PDA

View Full Version : Sports trips!!

MarkC
09-22-2010, 03:57 PM
Has anyone ever done this before? I'm sure many of you have. We live in Lincoln, NE and like to follow our beloved Huskers wherever they play. This weekend we traveled to Seattle to see them play Washington. Here is what we do if it works-- we saw NU-UW play at 12:30pm, and then saw the Rangers-Mariners at 6pm that evening. In the past year, we've combined a college football game with an NBA, NHL, and MLB game. It makes for a great day, in my case being shared with my 21 year old son and a couple of other friends. I really, really recommend it if you have the time. Just sharing. :)

Melanie
09-22-2010, 04:22 PM
Fun times! And you're a serious fan to travel that far. ;)

We love sports trips. Do them as often as we can! :thumbsup:

princessjojo
09-22-2010, 04:35 PM
In our neck of the woods, ie NC, we've followed some basketball far and wide, not that I'm even a fan of either of the big 2 in our area, but it's always fun to be had. But to go further than that and mix in a pro game of any sorts gets expensive for us. I would try to squeeze in an MLB game if we could, but the seasons don't really coincide with each other.

Sounds like a lot of fun though!

ibelieveindisneymagic
09-22-2010, 07:29 PM
My DH is a HUGE junior (OHL) hockey fan. So, we road tripped to Sault Ste. Marie (8 hours away) in a terrible snowstorm, to see our team play up there!

If that isn't devotion to a team, I don't know what is.

As much as I tease DH about our hockey roadtrips, they are fun!

IceRef
09-22-2010, 10:57 PM
MarkC:

Nice topic to open up. I can’t agree more with your idea and encourage anyone with family or friends and a remote interest in sports to take advantage of an opportunity like you noted. Now that our sons have wandered away from Wisconsin, we use the same type of plan in arranging a couple of trips a year to get together.

To keep on the hockey theme already mentioned and with all of us being hockey officials of course, it makes for easy picks. We have made similar trips centered on the NCAA Frozen Four locations, the outdoor games at Camp Randall and Lambeau Field in recent years were super events, along with pro games in Milwaukee or Chicago.

Not that we leave other sports hung out to dry, with a ton of loyalty to the football Badgers (both guys graduated from UW-Madison with one being in the band), but can’t explain why we have also become Tennessee Volunteer fans over the last 15 years. We have had tremendous times wrapping together long weekend trips and games in Knoxville. The crew already has plans firmed up for this season heading to the UT / Memphis game in November. Dates are set - tickets in hand, now just trying to decide on which BBQ place to hit pre-game with Beale Street as an absolute must for post game.

No better way – other than combined Disney trips – to stay close with people.

Great idea for a post again Mark - and BTW welcome to the Big 10 (or whatever they decide to call it in the future)!

NittanyLion
09-23-2010, 12:03 PM
MarkC, welcome to the Big 10! As you can guess, I am a big Penn State fan. We're looking forward to having Nebraska on our schedule. We also enjoy taking trips to see our team play. We just went to Alabama to see the Alabama/PSU game. I'm sure you know the outcome of the game, but we had a great time. Everyone we met in Tuscaloosa was so friendly and went out of his/her way to make us feel welcome. We look forward to traveling to Nebraska for a game!

MarkC
09-24-2010, 09:22 AM
Hey NittanyLion and Ice Ref-- thanks for the comments. I can't to visit both of your campuses next year. I'm hoping that wherever we fly into we can see some other games as well. Ice Ref-- I'm a lifelong Packers fan so if you can schedule a home game for the Packers that weekend we would appreciate it.

NittanyLion-- welcome to Intercot!!