PDA

View Full Version : Just got back from WWOHP

dobby2010
09-22-2010, 11:29 AM
Thought I'd give you all an update. We were at US Wednesday 9/15. We went straight for WWOHP when it opened at walked right on the Forbidden Journey ride (well probably waited 10 minutes or so but that was just because it took so long to walk through Hogwarts and take pictures, etc.) We rode it again immediately after because it was so amazing and this time waited about 30 minutes. Got into all the shops without having to wait, except for Ollivanders, where there was a huge line to have a wand chosen. We had Universal's express pass so we walked right on the other two rides, though the lines weren't more than 15 minutes or so. Ate at Three Broomsticks and again waited about 10-15 minutes to order, then got our food and a table right away (they have this restaurant really well organized!) Food was great! We loved the ribs and rotisserie chicken. Butterbeer was as excellent as it sounds though super sweet.

The rest of the day we spent at US and IOA. We did pretty much everything in both parks except for a couple of little kid rides and rip ride rocket which wasn't open. Thanks to the Express Pass we finished both parks by 5 pm though I'm not sure we really needed them as there were not many lines more than 5-10 minutes long.

The one thing I wish I had known prior to going was that they don't let you carry anything on many of their rides and you have to get a locker. Its free for the first half hour or so, so we didnt really have to pay, but was quite annoying and sometimes the lines to get a locker or retreive our stuff was quite long. If I had known I wouldn't have brought my purse, and that would have saved us quite a bit of time and annoyance.

IloveJack
09-22-2010, 02:25 PM
Thanks for the update! :thumbsup: We're headed there in 23 days, ourselves. Can't wait to see it all. Hoping that the lines are as calm then as you've mentioned.

NJGIRL
09-24-2010, 08:58 AM
Thanks for sharing your experience! Looks like things are more managable now.:thumbsup:

iheartdisney
09-26-2010, 09:36 AM
Without the express pass how long would you recommend allowing to experience all of WWOHP? My daughter and I will be there in the spring. It's all we really want to see at US and wonder should I allow a full day? half a day?

Thanks! :magic:

dobby2010
09-26-2010, 03:19 PM
I think it depends on what you're planning on doing. If you want to wait in line for Ollivanders to have a wand chosen for you, then you're going to need an extra hour and a half or so, that was the one thing with a huge line. It also depends on when you go. We went on a wednesday right at rope drop and so were able to walk on the Forbidden Journey ride, which later in the day did have longer lines (Though not nearly as bad as I heard it used to be.) IF you go right at opening and head straight for that ride and Ollivanders then do the other two rides and the stores and 3 broomsticks last you shouldnt need more than 3 hours or so. Thats how long we were there for, doing Forbidden Journey twice and eating a slow lunch (and even though we had express passes we didnt need them, flight of the hippogriff was walk on and deuling dragons was 20 mins). If the day is more crowded like a weekend I would think you'd need a great deal more time. Hope this helps!

TiggeRia
09-26-2010, 04:41 PM
We were there this past Monday-arriving at the park around 1030 or so. We headed directly to the WWOHP and by that time the crowds were pretty large. The stores are very nice, but the aisles are very narrow, making them appear to look and feel more crowded than they really were. They felt very crowded to me. I purchased a few items in the morning and asked the cashier whether or not the stores would be more manageable in the afternoon. She said she thought they were more crowded in the afternoon because most of the people had finished with the rides for the day and wanted to do shopping prior to leaving the park.

We rode Forbidden Journey twice-once in the morning around 11 AM with a 45 minute wait and once in the afternoon around 3 PM with a 40 minute wait. The wait didn't seem nearly that long because the line continually moved and there was plenty to look at to keep you occupied.

I felt the stores and streets were very crowded all day. The line for butterbeer at the outside cart was at times about 30 people long, but the Hog's Head sells it as well. We did Ollivanders in the afternoon and had about a 20 minute wait. The line in the morning I would have estimated at about 40+ minutes. The wand store that they exit you into after is packed! They put about 25 people into a very small shopping area in addition to the people that were already in the store. The other two rides did not have much of a wait, I would say less than 10 minutes each.

Overall it is well worth it, but depending on what time of the day you arrive in that area, I would allot about3 hours for the rides, wand shop, shopping, etc...

If you are interested, I could PM you a link to pictures showing some of the crowds, if you want a better idea of what you may be dealing with. The rest of the park was relatively empty and very easy to navigate.

iheartdisney
09-26-2010, 06:26 PM
If you are interested, I could PM you a link to pictures showing some of the crowds, if you want a better idea of what you may be dealing with. The rest of the park was relatively empty and very easy to navigate.

That would be wonderful! Thanks so much!

And thank you, Dobby2010! I've cut and pasted your suggestions and put them in my May 2011 notes. Hopefully, they'll still be as timely then as they are now! I appreciate your help!

sacandjac
09-26-2010, 07:50 PM
Wr had Harry potter package and entered park at 0800 on Friday the 24th. We did everything in Harry potter part including eating breakfast and riding forbidden journey twice in about 2.5 hours. No wait the first time for forbidden journey. Second time did single rider line. Took about 10 minutes when standby was 40 min. We did wand shop second and waited about 15 minutes. Had breakfast at three broomsticks after the dragon challenge. Checked out all the shops and had two frozen butterbeers(very good). The line at the outside kiosk for butterbeers was extremely long Went into hogs head and got one immediately.

Pirate Granny
09-30-2010, 10:59 PM
We were there this past Sunday, Monday and Tuesday...crowds were pretty small IMO. Forbidden Journey would be well worth any wait you may need.

jendig
10-02-2010, 07:48 PM
I would imagine that, just like WDW, September would be a super slow month for US/IOA as everyone has just returned to school. It is probably tough to compare lines/waits now with a busier time of year.

Gregandmel
10-04-2010, 01:16 PM
Can anyone tell me if, at park opening, there are cast members who sort of walk ahead of you to lead you to the WWoHP? Mainly to avoid people racing through the park to get there? We want to ride FJ first and don't want to take a wrong turn! We plan on getting there early before the park opens. Thanks for any info!