PDA

View Full Version : I'm being wishy-washy and can't decide

WDWCrazyKaren
09-21-2010, 02:05 PM
DH told me yesterday that he would prefer breakfasts for our table service meals. We are big breakfast eaters, and we eat very light for lunch and dinner. We generally only eat 2 meals a day-lunches being very light. So, even though breakfasts are cheaper than dinners, we both don't mind using our TS credits on breakfasts. That said, we have Chef Mickey's, 'Ohanas and Akershus Dining Hall reserved for three of our breakfasts. The only dinner reservation we have is Teppan Edo the day we arrive. I have three more TS ADRs to make, and can't think of a single place! Le Cellier is completely booked for the entirety of our trip (would probably have been a lunch), which is the only other place I REALLY wanted to go. What else should we do? We are very unadventerous eaters. Meat and potatoes are the norm. Thoughts?

beckylovestink
09-21-2010, 03:10 PM
We loved the food at 1900 Park Fare...we did dinner but I have heard nice things about the buffet for breakfast (real omlets, etc)

I have also heard that Kona Cafe is great for breakfast.

cajundisneyfreak
09-21-2010, 03:43 PM
Here are some of my favorites that have great food.Whispering Canyon Cafe at Wilderness Lodge,50's Primetime at Hollywood Studios,and my latest is Cape May Cafe at Beach Club.You said that ya'll were breakfast people.Have you tried Crystal Palace at Magic Kingdom or Tusker House at Animal Kingdom? Hope everything works out for ya'll. Have a magical trip! :mickey:

WDWCrazyKaren
09-21-2010, 04:16 PM
I had totally forgotten about Whispering Canyon! We love their food. Thanks for the reminder.

diz_girl
09-21-2010, 04:24 PM
If you'll be using your TS credits for breakfast, then I'd cancel the DDP, unless this is part of free dining. Even if it is a part of free dining, maybe there is a room-only discount out there that will save you more money than a free DDP with a room at the rack rate.

Using your TS credits for breakfast is a real money loser. You're basically paying $40 to buy $30 worth of food for each adult, each day you use your TS credit for a breakfast. If you have two adults for a week and use your TS credits for mostly breakfasts, that's $100-$140 lost, depending on how many breakfasts you use with your TS credits (I used 5-7 days as an example). I'd rather save the $100-$140 and treat myself to dinner at a signature restaurant. If you cancel the DDP and only do TS for breakfasts, then you easily save enough to pay for your Teppan Edo dinner.

Some people like to have their food paid for before their trip, but you still have to calculate and pay the tip, so you might as well charge the whole meal to the room and not worry about having to keep track of using all of your credits.

buzznwoodysmom
09-21-2010, 04:34 PM
What resort are you staying at? Maybe you could book a breakfast or dinner at your resort. We always try to have at least one meal at our resort.

Since you can't get Le Cellier, you can try Les Chefs de France. We had lunch here in June, just to try a new place, and we really, really enjoyed it. We were surprised because it's not a place I'd heard much about, but its a place we'll go back to again. If you haven't eaten at Kona Cafe for breakfast you could try that one too. Kona Cafe is one of our favorite places in all of WDW, for both breakfast and dinner. Another place we recently tried that we ended up pleasantly surprised with was Grand Floridian Cafe. We only had dinner here because it was a last minute ressie and it was all that was available in the MK area. What a hidden gem! We loved it. Good luck filling in all your openings.

akaDisneyDreamer
09-21-2010, 07:39 PM
I was also going to reccommend Les Chefs de France! We went there for lunch in August and was very impressed. It's now a "must do" for us! We were staying at the Poly for the first time, and the breakfast at Kona Cafe was very good too! The tonga toast and the pineapple maccadamia pancakes were very yummy! Another place that was wonderful was Wolfgang Puck's Cafe in Downtown Disney. Had the best macadamia crusted chicken there! We also had charactor breakfasts at Crystal Palace and Tusker House, buffet style, the food was good and it was a lot of fun! There are really a lot of amazing choices!

tinksmom02
09-21-2010, 08:22 PM
I'm not sure if you were looking for more breakfast suggestions...1900 Park Fare at the Grand Floridian is my favorite breakfast buffet, and Kona Cafe is my favorite for sit-down, order-off-a-menu breakfast. I LOVE the macadamia nut pancakes!!

JerseyDad
09-21-2010, 08:41 PM
....for breakfast...1900 Park Fare is a huge favorite of ours. We have a character breakfast there always built in to our trip schedule. The buffet selection is quite extensive....customized omlets.....sliced meats....baked goods....etc.

....(pssst....pssst)...they also make a great Bloody Mary too

.....and....I get to see Tigger and Pooh....what more could a 49 yr old guy want from life!! :)

Janmac
09-21-2010, 11:27 PM
We love sit down breakfasts, especially when we have the ADRs about 8 to 8:30 to stroll through nearly empty parks.

MK: Crystal Palace - wonderful buffet, especially the huge strawberries next to the whipped cream. Plenty of potato choices along with the usual breakfast meats.

AK: Tusker House and the breakfast with Donald is a bit noisy but the variety on the buffet is wonderful.

Epcot - you already have the breakfast at Akershus. We were so happy to have smoked fish for breakfast. The potato casserole (?) is awesome. My sister the coffee drinker said the coffee was good.

Disney's Hollywood Studios - we have not tried this recently, but we used to always have breakfast at Hollywood & Vine. We're going to give it another try next trip.

We also like the breakfasts at Cape May, 1900 Park Fare and, mostly for the characters, Ohana's. We have also enjoyed Trail's End at Fort Wilderness - very good for unadventurous eaters but hard to get to unless you're staying at an MK area resort.

We have eaten a couple of times at Chef Mickey's but it's not a must do every trip for us.

You probably will mostly only break even with the Dining Plan, using your TS for breakfast, unless you have free dining?

Enjoy!

Jan

WDWCrazyKaren
09-22-2010, 08:32 AM
Thanks so much for the great tips. I think we are going to try for 1900 Park Fare for dinner instead of breakfast. I've heard folks having so much fun with Cinderella, the stepsisters and wicked stepmother. It's been probably 15 years since I've eaten there, and although I remember Cinderella and Prince Charming, I don't recall if we saw the stepsisters.

We are on the free dining plan :number1:. I crunched the numbers with the free dining and room discount, and the free dining won out! We wouldn't eat all these TS breakfasts without the free dining plan, as you are all right-it doesn't make (good fiscal) sense.

We love Sci-Fi too. Not for the food, just for the atmosphere. We were pretty pleased with 50's Prime Time too, and the servers were ever so much fun, but we wanted a few new meals, to mix with our old favorites.

Thanks for the assitance folks! I truly appreciate the ideas.

KODABEAR
09-23-2010, 03:31 PM
Having family from Minnesota, they like the lunch/dinner at Norway. Reminds them of the food Grandma used to make!:mickey:

#1donaldfan
09-24-2010, 12:27 PM
:cool:Donald's Safari Breakfast !! AK
1900 Park Fare , GF

just to name two .... :cool:

Mousemates
09-24-2010, 12:34 PM
to us all the breakfast buffets are pretty much standard fare without any major differences ( i mean eggs, sausage, bacon, hashbrowns, cereal toast)...as for new tries if you are meat and potatoe person then maybe garden grill or whispering canyon.