PDA

View Full Version : Mickey not table side at Chef Mickey's trial 9/5 - 9/19

DisneyWFan
09-18-2010, 10:31 AM
Message originally posted by DisneyWFan on 09-18-2010 at 10:31 AM:

Just saw this on another site

a major change has taken place at Chef Mickey's Buffet in Walt Disney World. This restaurant in the Contemporary Resort is one of the resort's most popular for several reasons - it's within walking distance to the Magic Kingdom, the monorail rushes by overhead while you dine, and the "Fab Five" Disney characters come greet you at your table. Well, not anymore. Mickey Mouse will no longer be greeting guests table-side. Instead, Mickey will pose for pictures near the front of the restaurant in the area that formerly held a photo op featuring a large plate and statue of Mickey. Your picture will be taken with Mickey and will be available for sale at the inflated Disney price of $29.95. Posters on the thread said they were able to give their own cameras to a cast member to use, thus saving themselves the $29.95 cost of the photo.

-------------------------------------------------------
Message updated by Figment! on 09-21-2010 at 2:55 PM:

Moderator Note

The aforementioned change appears to have been a trial offering. It has been confirmed by a number of Guest reports (and several INTERCOTees below) that the Mickey Mouse Character offering at Chef Mickey's is currently table side.

Ian
09-18-2010, 11:41 AM
Sigh ... maybe I'm a moron, but I really hoped it would never get to the point where WDW management would start sticking it to the kids just to make a buck.

This is just sad and pathetic. If I can confirm it to be true, they're definitely getting a nastygram from me. It's bad enough you already have to pay $40 to eat a low-grade Denny's buffet just for the rare privilege of your kids getting about 10 seconds with the Fab Five. Now you want me to fork over $30 more for the opportunity to get a pic with Mickey??

Come on ... is there no end to what you'll do to line your own pockets???

BrerGnat
09-18-2010, 11:50 AM
Sigh ... maybe I'm a moron, but I really hoped it would never get to the point where WDW management would start sticking it to the kids just to make a buck.

It's bad enough you already have to pay $40 to eat a low-grade Denny's buffet just for the rare privilege of your kids getting about 10 seconds with the Fab Five. Now you want me to fork over $30 more for the opportunity to get a pic with Mickey??

Now, now Ian. Let's not overreact. ;)

Nobody HAS to pay for a character buffet. The characters are in the parks for free for photo ops/meets. The character buffets are attractive to people who do NOT WANT to wait in the lines. You are ALREADY paying out the nose for this "convenience". I mean, seriously, those breakfast buffets are about 300% inflated in price over what they should charge for that food.

My guess is that too many people were "hogging" Mickey when he arrived at their table. This leads to other tables having either a very short time, or NO time at all with Mickey during their meal. That leads to complaining that they didn't get enough time with the characters, etc. I'm guessing, since Mickey is the most popular, they decided to have him hang out in the front, so EVERYONE could have a fair chance at having some personal time with him. Like was mentioned, the CMs were accepting personal cameras to take pictures, and as a parent you could certainly stand off to the side and take the pictures yourself. Disney doesn't force you to buy their photo...

Sorry, but as someone who has NEVER paid for a character buffet (and NEVER will), I just can't see a justification to complain about this policy change. Now, if they decided to have NO characters "roaming" and still called it a "character buffet", THAT would be worth complaining about.

Ian
09-18-2010, 02:14 PM
Nobody HAS to pay for a character buffet.A fair point ... I still find it distasteful, though, to invite someone to "Chef Mickey's", where they'll clearly be expecting some quality one-on-one time with Mickey, and then shove Mickey off in a corner somewhere hawking $30 pictures.

honeebee86
09-18-2010, 02:53 PM
Honestly, I think Disney is doing this to take advantage of people. I have been to Chef Mickey's twice in the past 6 months and have notice a lot of people (including us) skip getting their picture taken. I think they are doing this because now the only way to see the most important character (to most) is to stand in line for the photo. A lot of people won't have a camera with them or even think to pull it out. So, then their only option will be to purchase the photo package if they really wanted the picture.

gerald72
09-18-2010, 03:10 PM
Sounds similar to what is apparently happening at Donald's at Animal Kingdom. Donald now greets out front there, too.

