PDA

View Full Version : Thrown off this evening...

lettripp
09-24-2010, 09:39 PM
Just received an email from one of my students (I teach 7th grade language arts in an inner city school) saying she hates my class and there is nothing I can do to help her.

I could really use some Disney cheer before bed :-/

PAYROLL PRINCESS
09-24-2010, 10:09 PM
Wow! That was pretty rude of her. I'd contact her parents and let them know there is a problem so maybe they can get involved. Perhaps she's struggling with the class and this is her way of blaming someone else?
Or maybe she's just an unhappy person? Don't take it to heart. You can't please all the people all the time. If she's the only one that feels that way, you must be doing something right!

floridamom
09-24-2010, 11:01 PM
First, kudos to you for choosing to teach in a tough area. :mickey:

If she's at all like some of the drop-out prevention kids I've taught, she may be testing you to see if you'll give up on her like so many others may have already done. Maybe you can start a dialogue to see what it is she "hates" about the class and why she feels so discouraged. She may not come around completely, but showing her that you aren't going to get flustered by her anger, but that you still want her to learn and be successful may plant a seed...

Good luck!

Kenny1113
09-25-2010, 05:56 AM
I agree with the pp. This is probably an attention seeking or a test. If she truly hated your class and there was nothing you could do, why would she bother reaching out and initiating contact? I would suggest contacting parents ( not sure of her situation). Discussing with other teachers and possibly getting guidance councilor involved.

Good luck.

VWL Mom
09-25-2010, 07:14 AM
I think that she may be reaching out otherwise as the pp states she wouldn't have taken the time to write the email. I'm assuming there were no threats involved in the email?

Before calling her parents though I would let the student know you are available during lunch (or whatever hours your school sets) and try to get her to talk. IMO that will give you better direction.

I applaud your choice of schools, to me that speaks volumes on your dedication as a teacher. Good luck!

Some pixie dust for you to take to school on Monday

:pixie::pixie::pixie:

cather74
09-25-2010, 10:03 AM
Good for you for doing what you do! I'm a teacher too and the hardest thing is finding a student who is not getting your personal "Pixie dust." As hard as it is, all kids are different and finding a key to that child will take some time but you can do it. You care. That is the strongest gift you have. Talk to her. Find common ground. Share things you stink at or hate. Don't call the parents just yet. Try and find the key to her first. When you know more about her you'll be able to decide what to do. Good luck and keep us posted.:heart:

lettripp
09-25-2010, 07:22 PM
Thank you ALL for the advice and kind words. I truly appreciate it. I am going to speak to her Monday and will also email guidance to see what they can tell me if there were problems for her last year. I will keep you posted!