barnaby
09-14-2010, 09:40 PM
Trip members:
Me, barnaby, 35 YO husband
Wife, age 35
Daughter, age 15
Son, age 9

Day 5 - Thurs, Aug 24 – Epcot

After running steadily for 4 straight days and because my wife and daughter were feeling under the weather (sinus and allergies), we decided to take it slow today and save some energy for tomorrow, our last day. So we woke up a little bit later, but got over to Epcot early enough to head to Soarin’ to get FPs. While in the Land Pavilion, we watched the Circle of Life to get our “green” fix for the day.

Our FPs were for the late afternoon, so we headed next door to the Imagination Pavilion. Journey into Imagination was a walk-on. This is an OK attraction that I think could use some “plusing”. I have faint recollection of the old attraction and remember it being the better version. The Figment character is cool and the labs at the end have some interesting activities but overall I can understand why this attraction has little or no wait times.

As we were leaving through the gift shop to head over to Captain EO, the pin trading seed planted the previous day took bloom as my son spotted the pin display. So we spent some time browsing the pins and he decided he’d like to start collecting. I really didn’t know much about it but we had the general idea. So we purchased a cool Pirates-themed lanyard with skulls and a couple pins to start – a R2MK and a Goofy pin. Later in the day, we picked up a Star Wars Mystery Pin set and my son got the Darth Maul (Donald) and Yoda (Stitch). He was pretty excited because he is big fans of both Darth Maul and anything Stitch.

With a new set of pins, we headed over to see the Captain EO movie. We had never seen it before. I felt like a 10 year old again watching Michael Jackson save the galaxy with some slick dance moves. ;) Lunch was up next so we headed back to our new favorite, Sunshine Seasons. I tried the Turkey Sandwich this time (thumbs up), my wife had the Rueben (OK she said) and my son went with his old standby, the Caesar Salad.

After lunch, we wanted to ride Test Track again but it was down. So we decided to head back and catch the American Adventure. We caught the Voices of Liberty in the rotunda, first time for that and it was quite enjoyable. I hadn’t seen the American Adventure in awhile and I am sucker for anything Americana and patriotic. We enjoyed the show, even tearing up a bit. After the American Adventure, we took a stroll around World Showcase exploring the different countries and taking pictures. My son took the opportunity to trade pins, keeping only the Darth Maul and Yoda and probably rotating through about a 5-6 new ones. He just kept seeing different ones he liked.

We made our way back to the Land Pavilion to use our FPs for Soarin’. I was worried about the effects of the “movie” on me (I couldn’t watch the large screen in Ellen’s without feeling sick) and had to pass on riding. It was OK with me not going on, and I was glad my family got to experience the attraction. They enjoyed it. My wife said I probably would have been OK, but I just wasn’t up for chancing it.

After Soarin’, we made another failed attempt at riding Test Track, it was still out of commission. So we headed over to the Fountainview to grab some ice cream and watch the Fountain do its thing. The ice cream was great and it was nice to sit and relax and just take things in. It seems like you are on the run so much at WDW that you miss out if you don’t stop and just look sometimes.

We decided to call it a day, and rode Spaceship Earth one last time before bidding Epcot goodbye for the trip. We headed back to the hotel at around 6PM. We strolled the grounds of All Star Sports and took some good pictures of the cool theming at the resort. After our stroll, we headed to the Food Court for some dinner. Burgers and the ever present Caesar Salad were the fare this evening. And again, the eats were pretty good. I was impressed with the food court, in terms of both selection and quality of food. It wasn’t 5-star meals, but I was expecting bland burgers and chicken dishes.

With dinner done, my son and I decided to take a quick rest in the room then head down to the pool for a little bit. A little turned into a couple hours and he met some boys his age and they spent the time throwing a football around. He had a great time with his new friends from NY and MA. I sat and relaxed while chatting with the parents of the boys. The family from NY had driven down too, so chatted about the impending doom of the long drive home. We talked baseball and football too, even though we rooted for rival teams. It was nice way to end a slow-paced but great day. We went to sleep, rested and ready for the last day of our trip with plans to spend all day at Magic Kingdom.

Suz36
09-14-2010, 11:37 PM
Another great day! I'm still waiting for that time when we feel we've done everything enough that we can "stop and smell the roses" - it sounds so relaxing and enjoyable, but we just don't seem to ever be able to do it! I'll have to make sure to pencil it in to our daily plan!:blush:

faline
09-15-2010, 12:28 PM
So we headed over to the Fountainview to grab some ice cream and watch the Fountain do its thing. The ice cream was great and it was nice to sit and relax and just take things in. It seems like you are on the run so much at WDW that you miss out if you don’t stop and just look sometimes.

I agree!

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-15-2010, 02:07 PM
Sounds like a great day:)

yjgirl32
09-15-2010, 03:29 PM
I too am looking forward to seeing the Captain EO so I can feel like I am 13 again. Thanks for sharing.

Joannelet
09-15-2010, 07:34 PM
Great report!
I too get sick at the end of Ellen's Energy Adventure looking at the big screen. I was out of commission for quite sometime after going on that a couple of years ago. :( I was literally green......
I do go on Soarin and enjoy it tremendously.
I just make sure that I am in the back row or a row that is in back of another row so that I can focus on the people's feet above me while watching the screen.
This helps me A LOT!!!

RedSoxFan
09-15-2010, 08:57 PM
A nice day. Bummer about not being able to ride on Test Track.