As long as they allow you to use your own camera I don't have a problem with it. It might even be an improvement, especially if they would have a photopass photographer.
But if they barred all pictures except their own inflated price one, i would be upset. You are already paying for a character buffet, and to add a fee on top of that is just plain wrong.

The arguement of "you don't Have to go to a character meal" is a bad one. This kind of argument will drive people from going to Disney altogether.

gerald72
09-18-2010, 03:17 PM
This is also similar to akershus. Belle stands at the entrance there. We didn't like that when we ate there. It's just another line to wait in. In fact, we skipped Belle and went directly to the buffet. We were hungry.
My daughter brought up a good point. She doesn't like when the photographers tell her how to stand in the photos. I also prefer the more natural poses when the characters come around to the tables.
Obviously Disney is doing this to sell additional photos. But I'm sure it'll drive a percentage of people away.

BrerGnat
09-18-2010, 04:07 PM
But if they barred all pictures except their own inflated price one, i would be upset. You are already paying for a character buffet, and to add a fee on top of that is just plain wrong.

I totally agree with you here.

The arguement of "you don't Have to go to a character meal" is a bad one. This kind of argument will drive people from going to Disney altogether.

How is it a bad argument? Honestly? It's very true. Like I said, in about 15 trips to WDW (and countless visits to DLR), I have NEVER eaten at a character buffet. To me, it boils down to the simple fact that the food is INSANELY overpriced, and after all, since the characters ARE available in the parks for "free", I see no value in the character meals. I can't eat more than one plate of food at any one given meal. I would NEVER pay $40 for a plate of eggs, fruit, and waffles. Sorry. Breakfast is the cheapest food to make...I can't even fathom spending close to $200 for my family of 4 to eat breakfast....for that kind of money, I better get endless Mimosas and caviar on my toast...

I know many, MANY people do see the "value" in skipping the lines in the parks, but that is a matter of choice. The way we handle this in my family is "you can stand in line for 30 minutes to meet Pooh and Tigger OR you can stand in line for 30 minutes to ride Dumbo." The kids choose. As an adult, I can certainly wait in line to meet my favorite character if I REALLY want to. If I see a favorite, and there's a short (or no) line, I'll hop over for a photo and a hug. If there is a huge line, I skip it. Simple.

I guess there are just two different kinds of theme park visitors: those who will do whatever it takes to spend some time with characters, and those who won't.

Figment!
09-18-2010, 06:26 PM
For what it's worth, a few Character Cast Members have reported that this change is currently a trial offering.

Assuming that this is indeed a trial, Guests should be providing feedback either in-person or via WDW Guest Communications if they feel this change on a permanent basis would alter their plans for future visits.

Guest Communications contact:

e-mail address :
[email protected]

Postal Address:
Walt Disney World
Guest Communications
P.O. Box 10040
Lake Buena Vista FL 32830-0040

gerald72
09-19-2010, 03:00 AM
I believe it is a bad argument because:

I personally like character meals. I don't like paying an additional $30 on top of inflated prices.
Then I hear the argument 'if you don't like it, don't go'
People not going to character meals isn't going to make them better. They should correct the problem to make it better, not say 'well then don't come'

it reminds me of a situation on the game Rollercoaster Tycoon. You had to keep you guests' happiness level over a certain percentage by turning your unhappy guests happy. You could also get the same result by taking all the unhappy guests and throwing them into a lake and drowning them, thereby only being left with happy guests.
It sounds like telling people not to come is more along the lines of the second option.

Jordan0301
09-19-2010, 06:48 AM
This is pretty standard with quite a few dinning options isnt it?

Cinderella for a while outside CRT...Donald at AK...Chef Mickey's Dinner used to not have Goofy in rotation but at the front (sometimes with a cupcake station), Hollywood and Vine tried it with Minnie for a while. We were in talks to put Charming and Cindy in the lobby at Grand Fla instead of rotation. Things come and go in phases.

