PDA

View Full Version : For those debating EarlyBird Check-In with Southwest...

MuchLovedMama
09-18-2010, 12:48 PM
I really debated paying the extra $80 for the 4 of us to be able to get on near the front of the line to and from Disney. I made the decision not to and I'm sure glad that I did. I checked in online exactly 24 hour in advance and was still able to get in the A section. We are A38-A41. I kept worrying with this new option that there would be a lot more people doing it and we would be pushed back quite a bit but we actually got better seats than when we did 2 years ago when EarlyBird wasn't even an option. Hoping when we do the return flight check-in we'll have the same luck. Just wanted to share since I'm sure there are others out there debating the same thing.

1 hour til we leave. Yea!!!!! :mickey:

MinnieMommie
09-18-2010, 01:11 PM
We do the same as you - we call 24 hrs before rather than paying for the early bird option. We have still been able to get section A each time. Good to hear this is still working.

Have a totally wonderful trip!! :mickey:

DizneyRox
09-18-2010, 03:28 PM
Be advised, that Southwest also boards by number, so A1-37 will still board before you (potentially 37 people). Just getting in the A group isn't the only thing important, the number is as important.

We found the Early Bird gave us some peace of mind as well, especially on the return trip, we didn't have to take time out of the day to head to a place they could check us in.

Good luck!

BigRedDad
09-18-2010, 06:58 PM
Getting on the plane in Groups A or B will give you no issue on sitting together as a family. I don't know why getting on at A20 seems to be better than A40. It is only 20 people on a plane that holds somewhere near 200 people.

Ksmith75
09-18-2010, 08:11 PM
We always go for the early bird, especially for the trip home since we dont want to have to worry about checking in at 24 hours. Since the largest planes that SW flies only hold 137 passengers, we dont want to chance not seating together, in our experience even people with B boarding got separated due to the seating patterns of other guests.

disneymom15
09-18-2010, 08:13 PM
We check in right at the 24 hour mark also and get A boarding. Totally forgot to check in for our return flight, thought for sure we wouldn't be seated together. Someone at Disney did it for us and we still had A boarding. That's happened to us twice, hats off to Disney cast members.

DizneyRox
09-18-2010, 09:11 PM
Getting on the plane in Groups A or B will give you no issue on sitting together as a family. I don't know why getting on at A20 seems to be better than A40.
Seat choice can make a WORLD of difference. At 6+ feet I can use all the leg room I can find, travelling with a child takes the exit rows out of play. I'm less worried about sitting together than I am sitting in a seat that doesn't fit. Even one family in front of me can ruin my trip!

wdwnutz
09-18-2010, 09:58 PM
We check in 24 hours before our departing flight on line and have always gotten A, but how do we check in for the return flight if we don't have a computer with us at WDW?

Ed
09-19-2010, 12:50 AM
Be advised, that Southwest also boards by number, so A1-37 will still board before you (potentially 37 people).

It is only 20 people on a plane that holds somewhere near 200 people.

Southwest uses only Boeing 737's, configured for 137 passengers. :plane:

We check in 24 hours before our departing flight on line and have always gotten A, but how do we check in for the return flight if we don't have a computer with us at WDW?

If you have a web-enabled cell phone, you can check in at mobile.southwest.com

You will need your confirmation number and the first and last name of one of the Passengers listed in the reservation. The checkin confirmation screen on your mobile device will display the boarding group below each Customer's name. Once you have checked in for your flight via your mobile device, simply proceed to the airport and go to the nearest E-Ticket Check-In kiosk to print your boarding pass.

Disney Doll
09-19-2010, 07:56 AM
Seat choice can make a WORLD of difference. At 6+ feet I can use all the leg room I can find, travelling with a child takes the exit rows out of play. I'm less worried about sitting together than I am sitting in a seat that doesn't fit. Even one family in front of me can ruin my trip!

But no matter how early you board you can't control who sits near you.

We always fly SW and always check in 24 hrs prior. In 10 plus trips I have never once had our group separated. This time we are going with just our family- 3yr old & 8 m old. I imagine other passengers will be avoiding our section of the plane like the plague. :)

Gregandmel
09-19-2010, 09:40 AM
We paid the extra $80 on our last trip in late April. We got a GREAT airfare ($59 one way) so I didn't mind the extra cost. I booked within 5 minutes of the new schedule coming out, so I knew we would have good seats (I think there were all of about 10 people ahead of us). I have no idea what sort of seating we would've gotten otherwise - I'm sure it would've been just fine, but like another poster said - it just gave me peace of mind AND alleviated the anxiety that came with setting my alarm so I could be on the internet exactly 24 hours ahead of time. I also didn't need to worry about thinking about it on our last day of the trip (our October 2008 trip I forgot about the 24 hour checkin - we were at Animal Kingdom getting ready to leave and it occurred to me I forgot to do it - we ended up with a B section and were split up our return trip home). So.....as long as you are on top of it - I have no doubt you will be fine. It just gave me peace of mind and one less thing to worry about on our trip! :thumbsup:

BrerGnat
09-19-2010, 11:43 AM
Flight time, day of the week, and departure airport really make a HUGE difference too. This is a difficult thing to generalize.

SleepinB
09-19-2010, 12:25 PM
Thanks to the fact that you can choose to only pay for EarlyBird Check-In for one-way of the trip, we used EarlyBird Check-In for our recent return trip. I knew I would remember to go online 24 hours before our departure flight and then enjoyed the convenience of having our places reserved automatically while we enjoyed the parks. :mickey:

faline
09-19-2010, 03:46 PM

The concierge desk at any of the resorts or guest relations within the parks can check you in. Be sure you have your confirmation number with you and are within your 24 hour window.

BigRedDad
09-19-2010, 06:26 PM

This is kind of confusing. I definitely did not know how many seats there are. I do know only the first row and exit rows have leg room. Unless you are one of the first 10 people boarding, it is unlikely you would get your row. I assume you purchase Business Select tickets or your trip is ruined from the start.

I am 6' tall. I do not have any issue sitting anywhere on SW. You may be much taller than I am. I have enough stress in life and when on vacation, there is little that will stress me out. I just go with the flow and let things be.