PDA

View Full Version : Do walkups exist at TS restaurants?

andrew&ryansmommy
09-17-2010, 12:39 PM
Sorry for all the questions lately, but I have had to change our itinerary a bit and can no longer get our reservations...is it possible to get a table without a reservation at say Sci Fi, 50s cafe, or other restaurants at the parks?

MOJoe
09-17-2010, 12:57 PM
Well it depends. If you are going during a very busy season, like Spring Break, the week after Christmas, or the peak of summer vacation, then it's really hard to walk in. The more popular the restaurant, the less likely you will get in. If, however, you are going during a slower period then it shouldn't be a problem.

Even during very busy times, if you are willing to wait, you may be able to get in a very popular place like Sci-Fi. But don't expect to be seated during prime dining hours.

Strmchsr
09-17-2010, 01:02 PM
:ditto: I've heard of folks sometimes getting a walk-up at those places but it's usually a 45-60 min wait. On busy days they won't take any.

Melanie
09-17-2010, 01:05 PM
We got one on Labor Day at Le Cellier, and we were seated within 10 minutes.

We recognized that the park wasn't busy and thought we'd take a chance. You just never know.

SBETigg
09-17-2010, 01:13 PM
Sometimes even in busy times some of the places will be taking walk-ups-- not for the most popular places, probably, and usually only on off hours, like right when they open or close to closing. At the end of July, I did a walk-up for Chefs de France and was seated quickly, but it was lunch and they had just opened.

What I find better than taking a chance with walking up most times is to just call Disney Dining and check on availability. That way, you won't waste time waiting in the check in line at the podium if there is little to no chance. And again, if there's a long line at the check-in desk, then there's a good chance they are not taking walk-ups.

SandmanGStefani24
09-17-2010, 01:19 PM
it's kinda hit or miss. we have walked up to sci-fi, and 50s diner. Sci-fi was a bit of a wait, but the Diner was faster. I also always walk up to Tokyo Dining.

The only time we didn't get in was at Le Cellier. We weren't banking on getting in, but took a gamble anyway. No harm in trying, right?

faline
09-17-2010, 01:22 PM
What I find better than taking a chance with walking up most times is to just call Disney Dining and check on availability. That way, you won't waste time waiting in the check in line at the podium if there is little to no chance. And again, if there's a long line at the check-in desk, then there's a good chance they are not taking walk-ups.

What I found with this is that they cannot see any availability within the next hour so calling only works if you want to be seated at least an hour out.

We've had some luck with walk-ups. On a June trip a couple of years ago, we were able to walk up to both Le Cellier and Liberty Tree Tavern. We find that getting to the restaurant right at opening does increase your chances as does going after the main crush.

Stu29573
09-17-2010, 01:29 PM
We walked up at the Sci-Fi in mid June at noon and were seated within 10 minutes. However, this was probably pretty lucky. Still, it doesn't hurt to ask!

buzznwoodysmom
09-17-2010, 01:30 PM
This past June we did a somewhat last minute trip. I was able to get several ADRs before we left home, but we had quite a few days with nothing booked. What we did was called the ADR number from our room the night before or the morning of and asked what was available at the park we would be in. We were able to get ressies for each day this way. We didn't always get our first choice, but there was always something either in the park or in the resort area close to the park. We actually found a hidden gem by doing this. We would have never tried Grand Floridian Cafe, but it was all that was available near MK the day of my birthday. I just had to have a birthday dinner so we booked it and it was one of our favorite meals of the trip. If your not finding you have luck as walkups then perhaps you could try calling before you leave your room. Good luck.

John
09-17-2010, 01:53 PM
Since the DDP, the ability to get walkups anywhere has been greatly diminished.

It's one of my huge pet peeves with the plan. I think there should be some room for spontinaity and not everyone plans their Disney vacation to the hilt. I really think restaurants should leave a percentage of slots (even if it's small) to walk ups.

Gator
09-17-2010, 02:01 PM
On my honeymoon, I was able to get some walk ups at SciFi Diner and San Angel Inn. But that was 8 years ago before the DDP had become a hit, and before Disney was offering the DDP free nearly every month of the year. I'm not bashing the DDP - I love it. But it does take the spontenaeity out of your trip to WDW.

Ian
09-17-2010, 07:06 PM
I know it's Disney but people are often hot and cranky with the hostess. You would be surprised how far being nice will get you!Very good advice!

We went in February of this year and let me tell you ... my previous five trips I couldn't get an ADR at Le Cellier or Sci Fi to save our lives.

This trip we walked up to both and were seated with close to no wait. In fact, we made no ADR's for our entire trip and never waited more than 5 minutes anywhere we wanted to eat.

It can be done.

