View Full Version : Poly: Pampered and Indulged Day Two

SBETigg
09-15-2010, 08:02 AM
The Spoiled:
Sherri, 40-something
Sean, 40-something
Nick, 19
Elissa, 17

Objective: One big last family trip before both kids are in college and schedules/circumstances prohibit future family stays.

August 19, Thursday.

We all sleep slightly later than planned and get to Epcot at around 10:30, only to find (surprise!) the Soarin' fastpasses are already for much later in the day and the line is over 60 minutes long. No one wants to wait. Maybe later. Off to Test Track, and Fastpasses to save the day (an hour wait there, too). The husband's knee has been bothering him for weeks, and it's starting to impact our mobility. He had a knee replacement a year ago, but it's already giving him trouble again. He'll wear a brace, but won't use a cane or consider renting a scooter. But we have nine days, and I've been to WDW recently enough to satisfy my ride cravings (a month ago on business). Plus, the kids can run off without us if they want. Taking it easy and going slow is fine with me.

We get some water and hobble over to ride Spaceship Earth while we wait for our Test Track FP time. There's a twenty minute wait, and I convince the crew to wait it out. Most of the line is in the shade. Most. Predictably, we're in line for five minutes before the husband starts getting grouchy from the heat (and we haven't even hit the sunny stretch of line yet). But the wait is worth it! It's cool and dark in Spaceship Earth and Judy Dench is an impeccable narrator (though, yes, she's no Jeremy Irons). The kids have fun with the final scene and I realize they were well aware of the camera early on and in a competition to make the goofiest face. Nick wins. Hilarious.

Off to Test Track, about a twenty minute wait even with Fastpasses in hand. But I love the queue and the music (for now) and I'm so excited just to be there. It's a great ride. After Test Track, it's almost time for lunch. We meander over to Mexico and I'm surprised when the line just to check in goes almost out the door. Good thing I'm early for my ADR, as usual. While I wait to check in, Sean goes off to check out the new Cava del Tequila (he's pretty happy about it) and the kids shop around. After twenty minutes (yes, just in line for lunch!) I finally get to the desk and get my buzzer and the wait is on (again).

I meet the husband at La Cava and decline to ask how many he's already sampled (don't want to know- that knee seems a little better) but he has a Tequila Flight (the more expensive one) waiting for us to share. I'm impressed. I don't know much about tequila, but I'm a quick study and it's all pretty darn good. I especially like the tomato garlic "palate cleanser" and the sipping tequila. Yum. Barely buzzed but still not being buzzed for our seat, we grab the kids and head to ride what I'll always think of as El Rio del Tiempo. It's a mild ride, but Small World is down for our whole trip, so I enjoy my dose of little dancing dolls here.

Done with the ride, and still no buzzer going off for us to be seated. We watch a man yell at the manager because he missed his 12 pm seating thinking his ADR was for 2. They're trying to accommodate him, but it's crowded. I decide to check in at the podium (skipping the line this time) to see what is happening to our ADR, in case the buzzer isn't working, and yes, we're seated immediately. Excellent.

Lunch at San Angel Inn has always been good for us, and this time, even better. We're not in prime riverside seats, but we don't care. The atmosphere is still lovely and the son enjoys watching the volcano go off, and finds a shooting star. Happy kids mean happy mom, even when they're all grown up. I start with a mango margarita (love those). And wow, let me mention now that the chips and salsa are actually good! Shocker. Not the same ol' round tostitos they have served in the past. They are warm. Are they fresh? Or a better brand of Tostitos? I have no idea, but much improved. Thumbs up, San Angel.

