PDA

View Full Version : Less-known dining 'experiences'

Awesome_guy
09-12-2010, 12:11 PM
:wine: :eat:

Often on this thread, I've seen mention of very careful planning in order to use Advanced Dining Reservations for truly memorable experiences... now that I'm planning a trip March 25rd to April 3rd, I'm hoping you can send some of your great ideas.

We're two twenty-somethings and not terribly interested in Character Dining. We are looking for unique dining experiences in the park, though.
I know there are Fantasmic packages at DS, are there other ways to use ADRs/packages to help get shows in? I assume those need advanced planning for sure.
Are there ways to align reservations with evening parades/fireworks/the Water Pageant? How do you do that? Can you request a table?
Are we already too late (we're past the 180 day mark)? I don't think there's free dining during our stay (am I right?) so does that make ADRs a bit less of a concern?
Whether it's restaurants with incredible theming or something 'extra', what advice do you have for timing? places? requests?

Beyond great food..... what advice do you have to plan ahead in order to have a great dining experience?!

Thanks in advance, fellow Intercotees!

Awesome_guy
09-12-2010, 12:38 PM
I'm researching that the Rose & Crown patio, for example, has patio seats prime for Illuminations... try to get a reservation for 7:30? ...is this one of the most ideal ones?
The only 'attractions' with restaurants inside are Mexico pavilion at Epcot, San Angel Inn and the Living Seas restaurant (Coral Reef), yes? Are they worthwhile for the 'experience'... or are others more worthwhile?

SBETigg
09-12-2010, 12:41 PM
Travis, dining in the park can be good, especially at Epcot (World Showcase), but I find that my favorite restaurants tend to be at the resorts.

In parks, I like:
MK- Nothing, prefer counter service or head to nearby resort dining.
DHS- Hollywood Brown Derby or Sci Fi Dine In for lunch (fun even for adults).
AK- Yak and Yeti
Epcot- San Angel Inn (also try the new Cava del Tequila for snacks and drinks), Tokyo Dining, Chefs de France, Bistro de Paris (truly outstanding, but pricy), Rose & Crown, Le Cellier.

For dining with shows, besides the Fantasmic packages, there is no real package with dinner.
There is an occasional dessert buffet with fireworks viewing at the MK that you can buy tickets in advance for, when they offer it.

You can catch MK fireworks with good timing from: California Grill, Narcoossee's, Citricos, 'Ohana. Your best bet here is California Grill. Try making a reservation at about 40 minutes prior to fireworks. But some (California Grill, Narcoossee's) have viewing areas if you don't get a table with a view.

You can catch Illuminations from Rose and Crown (it's a matter of luck, if you happen to be seated at the tables with a view at the right time), Tokyo Dining (with window seating, impaired view), Bistro de Paris (depending on seating) and new to the WS, Mexico's Hacienda.
Rose and Crown has a viewing area if you don't get a table with a view.

Tables with views can't be reserved in advance. You're seated on a first come basis, at available tables which might or might not have the view.

Check the Disney Dining Reservations site for available times. Lots might still have openings.

My favorite restaurants with something special, for adults:

Signature Dining. Almost all Signature restaurants offer a more calm atmosphere with emphasis on great service, good food.

Kouzzina Fun for celebrations, Opa! and really good food on the Boardwalk.

Animal Kingdom Lodge dining. All of the restaurants are unique with great theming. Boma has a great buffet with new foods to try. Sanaa has really good food and a view of the animals. Jiko is top notch.

World Showcase dining. Fun to browse, shop, snack, drink, even counter service. A new experience in every country.

SBETigg
09-12-2010, 12:48 PM
I'm researching that the Rose & Crown patio, for example, has patio seats prime for Illuminations... try to get a reservation for 7:30? ...is this one of the most ideal ones?
The only 'attractions' with restaurants inside are Mexico pavilion at Epcot, San Angel Inn and the Living Seas restaurant (Coral Reef), yes? Are they worthwhile for the 'experience'... or are others more worthwhile?

7:30 is a good time to try for Rose & Crown, yes, but remember that patio seating can't be requested and is luck of the draw. If that's what's available when you're being seated, that's what you'll get. They have so much demand for those tables that you can't wait for one to open up or expect to get one by request in advance. They do have a viewing area they will take you to in the event you don't have seating with a view.

All of the World Showcase pavilions have restaurants. San Angel Inn is in the Mexico pavilion, though not really "in" the ride. The boat ride does begin with a ride by the dining area, in front of the atmospheric pyramid. So yes, the seating can be part of the attraction. Coral Reef is in the Living Seas pavilion, and you do have a view of the aquarium tanks, which is pretty special and lovely. Also, Garden Grill rotates above the Living with the Land ride (but that does have characters at certain meals).

