PDA

View Full Version : WDW Hurricane Preparation

Strmchsr
09-26-2010, 04:19 PM
Since we have a possibility of a 2-3 tropical systems threatening WDW over the next couple of weeks, I thought you would be interested in the process WDW goes through:

Phase 5 (Monitoring Storm Possible)
Review current plan, checklists and business recovery plans. Review personnel and resource availability for the ride-out crew. Verify contact numbers and emergency data. Prepare WDW Emergency Operations Center for activation.

Phase 4 (Storm likely within 24–36 hrs)
General readiness imposed. Brief personnel. Review checklists. Consider possible shut down of long lead operations and not starting extended operations. Limited activation and staffing of WDW Emergency Operations Center.

Phase 3 (Storm probable within 12–24 hrs)
Intensify clean up and tie down. Prepare for phase 2 activity. Selected ride-out crew personnel given the opportunity to secure their personal property. Turn in excess radios and vehicles. WDW Emergency Operations Center opens and is fully staffed. Note: Generally this is when the WDW Emergency Operations Center, command centers, and command posts will be fully activated. However, this is an Executive Policy Team decision.

Phase 2 (Storm impending)
Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Disney MGM Studios, Animal Kingdom and Downtown Disney close. Guest campground trailers removed and secured by the guests. Scheduled hotel and campground guests notified of conditions. Complete all clean up and tie down short of shutdown. Authorized ride-out families move to pre-designated shelters. Ride-out crew fully staffed at start of phase 1 or as directed by the WDW Emergency Operations Center. Personnel not in ride-out crew released as soon as possible.

Phase 1(Storm imminent, take shelter)
Shutdown all activities and immediately take shelter. Fulfill ride-out requirement plans.

Post Storm Phase
Command Centers submit situation reports to WDW Emergency Operations Center. Establish business resumption / recovery schedule. Notify employees through media and cast Member emergency lines of call back as directed by WDW Emergency Operations Center.

Strmchsr
09-26-2010, 04:20 PM
WDW is in Phase 5 today and will possibly move to Phase 4 tomorrow.

ibelieveindisneymagic
09-26-2010, 04:53 PM
Thanks for sharing Chris! Although I hope it won't be needed, it is reassuring to know how prepared WDW is for a storm.

retiredfigment
09-26-2010, 04:59 PM
Wow! This was so informative. Do guests that are already at a resort given a special place to go? We will be going to DW in a few weeks, the first time during Hurricane season?

Daisy'sMom
09-26-2010, 05:11 PM
Oh boy, I better check my supplies. I hope you are wrong. :mickey:

Daisy'sMom
09-26-2010, 05:13 PM
i just had to post again, I looked at my last post and had to change how many posts I had done.:mickey:

faline
09-26-2010, 05:41 PM
Wow! This was so informative. Do guests that are already at a resort given a special place to go? We will be going to DW in a few weeks, the first time during Hurricane season?

Most guests ride out the storm in their rooms. They are usually provided with a flashlight (though I've yet to hear of anyone who lost power during a storm) and Disney runs movies on their tv channels. When a storm is coming, Disney does try to get guests to stock up on sandwiches and other food items they will need. I have heard of long lines to get food so plan accordingly.

Guests in the campground are typically moved to other resorts.

Daisy'sMom
09-26-2010, 06:07 PM
When we were living in CT, we came down to Disney and got caught in one of the hurricanes. We stayed in our room and since the park was closed, played games. The only thing was getting food in the food court. We stood in line for well over an hour.:mickey:

princessgirls
09-28-2010, 02:13 PM
Hopefully it will be nothing more than some wind and rain...something seen often in Florida.

Julie:mickey:

diz_girl
09-29-2010, 10:09 AM
[Guest campground trailers removed and secured by the guests.

Does this mean that campground guests with trailers have to leave? If not, how exactly are the trailers secured? What about the big bus-like RVs?

So if the trailers are secured, I'm assuming that all campers (trailer and tent) are moved to other resorts. Are guests in the cabins moved too?

TIA.

Strmchsr
09-29-2010, 10:31 AM
Guests in the cabins and with campers are moved to a more secure location. You don't want to be in the woods with the potential for a tree falling during the storm. The RVs are secured. The trailers are moved, but I'm not 100% sure where they move them. I haven't been in that situation. I do know they move them, secure them, and get the guests to a safe location. I think, also, that those guests are enabled to leave and rebook their vacation for another time.

diz_girl
09-29-2010, 02:34 PM
Guests in the cabins and with campers are moved to a more secure location. You don't want to be in the woods with the potential for a tree falling during the storm. The RVs are secured. The trailers are moved, but I'm not 100% sure where they move them. I haven't been in that situation. I do know they move them, secure them, and get the guests to a safe location. I think, also, that those guests are enabled to leave and rebook their vacation for another time.

Thanks!

doombuggy
09-29-2010, 03:02 PM
TD 16 was upgraded to TS Nicole, but it's those people on the east coast (and southern FL) that will be hit. I am in Oviedo right now with no rain. Oviedo is Nor th & East of WDW by about 30 miles. I was in downtown orlando today for a lunch meeting and it was just cloudy. Nicole should be a rain event, if anything at all, for property.

johnO
10-06-2010, 09:08 PM
Got our cruise and WDW at the end of the month...hopefully the weather will be great.

Strmchsr
10-07-2010, 08:45 AM
Got our cruise and WDW at the end of the month...hopefully the weather will be great.

Keep a check on the forecast thread and I'll update you if anything develops. The models are keeping the tropics fairly active through the end of the month, but nothing major right now.