Nick and I (the seafood lovers) share an appetizer, the Tostados de Jalba- Fried corn tortillas topped with shredded crab meat, mixed with chipolte mayo, red onions, cilantro, and lime juice. Elissa and Sean share the Tostados de Tinga - Fried corn tortillas topped with black beans, lettuce, onions, avocado, tomato marinated chicken, sour cream, and fresh cheese. Nick and I enjoy ours, but Elissa and Sean ooh and aah over theirs like they've discovered a new culinary wonder. I guess it's good. On to entrees. So much for variety, three of us get the Tampiquena Con Chilaquiles - Grilled beef tenderloin served with Chilaquiles (layers of fried corn tortilla, green toa chicken enchilada topped with ranchera sauce and esquites). And one of us (Elissa) gets the Enchiladas Verdes de Pollo - Corn tortilla stuffed with chicken, topped with sour cream, fresh cheese and onions, covered with green tomatilla sauce, and served with black beans. We're all really happy with our food. The steak is surprisingly flavorful and tender. The chilaquiles is remarkably spicy. I like spicy, and I manage to eat a few bites (just enough really, filling meal) before I cave to the fire in my mouth. Just a tad too spicy (which is surprising, considering most Disney food is so mild). But nothing the mango margarita can't handle. I have the flan for dessert (which I love, perfectly creamy and sweet) while the others get vanilla ice cream. My verdict: Great atmosphere, excellent service (our server was really on top of things, and always there when we needed him), and genuinely very good food. Hard to believe perhaps, but I'm giving it four stars out of five.

After our huge meal, we all need naps. We've been using the phone app from the Touring Plans site and it tells us that FPs are all out at Soarin and the wait is 80 minutes. Yipes. We head for one last ride on Test Track, single rider line- 10 minute wait. And then head back to the Polynesian for an afternoon of R and R. But we're feeling refreshed before you know it and after two hours of relaxing (napping for some, pool time for others), we are ready to head back to Epcot to shop around World Showcase and maybe catch Illuminations.

Nick is a little frustrated with this plan. Shopping is not his thing. But World Showcase is irresistibly exciting, especially after we give them permission to spend our money, and he and his sister separate off from the pokey old folks to look around. Sean is in the mood to buy stuff. I never argue with a husband who wants to shop. We buy four Guinness glasses at Rose and Crown (shipped back to the Poly, love that!). Sean considers a soccer shirt, passes for now. I look at jewelry, pass for now. We head to France and share a wine flight. Cheers! To Morocco and look, but don't buy. To Japan. We buy a tea set and tea. And we share a sake tasting flight. I didn't know they had sake tastings. We enjoy the first two sake samples, but leave most of the third one, the dessert sake. That one takes a special taste for sake, not ours. Ew. On right by America (maybe later) and to Italy.

In Italy, we run into the kids. Nick has decided to start a hat collection. If you have to shop, find something fun to buy (he says). His first is a fedora from the UK (and it actually looks quite nice on him). Elissa has bought a silk kimono, and she's very excited about it, plus a few stuffed animals. They've both bought some gummy candy from Germany. And they're off- headed toward France. We decide to stick in Italy. It's an EMH night and almost time for Illuminations. We have a pretty good view, standing back near the shops. Slight tree obstruction, but no big deal. I love Illuminations. Wishes used to be my favorite fireworks display, but Illuminations has eclipsed it. The husband and I have such a great time watching, holding hands. And we're getting hungry. After Illuminations, on a whim, we just beat the rush to Via Napoli and put our name on the list for a table for four. Slight wait. We call the kids and ask them to join us.

Via Napoli is huge inside, much bigger than I expected. It's bright, clean, lovely but slightly cafeteria-esque in appearance. Very cool pizza ovens add a touch of whimsy and atmosphere. I love the Michelangelo like statues on the outside (very well done exterior really adds to the Italy pavilion). We all get pizza, individual sizes. A quattro formaggi (four cheese), a margherita (mozzerella, tomato, basil), an ortolano (veggie and mozzerella) and a piccante (spicy sausage with broccoli-rabe and mozzerella). At first, I like the piccante best (yummy sausage) but the abundance of broccoli-rabe (a bitter, spinach-like green) quickly becomes overwhelming. The four cheese is very rich, so rich that our cheese lover loves it but can't finish. The ortolano is delicious, almost just right. Except the Margherita is the real triumph in it's simplicity, very well done. All of the pizza is really fantastic and the crust is a triumph. My verdict: Via Napoli is a splendid addition to World Showcase and sure to be a hit with families and visitors of all ages. Four of five stars.