Melanie
09-17-2010, 07:34 PM
It's one of my huge pet peeves with the plan. I think there should be some room for spontinaity and not everyone plans their Disney vacation to the hilt. I really think restaurants should leave a percentage of slots (even if it's small) to walk ups.

I don't think there are many locals who would disagree with this line of thinking either.

Melanie
09-17-2010, 07:38 PM
It can be done.

And new mobile website should be a good tool to find last minute ADRs, but then technically it wouldn't be a walk-up. ;)

I was messing around with it this afternoon while waiting at the doctor's office, and I was impressed. Type in your date, number in party, meal preference (breakfast, lunch or dinner) and it pulls up everything available.

DisneyMom12
09-17-2010, 08:38 PM
We actually found a hidden gem by doing this. We would have never tried Grand Floridian Cafe.
I couldn't agree more. One of my favorites.

DVC2004
09-18-2010, 12:01 AM
We were there in August and could not get a ressie for Cape May Clam bake buffet. We decided to go- got there around 7 pm and they were very nice and said no problem, it would be 45 minutes. And it was. I was very happy becuase my family enjoyed it so much last trip and we all wanted to go back again.

beckylovestink
09-18-2010, 03:17 PM
And new mobile website should be a good tool to find last minute ADRs, but then technically it wouldn't be a walk-up.

I was messing around with it this afternoon while waiting at the doctor's office, and I was impressed. Type in your date, number in party, meal preference (breakfast, lunch or dinner) and it pulls up everything available.

What mobile site is this? Leaving in 6 days and would love to have it!:cloud9:

Melanie
09-18-2010, 08:25 PM
What mobile site is this? Leaving in 6 days and would love to have it!:cloud9:

It's the official Disney World mobile site. :thumbsup:

1EeyoreFan
09-18-2010, 08:35 PM
In May we were able to walk up and get into Le Cellier, Ohana, Garden Grill (the the land??) and San Angel. The trick was getting there early. We found this was easier to do before 6:00. when we were leaving La Cellier they were turning people away who were asking for openings.

PalmettoKev
09-19-2010, 01:44 PM
Walk-ups are pretty easy to get, apart from the truly high crowd periods of the year. Even if the ADR phone line says a given restaurant is book, check at the podium of the restaurant. They appear to hold a certain number of slots for walk-ups -- just go early for your targeted mealtime. :mickey:

goofygirl67
09-20-2010, 04:22 PM
Did it yesterday at Mama Melrose's around noon with no problem....LeCelier was a no go today though.

Figment104
09-22-2010, 12:28 PM
We actually did it twice this last weekend even with the free dinning being offered. On Sunday night we were able to eat at Tony's in MK, even though when we checked the dinning system they said it was full, and then on Monday we were able to get in at the Rose and Crown. Both of these were for dinner and pretty soon after the locations opened. We did try Le Cellier before Rose and Crown, but they told us they didn't have any openings for walk ups at that time.

So even during free dinning there are walk ups to be had.

Good luck!

Granny Jill A
09-22-2010, 02:34 PM
Since the DDP, the ability to get walkups anywhere has been greatly diminished.

YES! I agree with you 100%. This business of having to decide so far in advance what you're going to eat is for the birds.

ANG
09-22-2010, 03:22 PM
For our first 2 trips to WDW we didn't have any reservations. We never waited more than 30 minutes.

ILoveLegos
09-22-2010, 04:01 PM
Another factor in your favor for walk-ups is having a small party. I'm usually just a party of 1 or 2 when I've been successful. It was also during the slow season and often it's for a late lunch or early dinner. Some of the easiest most reliably "yes" for me in the past has been the Resturant in Italy (back when it was Alfredo's I never had a ressie), Morocco (easy to get in there), Sci-Fi (never had a ressie or waited more than 10 minutes). The hardest to walk in on is always Le Celiere (My father always asks for a wait time when he passes through :secret:). A conversational manner, a big smile and a lot of patience really does pay off. Well, that and having a counter service as a back up plan! :blush:

Sylvia
09-22-2010, 10:24 PM
I haven't made ADRs in advance for years. I prefer to be spontaneous, and if I'm unable to get a TS time, I'm happy with the choices at CS locations in the parks and in the resorts. But, I've always had luck at 50s Prime Time. I remember one Saturday I decided to give it a try at 7:00 PM. I was seated within 10 minutes. I've found that if you're flexible, you might just get a nice dose of Pixie Dust.:mickey:

biodtl
09-23-2010, 11:21 AM
It depends, but the biggest thing (other than time of year; high occupancy = less walk-ups) is to be flexible. I make ADRs for anything I can't miss and everything else, I am totally flexible about kind of food, eating times, etc and we get by just fine.