If Disney ever took away the option to use your own camera...it would be a travesty, but until that time, just say no thanks for their pic and use your free camera. Probably a better photo op than at the table anyway IMO.

vizsla
09-19-2010, 08:31 AM
I will see if this is true. We will be at Chef Mickey's this Wednesday, I hope this is not what they are planning to do because I feel it is in poor taste to guests. :thedolls:

BrerGnat
09-19-2010, 11:50 AM
People not going to character meals isn't going to make them better. They should correct the problem to make it better, not say 'well then don't come'

People not going to character meals (LARGE numbers of people) will definitely make Disney sit up and analyze WHY they are not coming. I doubt they would be happy with a 50% table occupancy at Chef Mickey's all of a sudden. The way that you enact change is to, first and foremost, STOP supporting something you disagree with. Money talks. Going, paying, and holding a grudge will only show Disney that you are nothing more than a sucker. And, they got you!

I still firmly believe that this change IS due to complaints about not getting one on one time with Mickey, not getting enough, feeling rushed, etc. The idea to charge $30 for the photo is nothing new to Disney. Souvenir photos are a HUGE money maker all around (I bet you have quite a few on ride cameras in your RCT scenarios...I do!). But, as mentioned, you can STILL use your own camera, and I really think Disney will never cross that line of saying that you can't.

If you don't like it, don't support it! Write to Disney and let them know that you won't. Only then will they get the point that something needs to change.

DizneyFreak2002
09-19-2010, 01:43 PM
Apparently he is back to walking around the restaurant.. So either the testing failed (I.E. no pictures sold and many complaints) or there was an issue we know nothng about that caused this temporary placement... I think the testing failed...

PalmettoKev
09-19-2010, 02:03 PM
Apparently he is back to walking around the restaurant.. So either the testing failed (I.E. no pictures sold and many complaints) or there was an issue we know nothng about that caused this temporary placement... I think the testing failed...

This is good news. Enough with the nickel-and-diming, WDW. We love you, but we all have budgets.

JPL
09-19-2010, 02:25 PM
Considering that last June they wouldn't let me take a picture with my camera when it was the stupid plate picture. I highly doubt they will let you do it with Mickey since that is a much more likely photo to purchase. I am not a fan of the buy your pictures idea at a character breakfast. And for those asking about Phitipass this picture can not be put on your card and be purchased on the spot. Another reason I'm not a fan of it since I don't want to carry it around with me even if it's the best picture ever!

DizneyFreak2002
09-19-2010, 02:44 PM
This is good news. Enough with the nickel-and-diming, WDW. We love you, but we all have budgets.

Very good news indeed.... Apparently the testing failed to sell more pictures... I love with a money grubbing scheme TDO designs FAILS..

plutosnana
09-19-2010, 03:02 PM
They totally made yet another rip off!!! :mad:
And now no more mickey!!!

DizneyFreak2002
09-19-2010, 04:36 PM
They totally made yet another rip off!!! :mad:
And now no more mickey!!!

Mickey is back making his rounds at the tables... So, Mickey is still there... Take a breath, relax LOL....

The scheme failed...

Kim Possible
09-20-2010, 06:08 PM
Mickey is back making his rounds at the tables... So, Mickey is still there... Take a breath, relax LOL....

The scheme failed...

hahah it did!

#1donaldfan
09-21-2010, 12:10 PM
"Chef Mickey's" implies that Mickey is the chef and the chef is to table hop, checking on his creations, right ?? I'm glad he's back, however I really didn't miss him this past June, it was so busy plus Minnie gave us a few extra special minutes with a teenage son....he was somewhat embarrassed !! :thedolls:

princessgirls
09-21-2010, 12:17 PM
A fair point ... I still find it distasteful, though, to invite someone to "Chef Mickey's", where they'll clearly be expecting some quality one-on-one time with Mickey, and then shove Mickey off in a corner somewhere hawking $30 pictures.

DISNEY HAS GONE OVER THE TOP WITH THIS ONE!!!

I'm thinking that my days going to Chef Mickey's are done!!
Personally, Fred and I would rather hit all the nicer places to eat and skip all of this character buffet stuff...but it's more about my girls and they LOVE this stuff! Seriously, Chef Mickey's but Mickey isn't going to visit you...
Julie:mickey:

GothMickey
09-21-2010, 12:25 PM
DISNEY HAS GONE OVER THE TOP WITH THIS ONE!!!

