a team that was picked to be in the super bowl, very disfunytional. while houston is a good team, this was about playing for TEXAS, the coboys motivation for this game had to be high. lets face it if the upstart Texans want to be considered something then they had to defeat the 'boys. and now that that is laid to rest, if the 'boys have a sub par performance next game, it will not come as a shock to me:thumbsup:

GO JETs

Pagan
09-27-2010, 05:11 PM
The UGLY: the referee's. missed calls (the catch that was Out of bounds. calling penalities that were bogus, while ignoring others (jet O line called , next series obvious holding by miami o line not called, hands to face of jason taylor.)
Goes both ways bro. The "head-to-head" bogus call on us on 3rd and long when the Jet receiver ran into our defended who was holding up, but the non-call on one of your linebackers who tomahawked our guy on the screen play.

The non-call on the "fake injury" the Jets pulled to get the defense some rest after the Braylon Edwards TD.

There were missed calls all night for both teams.

Now my take:

The GOOD: Henne to Marshall and Bess ~ This is going to be a dangerous offense. Mark my words. Marshall is a beast, and will only get better as his chemistry with Henne gels. Henne himself is the real deal. (props to Sanchez too. Looking forward to at least 10 years of Henne/Sanchez duels!)

The BAD: The defense in the 4th quarter, and the defensive play calling all game. Never any pressure of Sanchez from the front 4, and hardly any blitzes called by Nolan. This puzzled me.

The UGLY: As Guels said, the officiating.

Ian
09-27-2010, 05:29 PM
The non-call on the "fake injury" the Jets pulled to get the defense some rest after the Braylon Edwards TD.Didn't see the play, but curious ... how'd they pull a fake injury?

The NFL has pretty tight rules that govern to what extent you can "benefit" from an injury. Like, for example, if it occurs in the last 2 minutes of either half you're charged a timeout (regardless of whether the injury is legit or not).

How'd the Jets exploit that?

Greenlawler
09-27-2010, 10:25 PM
Titans:

The Good: Tie..The bend but not break defense. The Giants could not get into the endzone. Vince Young's mistake free game.

The Bad: While the defense was good the lack of pass rush was disturbing.

The Ugly: Well I would say the Titans supposed strength, the offensive line, which looked horrible. But the real ugly was the Giants lack of self control.

Funny how this game seemed to mirror last weeks, except the Titans got the benifit of the Giants mistakes. Goes to show you how close most NFL teams are. A few mistakes will determine the outcome.

Pagan
09-28-2010, 10:05 AM
Didn't see the play, but curious ... how'd they pull a fake injury?

The NFL has pretty tight rules that govern to what extent you can "benefit" from an injury. Like, for example, if it occurs in the last 2 minutes of either half you're charged a timeout (regardless of whether the injury is legit or not).

How'd the Jets exploit that?
The Dolphins had a LONG touchdown drive that left the Jet defense gasping for air in the heat. The Jets got the ball and scored on one play. During the following kickoff one of the Jets players - with NO ONE anywhere near him - all of a sudden while walking grabs his hamstring and falls to the turf. After he got back to the sidelines they showed him on camera laughing.

From CBS Sports.com:

During that New York-Miami game, Jets defensive end Jamaal Westerman was running downfield on a kickoff. Toward the end of the play, he acted as if his hamstring had popped. He fell to the ground and writhed in pain.

He looked hurt, initially, but something was strange about the injury. The Sunday night crew was suspicious as well before turning downright mocking as cameras caught Westerman walking normally just minutes later. While all of this was going on the Jets defense got a nice bit of extra rest.

Even the announcers called shenanigans on that one. :D

gueli
09-28-2010, 02:50 PM
The Dolphins had a LONG touchdown drive that left the Jet defense gasping for air in the heat. The Jets got the ball and scored on one play. During the following kickoff one of the Jets players - with NO ONE anywhere near him - all of a sudden while walking grabs his hamstring and falls to the turf. After he got back to the sidelines they showed him on camera laughing.D

Quriosity question- it was a change of possesion. right.
he went down with leg cramps, no one said it was a hamstring popping other than through speculation. but you act like that never happens (speculation).
How much extra time did the d get. a minute, 30 seconds ?
It still was a change of possesion.
also he was running, downfield, behind the play and grabbed his leg before the play was over. Yes no one was near him, but if you have leg cramps in the heat...
so did they exploit something ? Now the speculation is back on.
sigh. You cant even let the game be what it was.

gueli
09-28-2010, 02:59 PM
Goes both ways bro...

But both of us agree the officiating was bad. I watched my team, you watched yours. I did not see what you saw, but I do not doubt it.

The non-call on the "fake injury" the Jets pulled to get the defense some rest after the Braylon Edwards TD.

So what call should the refs have made ? what penality is there ?
What if the guy had leg cramps ? they worked on him on the sideline...
He did not play the next few plays, did he?
so what rule was broken ?

Now my take:

The GOOD: Henne himself is the real deal. (props to Sanchez too. Looking forward to at least 10 years of Henne/Sanchez duels!)

Agreed. should be a great rivalry for quite some time.

