PDA

View Full Version : Flying in the Holiday Season

faline
09-20-2010, 11:45 AM
For those of you who are planning trips which include flights during the upcoming holiday season...

Our local news station did a bit this morning warning folks that flights might be expensive. They were recommending that people book their flights earlier than usual and stated they did not believe any bargains would be had later than the beginning of October. Additionally, many airlines are, apparently, planning to add fees for flying on particular days during the holiday season.

Tinkerfreak
09-20-2010, 01:20 PM
I also saw this on our local news station. I believe it too. When we were considering a trip to WDW around Christmas time the flights were about $500 per person before taxes and fees. They are just getting so rediculous. How can people afford to fly and pay those prices? We have a family of 4 so our flight would have actually cost us more than the Disney vacation itself. I so wish we lived closer so we could drive but 1200 or more miles is just too far away for us to drive. It eats four days out of our vacation time.
I think this is the real reason people are not vacationing at Disney as much anymore, not just the economy but the cost of getting there is keeping them away. I know we would take a few long weekend trips if it was cheaper to fly.

DARDEVL'S SURPRISE
09-20-2010, 01:27 PM
So true...I literally checked 3 airlines 3 times a day since June looking for affordable airfare for our trip in November...Thankfully, I was able to find it for $650 round trip for 4 of us..Didn't think I could have found any cheaper than that, so I jumped on it...I feel extremely lucky.

Dopey's Girl
09-20-2010, 01:34 PM
I heard the same thing this morning. We just bought our flight for the week after Thanksgiving, and even with a "deal" it was still $70 more than we have paid reciently. Made me grumpy...that's less :mickey: money!

keacc
09-20-2010, 01:51 PM
Gee, the flights that I booked for Christmas time back in February for $235 R/T are now $587 R/T. Always book early.

Ropachs
09-20-2010, 03:42 PM
So true. I booked our December flights back in June, with taxes and fees each ticket came to about $250, so that's $1000 for us. I was hesitant to book as I thought fares may come down but figured I better not risk it. Turned out to be the right choice, I have watched the fares for our flights just go up and up since then. We would ABSOLUTELY go to WDW more often if we could get there inexpensively!

nfrustaci
09-20-2010, 07:50 PM
we also booked our flight in july i think and ours was 268 round trip for the week following thanksgiving. i was so excited to get that price since our trip last year in sept was 324 round trip. this was a bargain and since disney was giving us the dining at a discount for pop century i was even more excited. collecting air miles for our trip next year. we booked all of our travelers under our card so we could fly next year free hopefully!!!:mickey:

Thumper03
09-20-2010, 10:11 PM
Holiday airline tickets even with "discount" AirTran are completely ridiculous. :mad:
We are driving for a fraction of what it would cost us to fly - and bonus - if there's bad weather we might move slow, but we WILL be moving.:car:

Disney4us2
09-21-2010, 07:12 PM
I got our tickets back in June for our December trip. Now I am looking at air for our April trip and the price is almost $500.00 per person and that is without all the fees added.

I am waiting until Southwest's April fares come out. I don't care for Southwest but will fly them to save almost $400.00.

MinnieMommie
09-21-2010, 08:26 PM
I agree that if the airfare prices were more affordable we would travel more frequently. We seem to be going for longer stays rather than several shorter trips. Haven't tried driving yet. Interesting is that we found very good fares for the end of January through early February which is not what we found the past 2 years.