I'm thinking that my days going to Chef Mickey's are done!!
Personally, Fred and I would rather hit all the nicer places to eat and skip all of this character buffet stuff...but it's more about my girls and they LOVE this stuff! Seriously, Chef Mickey's but Mickey isn't going to visit you...
Julie:mickey:

Chef Mickey IS going to visit you. Mickey is back to making the rounds.

Mickey'sGirl
09-21-2010, 12:25 PM
I know many, MANY people do see the "value" in skipping the lines in the parks, but that is a matter of choice. It is not a choice for us. As you know Nat, both of our boys are Autistic, and DS6 has extreme sensory issues. There is no way he could EVER wait in a line in the sun or in the heat to meet a character. There is no way he could wait in one of those Judge's tent lines with the ambient noise and closed queues for any time at all. Character meals are the only way he ever got to meet any of the guys at all when he was little, unless we came across the fabled "no wait!" character in the park. I chose to pay for the four of us (sometimes 5 or 6 of us if our parents were with us) so that he could meet the big guy. Bad food or not, the interaction made it worth it for us.

Other posters have said that this "test" failed. I hope that it is a permanent one!

BrerGnat
09-21-2010, 01:55 PM
It is not a choice for us. As you know Nat, both of our boys are Autistic, and DS6 has extreme sensory issues. There is no way he could EVER wait in a line in the sun or in the heat to meet a character. There is no way he could wait in one of those Judge's tent lines with the ambient noise and closed queues for any time at all. Character meals are the only way he ever got to meet any of the guys at all when he was little, unless we came across the fabled "no wait!" character in the park. I chose to pay for the four of us (sometimes 5 or 6 of us if our parents were with us) so that he could meet the big guy. Bad food or not, the interaction made it worth it for us.

Other posters have said that this "test" failed. I hope that it is a permanent one!

I totally understand your point. Of my two boys, my older one wants to have NOTHING to do with the characters, and the noise and chaos of a character meal would put him over the edge. My younger one, however, LOVES the characters, and will gladly wait in a 30 minute line in the hot sun for the chance to hug his pals. So, the characters are not a necessity to our touring plan, unless one catches younger DS's eye and he wants to wait in the line. We split up when that happens.

I still maintain that it's a choice to attend a character meal. A tough choice, sometimes. An expensive choice? Absolutely. But, still a choice. For example, we are only a family of 4, but our boys will NOT share a bed, with anyone. So, we have to book a deluxe resort with a daybed, or stay in a bunk bed room at the WL. That makes our vacation possible and enjoyable. Do I complain that Disney should offer daybeds in the value resorts, so I can still get what we need, at a lower price? No. It is my choice to pay more for the accommodations that suit my family.

Some people here are acting like character meals are a necessity, and it's just not the case. Park Tickets are a necessity. Hotel rooms are a necessity. Character meals are an optional thing to partake in.

You said yourself that you chose to pay the money for the interaction. This is the key here. And, it sounds like Disney figured out pretty quickly that NOT having Mickey make the rounds at Chef Mickey's took away from the guests character experience enough that it was not worth it. Good for them!

Mickey'sGirl
09-21-2010, 02:15 PM
I agree with you on the necessities.

BUT ... a "Mickey" character interaction at a "Chef Mickey's" character meal is a reasonable expectation. One should not have to pay even more than the expensive buffet price for that.

I'm just glad that they (apparently) listened to the public!:mickey:

GothMickey
09-21-2010, 02:33 PM
I agree with you on the necessities.

BUT ... a "Mickey" character interaction at a "Chef Mickey's" character meal is a reasonable expectation. One should not have to pay even more than the expensive buffet price for that.

I'm just glad that they (apparently) listened to the public!:mickey:

The thing is this was purley a money grab by TDO. By putting Mickey out front basically was forcing the hand of the guests to buy that memorable $40.00 picture. I am willing to bet they do not sell many packages at the tables of the picutre of you and your family/friends prior to seating, without the characters. Now they were giving you a reason to cough up another $40.00 along with $45.00 or more, per person, for the meal.

You would have thought TDO would have learned in the few months since Potter has been open that MORE money is being spent at Universal and LESS money spent at WDW. People aren't going to cough up that $40.00 for a picture after spending $300 or more in Wizarding World.