Epcot will be open for another few hours, but we've had enough. After pizza, we head over to ride Maelstrom (no wait) and back to the Poly to rest up for tomorrow, sure to be another exciting day (MK/Epcot, dinner at Tokyo Dining).

Previous report Polynesian: Pampered and Indulged Day One (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=175012)

yjgirl32
09-15-2010, 08:32 AM
Another great report. Thanks for sharing.

darthmacho
09-15-2010, 09:01 AM
Your writing skills are quite evident in your trip report. I feel priviledged to read, though I keep expecting a vampire to appear in an exciting plot twist. :secret:
Thanks for sharing. I really wish I had some tequila now. :sombrero:
I'm looking forward to reading more. I'm going to work on my trip report later, I'm a night worker in need of a nap...:coffee:

Melanie
09-15-2010, 09:05 AM
What the heck was up with your San Angel Inn ADR? Good thing you had fun things to occupy your wait. I'm going to have to try La Cava del Tequila soon! :marg:

Two great meals this day. I agree with you on the broccoli rabe, but I really enjoyed the pizza as well. Maybe they will get some feedback and cut back a bit?

Thanks for sharing your fun day 2!

T-Belle
09-15-2010, 09:07 AM
Mmmmmm Mango margarita!!! Another great report!

SBETigg
09-15-2010, 09:20 AM
What the heck was up with your San Angel Inn ADR? Good thing you had fun things to occupy your wait. I'm going to have to try La Cava del Tequila soon! :marg:

Two great meals this day. I agree with you on the broccoli rabe, but I really enjoyed the pizza as well. Maybe they will get some feedback and cut back a bit?

Thanks for sharing your fun day 2!

According to Touring Plans, crowds were supposed to be an 8, but Epcot was the park to pick. I have no idea how crowded it was at other parks that day, but Epcot was very crowded, and I think a good number of people were trying to walk in at San Angel Inn. They were turning people away, but I think they might have taken some early on and messed up their ADR schedule. I have no idea. But it didn't bother us. Cava del Tequila might have helped ease our stress levels. We were the only people in there at around 1:30 pm. Hey, it was five o'clock somewhere.

Adding to the congestion of the Mexico pavilion, people who were getting QS meals from the Mexico stand were coming in to eat in the entrance ways for the AC benefits and lack of places to sit. They were sitting everywhere with their food. So maybe a lot of those people were trying to be seated at San Angel before giving up and grabbing QS. And yet, the ride still had no wait.

Yes, I loved the piccante pizza and I do like broccoli rabe, but a little goes a long way.

WDWCrazyKaren
09-15-2010, 09:28 AM
A. A husband who likes to shop
B. A husband who will drink with you
C. A mom who gives two teens permission to spend their money
D.Four out of Five stars on pizza

Equals

Me wanted to be adopted by you! (even though I'm older)

What a great trip so far.

SBETigg
09-15-2010, 09:57 AM
A. A husband who likes to shop
B. A husband who will drink with you
C. A mom who gives two teens permission to spend their money
D.Four out of Five stars on pizza

Equals

Me wanted to be adopted by you! (even though I'm older)

What a great trip so far.

I did learn that when you tell teenagers that they can spend money, they do. They really do. How happy it makes them to not even think about it and just charge things to the room. But at the same time, they didn't go too crazy. They didn't make outlandish purchases or spend well beyond what we expected. So it was all good.

I hesitated to give the four stars, because it is only pizza and I have some Signature restaurants coming up. But I decided I can't really compare Narcoossee's to Via Napoli on the same scale. I have to judge them on their own merits. It was very good pizza. Plus, we're talking very good pizza -at WDW! Which is a whole new thing. So, yes, has to be four out of five stars. Very good food with no complaints on service or efficiency.

RedSoxFan
09-15-2010, 10:00 AM
A nice day in Epcot.
I wanted to try San Angel Inn in Dec but DH and DD didn't want to so we're going to Via Napoli instead. Glad to hear you like it.

