PDA

View Full Version : Grand Floridian or Polynesian for Christmas?

alaMode
09-17-2010, 09:36 PM
Hola!

We're contemplating making a 3-4 day WDW pit stop on our way to Miami Beach for the Christmas holidays.

Can you tell me about the holiday decorations at the Gran Flo and at the Poly? Which one is the most festive?

Thanks!

eandrsmom
09-17-2010, 09:45 PM
We stayed at the Poly for Christmas a couple of years ago. It was decorated quite nicely. However, we visited the GF for dinner while we were there, and found it to be beautiful. There was an enormous Christmas tree in the lobby with a live band playing Christmas music. In addition, they had a life size Gingerbread house. The whole atmosphere really put us in the Christmas spirit.

buzznwoodysmom
09-17-2010, 10:16 PM
I've visited both during the holidays and have to say, as much as I love the Poly, that the GF is definitely more festive for Christmas. However, if I were choosing a festive holiday resort my pick would be Wilderness Lodge, hands down. Its my favorite resort to be at or visit during the holidays.

alaMode
09-17-2010, 11:13 PM
We're going with the Grand Floridian.

I imagine that the Wilderness Lodge will also be quite festive, but we're staying there for MNSSHP and I wanted to try someplace new for MVMCP.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts!

SBETigg
09-17-2010, 11:18 PM
I was going to chime in to mention how absolutely magical GF is at Christmas, but you've made your decision. Good choice! My two favorite resorts, but GF is the one for Christmas.

joonyer
09-17-2010, 11:36 PM
we always celebrate a rustic country Christmas at home in our cabin, so we think Wilderness Lodge is the best WDW resort for Christmas That GIANT tree in the lobby, oh wow!

Mousemates
09-17-2010, 11:44 PM
great choice on the GF...for Christmas it's the best of the monorail resorts.

DVC2004
09-17-2010, 11:59 PM
GF is best for Christmas. It's just magical! The rest of the year though I'd pick Poly.

DebK
09-18-2010, 08:53 AM
We've stayed at both in December and would definitely give the nod to the GF......

disneymom2000
09-18-2010, 06:14 PM
I resort hopped a couple of years ago to look at the decorations at all the properties. Between the Grand Floridian and the Polynesian, the decorations were quiet beautiful at the GF. The Poly had nice decorations, mostly poinsettias and a few wreaths here and there but it was too dark for my taste. The most beautiful resort decorations by far was the Broadwalk Inn. From the time you drove up to the door, to the lobby and all the stairwells, and balcony. Amazing. Wilderness Lodge was really beautiful too but I was so taken with the BWI. I will have to stay there at Christmas another year.

MinniesMom
09-20-2010, 07:49 AM
Another vote for GF :) Love the gingerbread house!

wmdaddy
09-20-2010, 01:37 PM
Christmas - Grand Floridian.

Any other time of year - Polynesian.

pox24
09-20-2010, 01:39 PM
Done both, no contest... The Grand Floridian:thumbsup:

beksy
09-22-2010, 06:04 PM
Great decision! Last trip we spent a day just hopping from resort to resort to check out the decorations at the Deluxes. We loved the Grand Floridian, especially the gingerbread house. There was also a photopass photographer in front of the giant tree that took our pic which was a nice touch.

iheartdisney
09-23-2010, 02:29 PM
GF has a more classic Christmas feel but personally, our family loves Wilderness Lodge at Christmas.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
09-23-2010, 11:23 PM
Good choice. It was truly beautifully decorated for the holidays.

ledudes
09-24-2010, 08:29 AM
I like the feel of the Wilderness Lodge at Christmas. It has the big fireplace and giant tree and a bunch of trees around the hotel. It has a real lodgy feel.

alaMode
11-02-2010, 09:19 PM
and we absolutely LOVED it!
I changed our Christmas reservation from GF to WL (I saved $400!) I can't wait to see that lobby decked out for the holidays!

MickyLuver
11-03-2010, 07:46 PM
I would have to say that GF is best hands down and sometimes during the holiday if your lucky they have someone sing Christmas songs from the balcony. We live so close to disney we sometimes hotel hop to see the decorations and then go home. I think the year we visited and hotel hopped was 2006 or 2007 and Vanessa Williams sang from the balcony at the GF. If I am wrong someone correct me,(I'm old with a bad memory). :blush: But I am sure it was her.

It was crowded and I suppose most hotels are crowded during the holiday and that was the only issue, but well worth it.

faline
11-03-2010, 08:17 PM
If these are your two choices, I would definitely select the Grand Floridian! There was a time when we thought the Poly did a decent job of decorating for the holidays but that has seemed to decrease over the years. Most recently, I'd say the Poly is minimally decorated for the Christmas holiday - the Grand Floridian much more so!