If I was VP or CEO, I would have heads on a platter today for instituting such a miserable failure. This isn't the first failure; there is a pattern with TDO of cheapness and greed and failure from management. Iger and Staggs needs to take out that axe and start chopping off the dead wood or else the future of WDW will not be so bright.

I mean, how much more evidence do they need to realize this management crew in WDW is more than terrible? They wanted a cheap version of Star Tours 2.0. Upper management forced them to accept the complete refubishment. They weren't on board for the FLE. Again, upper management forced them to accept it. I can go on and on about the cheapness, greed, and failures but I would be here all week.

Figment!
09-21-2010, 03:11 PM
Moderator Note

Since this change appears to have only been a trial, I have updated the thread title and the first post to prevent any confusion.

diz_girl
09-21-2010, 03:46 PM
I agree that character meals are a choice made by those who can afford it. However, with a possible exception regarding CRT, the mechanics of character meals at WDW have largely been unchanged for decades. You go in, pay for a moderately overpriced buffet, and then meet the characters that visit your table. With CRT, I thought that at least the picture was included with (in this case) a very overpriced meal. But now, as Ian so accurately put it, Team WDO wants to now...

shove Mickey off in a corner somewhere hawking $30 pictures.

They tried it with Donald and then Mickey. I was expecting to see another thread where this was happening with Pooh. Thankfully, this experiment failed and I can see how it easily could. People who weren't expecting this didn't get their picture taken with Mickey with their own camera, then found themselves being shaken down for $30 if they wanted to get the picture that WDW took, because they weren't getting a picture with Mickey any other way since he was no longer visiting tables. I can visualize A LOT of angry parents looking for somewhere to complain about it.

The next time we're going to WDW, I was planning to visit Mickey at 'Ohana. Hopefully this scheme doesn't resurface when I'm there.

As for the complaint about the character meals being expensive, they're really not. Just go to a TS (not CS) restaurant at WDW for breakfast and see how much a meal costs you. A character breakfast isn't considerably more than that (about $20, plus tip). Brunch at any decent restaurant near me is at least $20, which is the same price for most character meals at WDW, excepting CRT. One place I was looking into for Sunday brunch around here was $30 per adult on any given weekend, with a mandatory 20% tip. When I saw that price, I thought to myself that breakfast at CP or 'Ohana was a bargain in comparison.

GothMickey
09-21-2010, 03:56 PM
I agree that character meals are a choice made by those who can afford it. However, with a possible exception regarding CRT, the mechanics of character meals at WDW have largely been unchanged for decades. You go in, pay for a moderately overpriced buffet, and then meet the characters that visit your table. With CRT, I thought that at least the picture was included with (in this case) a very overpriced meal. But now, as Ian so accurately put it, Team WDO wants to now...

They tried it with Donald and then Mickey. I was expecting to see another thread where this was happening with Pooh. Thankfully, this experiment failed and I can see how it easily could. People who weren't expecting this didn't get their picture taken with Mickey with their own camera, then found themselves being shaken down for $30 if they wanted to get the picture that WDW took, because they weren't getting a picture with Mickey any other way since he was no longer visiting tables. I can visualize A LOT of angry parents looking for somewhere to complain about it.

The next time we're going to WDW, I was planning to visit Mickey at 'Ohana. Hopefully this scheme doesn't resurface when I'm there.

As for the complaint about the character meals being expensive, they're really not. Just go to a TS (not CS) restaurant at WDW for breakfast and see how much a meal costs you. A character breakfast isn't considerably more than that (about $20, plus tip). Brunch at any decent restaurant near me is at least $20, which is the same price for most character meals at WDW, excepting CRT. One place I was looking into for Sunday brunch around here was $30 per adult on any given weekend, with a mandatory 20% tip. When I saw that price, I thought to myself that breakfast at CP or 'Ohana was a bargain in comparison.

I'll agree with you that the charascter meals aren't that much more expensive than regular sit down restaurants. The exception being CRT and Chef Mickey's. One year, Chef Mickey's cost everyone in my party about 45 to 50 bucks. That is way too expensive in my opinion. However, in Crystal Palace, the bill was a lot cheaper. Also, and maybe someone can correct me if I am wrong, but isn't Pooh a stand alone character in his character meal at Crystal Palace? Doesn't Pooh line up in the middle of the restaurant and if you want your picture taken, you have to stand online?