Melanie
09-15-2010, 10:11 AM
Adding to the congestion of the Mexico pavilion, people who were getting QS meals from the Mexico stand were coming in to eat in the entrance ways for the AC benefits and lack of places to sit. They were sitting everywhere with their food. So maybe a lot of those people were trying to be seated at San Angel before giving up and grabbing QS. And yet, the ride still had no wait.

:crazy:

That pavilion can definitely get a little crazy crowded at times.

princessgirls
09-15-2010, 10:51 AM
Sherri,

A wonderful day!

The :marg:
The Shopping
The meals
EPCOT!!

It was all good!

Thanks for the report!
Julie:mickey:

Mousefever
09-15-2010, 12:12 PM
Yay! Report number 2! I read it twice. There are so many fun details to read!

I also never argue when my husband's in the mood to shop (unless we're in Home Depot). For some reason, Disney World brings out his desire to spend money.

Future World should have a prominent margarita stand at the entrance. That way Sean wouldn't have to complain about standing in a hot line for Spaceship Earth!

I love that Nick started a hat collection and ventured out from a baseball style hat. I think girls will dig his fedora.

Luckily, I have a very busy day, so I won't have time to wonder when you're next report is coming!

Amy

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-15-2010, 02:13 PM
Thanks for the report, I love your attention to detail...makes me feel like I'm experiencing it too:thumbsup:

BrerGnat
09-15-2010, 02:46 PM
More More More!!!!

Great reports so far! I am SO happy to hear that SAI served good chips and salsa! That has been a pet peeve of mine for some years now. Hopefully, they're back on track with "authentic" food, even down to the chips and salsa...

I can't wait to try Via Napoli on my next trip! It sounds so good. :) Glad to hear you had a positive experience there.

SBETigg
09-15-2010, 02:55 PM
Great reports so far! I am SO happy to hear that SAI served good chips and salsa! That has been a pet peeve of mine for some years now. Hopefully, they're back on track with "authentic" food, even down to the chips and salsa...

I know-- I actually thought of you! Isn't that wild? "I wonder what BrerGnat would make of these new chips." I didn't say it out loud of course, because my family would have been a little puzzled.

Ropachs
09-15-2010, 03:36 PM
I love your reports! You are a fantastic storyteller...:thumbsup:

faline
09-15-2010, 04:18 PM
This report is definitely making me hungry! Yummy food and shopping in Epcot?! How could a day get any better?!

Thanks for an excellent report! :thumbsup:

BrerGnat
09-15-2010, 09:41 PM
I know-- I actually thought of you! Isn't that wild? "I wonder what BrerGnat would make of these new chips." I didn't say it out loud of course, because my family would have been a little puzzled.

Really??? That's hilarious! That made me LOL. :silly:

Okay, maybe I need to tone down my hostility towards the Tostitos... ;)

It's hard, though...living in So. Cal. You get used to certain standards when eating Mexican food. :blush:

mouseketeer mom
09-16-2010, 06:17 AM
Hi Sherri!
Lovin' these reports! You and I overlapped on our trips, for sure. First you on your business trip, then you left and I arrived, then you on this trip, and me in DL, then you are home, and I'm leaving in 5 days for WDW again! It would've been nice to say hello! if our trips didn't miss each other! I love your food reviews, foodie that I am. You know, you are the first to call those noodles what they are, RAMEN noodles. People rave about them, and I'm always ????? wondering why????? They are exactly that, ramen noodles. I can't wait to read more to get excited over our Poly trip next week! Keep 'em coming.
Lisa

SBETigg
09-16-2010, 07:00 AM
You know, you are the first to call those noodles what they are, RAMEN noodles. People rave about them, and I'm always ????? wondering why????? They are exactly that, ramen noodles.
Lisa

They are! I thought they would be more like a standard lo mein, but they came out and I was a little taken aback. It's not that I don't like ramen. I just expected more and with all the other good things to fill up on at 'Ohana, the noodles do not cut it for me.

Yes, we overlapped. One of these days we might hit at the same time. I'm going to have to try Disneyland one of these days, too. How exciting that you get to go back to the Polynesian soon!