But again, the fish and the Jets played their hearts out. Just like last year. But this time we won. We match up well with the dolphins & they will be a challenge to beat every time we (or most anyone) plays them.
No just go out there and get to 3 & 1 :thumbsup:

Go Jets :number1:

Pagan
09-28-2010, 03:19 PM
But both of us agree the officiating was bad. I watched my team, you watched yours. I did not see what you saw, but I do not doubt it.
It was when David Harris speared Ronnie Brown in the face on a screen pass that resulted in a loss bro. Blatent. He launched himself at Brown head first.

So what call should the refs have made ? what penality is there ?
What if the guy had leg cramps ? they worked on him on the sideline...
He did not play the next few plays, did he?
so what rule was broken ?
They should have called delay of game. It wasn't cramps Guels...the guy fell like he was shot and was writhing on the ground in what looked like agony, then he walks off the field fine and laughs on the sidelines. Google it, everyone's talking about it. ;)

Agreed. should be a great rivalry for quite some time.
As it should be.

But again, the fish and the Jets played their hearts out. Just like last year. But this time we won. We match up well with the dolphins & they will be a challenge to beat every time we (or most anyone) plays them.
No just go out there and get to 3 & 1 :thumbsup:
I'm hoping. :D

Hope your guys aren't looking past Buffalo. They're one of those "sneak up on you" teams.

Scar
09-28-2010, 07:23 PM
Quriosity question- it was a change of possesion. right.

They should have called delay of game.I certainly don't know all of the little used rules of Football, but I've never heard of a delay of game when neither the game clock nor the play clock are running.

Ian
09-28-2010, 07:28 PM
I certainly don't know all of the little used rules of Football, but I've never heard of a delay of game when neither the game clock nor the play clock are running.I get what Pagan is saying ... it's frustrating to see a player exploiting the rules (especially flagrantly) for their benefit.

That being said, I understand why no penalty was called. The NFL rules only allow refs to take action on injuries if they occur in the final two minutes of either half. And even then all they can do is take away a team timeout.

I think the players union would have something to say if refs started questioning whether or not players were actually hurt or faking it.

gueli
09-28-2010, 07:58 PM
It was when David Harris speared Ronnie Brown in the face on a screen pass that resulted in a loss bro. Blatent. He launched himself at Brown head first.

Oh yeah, that play. um, spearing is slightly different (same leading with the head, but different)...I saw it as helmet to helmet hit.
You are correct, but usually these things result in a fine after the game. I agree it was blatent as far as launching himself, and I agree it was helmet to helmet. The only defense is he was trying to make a tackle, but I do feel he should be fined.

They should have called delay of game. It wasn't cramps Guels...the guy fell like he was shot and was writhing on the ground in what looked like agony, then he walks off the field fine and laughs on the sidelines. Google it, everyone's talking about it. ;)

yes he went down, was seen on the field by the trainers and came off the field.
There is no rule about delay of game in this case as there should not be. IT IS NOT IN THE RULES. so now you want to make up rules as you go along...
again it was during a possesion change. His "INJURY" resulted in what exactly ? There would have been a change of possesion timeout any way, they did not put him on a cart, and he left the field before the TV timeout was over.
So how did he help the jets defense ???????

How can you say it wasnt cramps? speculation.
you do not know what is going on on the sidelines, so maybe someone told him a joke..."two dolphins go into a bar...":D

I'm hoping. :D

Hope your guys aren't looking past Buffalo. They're one of those "sneak up on you" teams.

I think rex will have them ready.
and I am hoping also. I would love to see the afc east title go to either of our teams...especially if it comes down to the last week of the season.
AGain- props and kudos to the dolphins. they are going to be a good team this year.

gueli
09-28-2010, 08:05 PM
I get what Pagan is saying ... it's frustrating to see a player exploiting the rules (especially flagrantly) for their benefit.

as i am quick to point out - it was after a kickoff return. there was a change of possesion timeout anyway.
he was off the field by the time the tv timeout was over.
also he fell to the ground grabbing his leg. He was away from the play (trailing by about 5 to 10 yards), but they had not finished tackling the return man yet...in essence the dolphins could have run past him, without him being in the play and scored. He was down on the field during the tackle...
so how is this exploiting the rules ???
what advantage did it give the tired jet D. a whole few seconds. under a minute ?

maybe not even more than the change of possesion timeout ???

so was it a flagrant rules violation ???

I do not think so (oh by the way I believe it was with over 6 minutes left in the quarter...)

darthmacho
09-30-2010, 05:39 PM
As a NE Patriots fan:

The Good:
* Tight ends involved in the passing game
* Ben-Jarvis Green-Ellis is better than watching Maroney any day
* Some Lillipution formerly of the Jets practice squad had a couple of impressive runs, especially on the TD. Let's hope that continues.:cheer:

The Bad:
* The defense looks fast, but clueless :bubbles:
* Special teams were not so good this week

The Ugly:
* When did Justin Bieber take over at QB?
* The late Buffalo TD doesn't bode well for the rest of the year. Come on, you had that spread covered! I'm trying to start a WDW fund here! :spend: