PDA

View Full Version : No reservations, where do you eat?

DisneyDINK
09-24-2010, 10:29 AM
In the ADR obsessed Free Dining era where do you go on the nights when you didn't reserve anything? What are some of your favorite dining options not on the dining plan?

For restaurants which are on the plan, which are the best options for walk-ins? Maybe at a certain time of day? Are there any TS restaurants where you don't really need/seldom bother with an ADR?

faline
09-24-2010, 10:47 AM
Earl of Sandwich in Downtown Disney is always a good option. We are typically able to walk into the Grand Floridian Cafe, particularly for lunch. Kona's is also typically easy to walk into for lunch (though certainly not for breakfast and often not for dinner).

We've also eaten at the bar at The Wave as we could not get a table service restaurant that evening.

We have had some luck making same reservations for dinner and have also been lucky enough to walk into establishments such as Liberty Tree Tavern for lunch and Le Cellier (also for lunch).

You have better luck if you arrive right at opening or wait until well after the lunch and/or dinner rush.

Strmchsr
09-24-2010, 11:16 AM
I've been able to get day of reservations (and probably walk-up) consistently at Teppen Edo and Marrakesh, which are two of our favorite places.

doombuggygal
09-24-2010, 11:21 AM
The Turf Club at Saratoga Springs and Olivias at Old Key West are some of our favorites where you don't need a reservation

DisneyBunch5
09-24-2010, 11:46 AM
Wolfgang Puck Express at Downtown Disney Marketplace has become our new favorite counter service. The food is outstanding it more like table service, not counter service. You even get to eat with flatware, not plasticware.

kathiep
09-24-2010, 11:47 AM
Biergarten can usually accomodate parties without reservations.

Mousemates
09-24-2010, 11:52 AM
Our approach for no reservations is to eat table service for lunch as a "show-up" (get there early when the restaurant opens or near the end of the serving period...also if you are the MK lots of times the restuarants at the resorts aren't as fully booked) and then do CS for dinner.

clausjo
09-24-2010, 02:26 PM
We walked up to Boma the week between Christmas and New Years and got seated right away for dinner. We were there looking around and it smelled so good we figured it was worth a shot. We only waited about 15 minutes and it was really crowded. We've also had luck in Japan - not the hibachi one but the sushi bar one that I can't think of the name of right now- but that was a while ago and at lunch time. I think it all depends on the time of year.

TheVBs
09-24-2010, 03:50 PM
We've been able to do walk ups at Tony's in MK, Marrakesh and Biergarten in Epcot.

wire0monkey
09-25-2010, 06:16 PM
Biergarten and Kona Cafe usually work for us. I like CS at Wolfgang Puck in DTD, too.

Checkers
09-26-2010, 11:28 AM
:mickey:In Aug. when we were there on arrival day we did not have ADRs and were able to have an early dinner at Kona Cafe. It opens at 5 pm and we were seated within 10 min. We also enjoy Earl of Sandwich, Wolfgang Puck Express (DTD) as well as Sunshine Seasons in the Land (Epcot). We have also gone to Guest Services and asked them to check availability at the time we are interested in eating. We have never gone hungry!

JerseyDad
09-26-2010, 02:44 PM
If you are in Hollywood Studios you can usually get a place to sit at the bar (named Dad's Tune in Lounge) in the 50's Prime Time Diner.

You might have to wait a few minutes to sit but never too long and they allow kids. The full menu is available at the counter (bar). We think they have pretty good food.

P.S. They also have GREAT martinis!:marg:

...and Bloody Mary's!!

Jen1984
09-27-2010, 06:49 AM
Just wanted to say that we very rarely make ADR's, in fact, the only place I can remember doing so was for Hollywood & Vine for the Fantasmic package, and even that was reserved the same day. To be fair, we do tend to travel in quieter periods such as September, and as we go for at least 2 weeks at a time it isn't a tragedy if we do not get our first table choice. Doing this, we have been able to eat at Coral Reef, San Angel Inn, Mama Melroses, Sci-Fi Dining, Chef Mickey's, Big River Grille, Boma, Chefs de France and many more.
Playing it by ear may not be for everyone, but we have really enjoyed just being able to do whatever we want, when we want, without being tied down to reservations.

sassy2000
09-27-2010, 09:52 AM
We have consistently gotten seated at Tusker House for lunch without ADRs. We love the food there. We have also walked up to Marrakesh in Epcot twice.

phillydan
09-27-2010, 02:10 PM
We have had success with walk-up on a number of occasions - even in busy August. The key is to show up early and keep checking back periodically (pleading eyes help - lol). We once were trying very hard to get into San Angel Inn and were turned away 5 times. On the 6th time, I tried my high school Spanish and that seemed to do the trick - table for 5 right up in front of the volcano!

I have also tried calling 407-WDW-DINE on the phone from inside the park, as they sometimes see an opening that the host may have missed.

A good strategy is also to try the turn over time between lunch-dinner. If you really want an early dinner, try asking for a late lunch instead; chances are that they can fit you in during the change-over time. I was also successful with Guest Relations at the park entrance.

ADR's really are the way to go, but sometimes you just want to wing-it.

EJS-Houston
09-27-2010, 06:02 PM
I was really impressed with the Mediterranean food at the counter service restaurant at EPCOT. I live in a city with a lot of Mediterranean restaurants and this one compared very favorably, and was one of the most reasonably meals I had at DisneyWorld at that! I highly recommend it.

irish1967
09-27-2010, 09:23 PM
I think it really depends... If you are a small party (I didn't want to "assume" given your screen name) and open to a variety of options and times, you will probably eat very well. This comment is based on my DB and DSIL's experience. They eat dinner anytime between 5:00 p.m. and closing but pretty much end up going almost anywhere they want.

They sometimes call Disney Dining in the morning after they make their plans for the day and do make an ADR based on where they plan to be.

Or, they walk up to the podium at restaurant opening (for lunch, not dinner) and plan based on availability.

They do not walk up to a restaurant at 7:00 p.m. and expect to be seated anytime soon. That rarely happens.

If you have a family and need to eat at a certain time...that may likely be a different story!

Sylvia
09-27-2010, 09:35 PM
On several occasions, I have been lucky with a walk-up at 50's Prime Time. On one Saturday, I was headed towards the Backlot Express and decided I really wanted table service, if possible. I stopped by 50's Prime Time at 7 PM and really got lucky - I was seated by 7:15.

Several favorite CS spots are Earl of Sandwich, Cosmic Ray's, Electric Umbrella, Casey's, The Land.

angua85
09-28-2010, 07:18 AM
Add me to the list of those who dont make ADRs. But I do check with the concierge at the hotel in the morning and ask what's available in the park we plan to tour that afternoon. I have also checked with the customer service counter in the park and gotten a reservation that way. I've eaten at most of the "hard to get" places this way. More importantly, I've tried places I would not have thought to try, and frankly prefer some of these to the supposedly "hot" spots.

DisneyDINK
09-30-2010, 01:44 PM
I think it really depends... If you are a small party (I didn't want to "assume" given your screen name) and open to a variety of options and times, you will probably eat very well.

No, you can assume, party of 2!

Thanks for the input everyone!