BrerSchultzy
09-24-2010, 11:22 AM
Also, and maybe someone can correct me if I am wrong, but isn't Pooh a stand alone character in his character meal at Crystal Palace? Doesn't Pooh line up in the middle of the restaurant and if you want your picture taken, you have to stand online?

Pooh was a walk-around in June. The only time I've seen stand-alone characters have been Mary Poppins at 1900 Park Fare (two years ago, maybe?) and Cinderella at CRT. I don't mind it, to be honest. As long as people can use their own cameras. In fact, I'd rather have a picture of the whole family with Mickey, than a picture of me with half a Mickey waffle in my mouth. Half our character meal photos have random families in the background, and invariably one of them has their mouth wide open with a forkful of potatoes in it. As long as there are other characters walking around, and we can use our own camera, it's no problem to me.

pianobabe
10-02-2010, 06:50 PM
We went to Chef Mickey's on 9/18 for dinner while they were still doing the trial. Our party consisted of 3 families, including 2 kids. While we will eat various meals together, we are rarely in the same parks at the same time where we could pose for a group picture. To have a picture of all of us together with Mickey was fun. Mickey took his time signing the kids autograph books and posing for all of the pictures we wanted. We posed for the pictures using WDW's photographer and camera as well as the CM using our cameras too. When the CM brought out the various picture packages, we looked through them and decided we didn't want them. We told them no and that was the end of that. We were not forced to buy the pictures, nor were we given a hard time for not buying them.
Chef Mickey's is a meal we have done with our large group each year for the past 6 years. Whether we get to spend time with Mickey by him coming around to the tables or greeting him in the lobby, it is not a big deal to us where he is. We enjoy this meal and it is one we will continue to do.

vizsla
10-04-2010, 05:24 AM
Was at Chef Mickey's on Sept. 23rd and Mickey was present as well as all the other characters.

waymickey
10-08-2010, 07:58 PM
I was in epcot when I saw mickey walk by with his handler. I did not want my picture with Mickey and decided to snap a picture of him with my own camera. The handler put her hand up in front of my camera and said no pictures please. I was shocked and asked why. She told me that I had to wait in line to take his picture . When I told her I did not want a picture with him just to take a picture of him. she said no and stepped in front of Mickey. I went to managment and complained and was told the handler can do what they feel is in the best interest of the characters to protect them. :mad: WHAT!!! How is taking a picture of him going to hurt him??:-o Since when can't you take pictures of the characters in the parks without waiting in a line? Sad so sad :(

Mousemates
10-10-2010, 12:22 AM
not exactly a magical moment to be sure...perhaps it was someone new on the job who was a little too gung-ho in their new duties. but whatever the reason, it (holding a hand in front of your camera) seems a bit juvenile and I would have complained to someone too.

dixielandings
10-11-2010, 12:01 AM
I was in epcot when I saw mickey walk by with his handler. I did not want my picture with Mickey and decided to snap a picture of him with my own camera. The handler put her hand up in front of my camera and said no pictures please. I was shocked and asked why. She told me that I had to wait in line to take his picture . When I told her I did not want a picture with him just to take a picture of him. she said no and stepped in front of Mickey. I went to managment and complained and was told the handler can do what they feel is in the best interest of the characters to protect them. :mad: WHAT!!! How is taking a picture of him going to hurt him??:-o Since when can't you take pictures of the characters in the parks without waiting in a line? Sad so sad :(

This is unheard of! I would've given GR an earful...ridiculous. I hope the above poster is correct and it was an isolated case of a too-big-for-their-britches CM.

sherriepaul
10-11-2010, 10:28 AM
I just saw this thread, and thought that would be horrible not to have mickey making the rounds of the table. I still have a picture from when I was 7/8 in 1984, at Chef mickey's with Mickey and Minnie.
So glad things are back to normally; I'm taking my kids for the first time when they are 7 next year, and definitely want to get the same shot!

Anyways what would be the point of calling it Chef Mickey's if you could only stand in front of the restaurant with mickey?!