BrerGnat
09-16-2010, 03:04 PM
They are! I thought they would be more like a standard lo mein, but they came out and I was a little taken aback. It's not that I don't like ramen. I just expected more and with all the other good things to fill up on at 'Ohana, the noodles do not cut it for me.

Yes, we overlapped. One of these days we might hit at the same time. I'm going to have to try Disneyland one of these days, too. How exciting that you get to go back to the Polynesian soon!

Ramen noodles? For real? I have seen lots of pictures of these and they don't look like Ramen...have they cheapened these down lately too???

SBETigg
09-16-2010, 03:14 PM
They must have changed them? No idea. They were unmistakably ramen, same wave to the noodle, width, and texture. With vegetables and different seasoning, of course.

BrerGnat
09-16-2010, 04:53 PM
They must have changed them? No idea. They were unmistakably ramen, same wave to the noodle, width, and texture. With vegetables and different seasoning, of course.

I just did a Google IMAGE search for "Noodles at Ohana", and most of those don't look like Ramen to me. Most of the images are from 2009 though. So...yeah, maybe they switched to Ramen. That's disappointing. Although, I don't go there for the noodles. ;)

SBETigg
09-16-2010, 05:49 PM
I just did a Google IMAGE search for "Noodles at Ohana", and most of those don't look like Ramen to me. Most of the images are from 2009 though. So...yeah, maybe they switched to Ramen. That's disappointing. Although, I don't go there for the noodles. ;)

Oh my gosh, yes, I just did the same search and the pictures I saw were definitely not the noodles we had at 'Ohana. The pictured ones look like they have some substance and would be much tastier. Huh. I wonder what happened there. New noodles? They ran out for the night and substituted? But Lisa seems to have had the same noodles I had, so I don't know.

BrerGnat
09-16-2010, 09:48 PM
Oh my gosh, yes, I just did the same search and the pictures I saw were definitely not the noodles we had at 'Ohana. The pictured ones look like they have some substance and would be much tastier. Huh. I wonder what happened there. New noodles? They ran out for the night and substituted? But Lisa seems to have had the same noodles I had, so I don't know.

Well, both of your trips fell during FREE DINING. Coincidence?

I have a sort of aversion to Ramen noodles. Like everyone else, I lived off them Freshman year of college. Ate too much in that one year, and NEVER want to eat them again. :ack:

amorillo
09-17-2010, 07:59 AM
Sounds like another great day! DH & I also love shopping in World Showcase! :D

KylesMom
09-20-2010, 11:10 AM
Sherri, I think that's the most glowing report of San Angel that I've ever read on INTERCOT. Wow - I'm thinking we have to eat here! :mickey:

I had to smile about Nick's "reluctance" to shop around the world. I'm glad he ended up enjoying himself, along with the rest of your family. What a nice day - not too much rushing around, great food and a relaxing evening. Very nice! :mickey:

Joannelet
09-20-2010, 11:46 AM
Your lunch description has made me HUNGRY!!! I will have to try that place on the next trip!!!
Glad to hear that Via Napoli is good! Another good choice for families to choose from.
Great day of eating, drinking and shopping!!! :)

Dsnygirl
09-24-2010, 03:54 AM
Just realized I forgot to comment on this trip report when I first read it... your whole experience in Mexico made me laugh and was so enjoyable to read that I had to share it with my DH!

He said that the tequila tastings are going to be a "must do" for us next trip, esp. if it's a hot day (we're going in August next yr, too) and our girls are starting to (ever so kindly) remind us of that... e--v--e--r--y s--t--e--p around WS.... :D

DizNee143
09-30-2010, 09:39 PM
another great day!! very busy day!! you guys sure did manage to get alot done in one day!!
all the pizza sounds very yummy..and lunch sounded good too..with the way you described everything..i think we will be trying there on our next trip! :mickey:

pdrlkr
10-12-2010, 11:02 AM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey:

Jennifer_and_Chris
10-13-2010, 04:28 PM
With each of your reports, my trip is getting more expensive...

add Tequilla sampler to the list... :thumbsup: