PDA

View Full Version : chubby, not great swimmer needs advice please

PrincessJadesMom
09-24-2010, 03:18 PM
I picked up our travel vouchers today from our travel agent, and we got a nice surprise. As a thank you, she gave us each a 1 day pass for a water park of our choice. Now here's where I need advice...I am a large woman (330#) and i am not a really good swimmer.I also hate water slides. I'm wondering if anyone has any advice as to which water park would be better for me to go to? I would love to swim with the sharks but I'm afraid the life vest won't fit. Please help. Thank you!

TheVBs
09-24-2010, 03:46 PM
Wow! What a great gift to get from your travel agent. :mickey:

We like Typhoon Lagoon. You could get in the wave pool, you don't have to go in deep enough to depend on your swimming skills. The lazy river is really relaxing and you can hang out there for as much or little as you'd like. Plus, there's a lot more shade at Typhoon Lagoon, so it's much nicer lounging there.

Have a great trip! :mickey:

cajundisneyfreak
09-24-2010, 04:00 PM
I agree.Typhoon Lagoon is better.They have a big beach area with a wave pool.Love the lazy river.You have to try the water coaster.It is soo fun!!! I never tried the shark reef.Too chicken. lol They have plenty of lifeguards at Disney.Go have fun and enjoy yourself. :mickey:

ibelieveindisneymagic
09-24-2010, 04:20 PM
I think either would be fine.

DD wanted to go to Blizard Beach on our last trip, so that's where we went.

I don't like water slides, but I still had a great time.

I liked the wave pool, and the seemingly constant waves (you can go as deep or as shallow as you want) and the lazy river was fun, I think I went on it a zillion times.

It was also fun to sit and watch people scream as they came down the slides.

Don't worry about your size, I'm Pooh-shaped to, and there were people of all sizes having fun, no one even noticed if you were bigger or smaller.

Disney4us2
09-24-2010, 05:01 PM
Have fun at the water park.:thumbsup: I too am in the same category. We plan on going to one of the water parks in April, with our friends. One of friends is also larger.

Does Blizzard Beach have a river type attraction like TL Lazy River?

DisneyPrincess21
09-25-2010, 12:32 AM
I picked up our travel vouchers today from our travel agent, and we got a nice surprise. As a thank you, she gave us each a 1 day pass for a water park of our choice. Now here's where I need advice...I am a large woman (330#) and i am not a really good swimmer.I also hate water slides. I'm wondering if anyone has any advice as to which water park would be better for me to go to? I would love to swim with the sharks but I'm afraid the life vest won't fit. Please help. Thank you!

Is it only good for the water parks? Or is it a water park fun and more option where you can use it for Disney Quest also?

BTW,
:secret: We liked to refer to it affectionately as being :pooh: Sized instead of chubby, which I think is a much better term :thumbsup: :wave:

LVT
09-25-2010, 01:27 PM
That's me too. Anyway, I liked TL. I did a couple of the tube slides and enjoyed them each once, but what a climb.
I liked the wave pool. I got knocked over in the thigh high area by the waves. I did better in the chest high water. I got a tube and bounced with the wave. Body surfing is for better swimmers or people who float.

ibelieveindisneymagic
09-25-2010, 02:38 PM
Does Blizzard Beach have a river type attraction like TL Lazy River?

Yes, both water parks have lazy rivers :swim:

PrincessJadesMom
09-26-2010, 03:01 PM
Is it only good for the water parks? Or is it a water park fun and more option where you can use it for Disney Quest also?

BTW,
:secret: We liked to refer to it affectionately as being :pooh: Sized instead of chubby, which I think is a much better term :thumbsup: :wave:

The tickets are only for one of the two water parks.

Fastpasssteve
09-26-2010, 04:19 PM
I am, also, a big guy. I love the water. A couple trips ago, we went for half a day to Blizzard Beach. There were people of all sizes and shapes there enjoying the sun. Go...enjoy yourself.

mainemajor
10-24-2010, 02:39 PM
My favorite water park is TL, by far. I think its easier to get around and with the wave pool you can enjoy it at your comfort, without having to worry about your swimming abilty.

lynnek
10-24-2010, 03:29 PM
It may also depend when you go. Check the refurb schedule for the two of them, especially if you are going in Nov

ToraTory
10-25-2010, 02:59 PM
I completely understand how you're feeling, nothing spells anxiety like a swimsuit :) For me, the best part about being at WDW is that everyone is there to have a good time with their family and honestly it is one of the only places that I feel completely comfortable as no one seems to care that I am a large person. There are very few places that I can truly let myself feel free and yes, even wear a swimsuit :mickey:

Go for it! The lazy rivers are awesome, they are easy to get in and out of and are lots of fun. I would suggest wearing water shoes as this makes the steps a bit less slippery.

Have a great time!! -- tory