PDA

View Full Version : Brown Derby

Suz36
09-14-2010, 12:26 AM
Have you ever gone to the Brown Derby and just ordered dessert? I've heard so many good things about the Grapefruit Cake and really want to try it, but am not really interested in having a full meal there. If you've done this, how was it received by your server?

Reedy Creek Buccaneer
09-14-2010, 02:50 AM
You can get the grapefruit cake at the Starring Roles Cafe next to the Brown Derby as well.

SBETigg
09-14-2010, 07:54 AM
Yes, pick it up at Starring Rolls, a better bet. But you probably could pop in to Brown Derby for just dessert, maybe at the tail end of lunch hour or early in the evening right at the start of dinner service.

The grapefruit cake was oddly not what I expected for something called grapefruit cake. It really did taste like grapefruit, and I was somehow expecting it to taste more like cake with a light essence of grapefruit. It's very potent with the flavor of fresh grapefruit. I'm glad I tried it. I believe they also have Brown Derby Cobb Salad at Starring Rolls, which is the original and unlike most versions of cobb salads you find out and about.

Jared
09-14-2010, 09:09 AM
Like others mentioned, Starring Rolls Cafe serves the Brown Derby grapefruit cake, but I see no reason why you can't pop into the restaurant just for dessert. Check the podium outside of traditional meal hours and see if you can secure a table. Nobody will protest you skipping entrees and starting with dessert.

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-14-2010, 09:37 AM
Yes, Starring rolls can get you the cake and they have other wonderful pastries and yummy sandwiches too:number1:

Suz36
09-14-2010, 10:13 PM
Thanks everyone! I'd never been in Starring Rolls, so I had no idea the cake was available there. That sounds like a much easier (and less expensive!) option! Looks like I'll be checking off another item on my Disney to-do list!

PalmettoKev
09-19-2010, 01:55 PM
Have you ever gone to the Brown Derby and just ordered dessert? I've heard so many good things about the Grapefruit Cake and really want to try it, but am not really interested in having a full meal there. If you've done this, how was it received by your server?

Can't say we have, but I'm sure you could. We just can't pass up the Cobb Salads!

Carolanne
09-19-2010, 04:48 PM
I am so glad I popped into this post! I just assumed that you could only get the Grapefruit Cake at The Brown Derby. Good to know I can go to Starring Rolls & get it. I've been wanting to try this for years (I have a slight dessert obsession), and it looks like I'll finally get to try it in Nov :mickey:.

Niecyboo
09-19-2010, 05:36 PM
Starring Rolls is a family favorite. They have amazing sandwiches as well as desserts. I am not a grapefruite fan, but I love their Neopolitan, and my kids like the cupcakes.

luvdiznee
09-19-2010, 05:41 PM
Wev'e done this where we ordered the Grapefruit Cake to go, from Brown Derby. Only because Starring Rolls was closed. They had no issue with it. :cool:

spoonfulosugar
09-19-2010, 09:39 PM
Hummm....why can't I picture Starring Rolls? To the left or right of BD? So you CAN get a cobb there too?

Jared
09-19-2010, 11:40 PM
Hummm....why can't I picture Starring Rolls? To the left or right of BD? So you CAN get a cobb there too?
To reach Starring Rolls, walk down Hollywood Boulevard toward the giant hat and veer to the right, toward Sunset Boulevard. The bakery stands where the two roads intersect -- not particularly close to the Brown Derby restaurant.

Maleficent's Dad
09-20-2010, 07:32 PM
Starring Rolls is actually attached to the physical structure of the Brown Derby, but it appears to be "just around the corner." If you're looking AT the entrance to the Brown Derby, Starring Rolls is on the right hand side - just around the outdoor dining patio.

Scar
09-21-2010, 11:22 AM
You can definetly just order desert, assuming a table is available if you are walking up. I once wanted an Akvavit (Scandinavian drink,) but the only place in Norway I could get it was Restaurnat Akershus. I was seated, ordered, served, downed the shot, paid, and got up and left. And yes, the waiter and guests around me did seem a little puzzled. ;)

Suz36
10-13-2010, 12:20 AM
Just wanted to thank everyone for the great info! We were able to get the grapefruit cake, and enjoyed it! I felt like a Hollywood starlet with my special order - we didn't see it in the display cases, so I asked a CM, who directed me to another CM. After pausing to think about it a minute, he said he would "go in the back" and get it for us, and sure enough, there he comes a few minutes later! I felt like an insider, for sure!

SignguyTom
10-18-2010, 11:05 AM
I just looked at the Starring Rolls menu on another site and the grapefruit cake is not on it. Is it simply 'by request' or have they possibly removed it from the menu? Or, I suppose, it could be an error as well. The menu date was June, 2010...