San Angel Inn, Rose & Crown, and Coral Reef all get mixed reviews. An outstanding favorite of many diners in World Showcase (and all of WDW) is Le Cellier in Canada.

Awesome_guy
09-12-2010, 01:02 PM
Sherri, wow, great insight!! =) The planning scheming begins! Many, many thanks :)

Strmchsr
09-12-2010, 02:19 PM
If you're looking for a really unique "adult" dining experience, other than what Sheri suggested, I would add in the Dining With An Imagineer. It's the best dining experience I've had at Disney. A little expensive, but well worth it.

Pirate Granny
09-12-2010, 05:10 PM
HEY...you are not past your 180 ADR date...we are arriving on March 24 and our date isn't until later this month...

Not covered on the dining plan, but unique is the fireworks buffet at the MK if they extend it out that far...

I just ate at the rose and crown, our reservation was for 8:05 and we were inside (kind of glad as it was very hot), but in previous visits we have been unlucky enough to eat "ash" with our meal...as the wind was blowing in our direction all three other times when we were seated outside...we'll try again as I have adr's for next Friday nite.

Jared
09-12-2010, 05:24 PM
This isn't a particularly adult experience, but doesn't Tusker House offer a lunch package that includes seating for the Nemo show? It's one of my favorite attractions in the park, and I recommend it to anybody, regardless of their age.

I echo virtually everything Sherri wrote, but I warn you I have never had a particularly wonderful table service meal in World Showcase. In my experiences, the restaurants are serviceable but not memorable. That includes dinners at Tokyo Dining, Teppan Edo, Marrakesh and Chefs de France, among others.

For the best adult dining, I strongly recommend venturing away from the parks and into the resorts. As Sherri mentioned, Jiko at the Animal Kingdom Lodge is truly spectacular and worth the extra trip. My girlfriend and I recently celebrated our graduation there.

All the places in the Magic Kingdom area with fireworks viewing are lovely. California Grill might be the best restaurant on property, outside of Victoria & Albert's, perhaps.

But since you asked for theme park restaurants, I will give you a quick list of places I enjoy:

Magic Kingdom: None, really. Head to one of the monorail resorts.
Epcot: Despite the inconsistent reviews, I love Coral Reef and find the atmosphere charming for a young couple. I always choose it over the World Showcase places. I know I'm in the minority there.
Studios: The Hollywood Brown Derby is considered a signature restaurant and is certainly the most adult place in the park. Sci-Fi and 50's Prime Times are both quite fun, even for grown-ups.
Animal Kingdom: Yak & Yeti. Perhaps my favorite theme park table service option.

Hope this helps! Good luck, and have fun!

SJSJ4
09-12-2010, 05:54 PM
We are a family group of 15 that go each year. Ages from 9 mos to 64.

MK - Crystal Palace (LD) is good but it is a character. We all LOVED Liberty Tree at night for the family style meal.

MGM - We usually go to Hollywood and Vine, but thi year are trying Momma Melroses.

AK - Tusker House is a MUST for all of us, at least once per trip. It is fabulous. We try to plan two meals there per trip.

Epcot - Tutto Italia is another "must do" . Almost everyone loves the Berigarten also

Resort Dining -
Olivia's (OKW) is the greatest! (Dinner)
BOMA (AKL) is also excellent (Dinner)

We added 1900 Park Fare this year for a extended family dining and also Boatwrights. We are hoping they are good as well.

Good luck with your dining and have a great trip.

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-12-2010, 06:24 PM
I agree the best table services with the exception of Epcot, seem to be at the resorts not in the parks...

MK-We enjoy Crystal Palace but it is a character buffet, for two adults I would recommend a monorail resort restaurant...like Kona at the Poly, Grand Floridian Cafe at Grand Floridian or California Grill at Contemporary, keep in mind California Grill is a signature restaurant and takes two dining plan credits

Animal Kingdom-Haven't tried Yak and Yeti but have heard good things

DHS-Table service here is kind of blah...however if you want the Fantasmic Package your choice is Hollywood and vine buffet, Mama Melrose or Brown Derby.

Epcot-Its hard to go wrong with any Epcot restaurant...we love Lecellier in Canada but have always wanted to try Rose and crown...

Fastpasssteve
09-12-2010, 11:00 PM
OK, there are a few options for those who are over 21...but remember, you are in WDW. One should be prepared, more or less, to do as the Romans do. Give in to your inner child. A carefree mind is the beginning of a great holiday.

With that in mind, let me recommend these options:

The Biergarten in Germany. It is a buffet; people can get what they like. They can also get giant mugs of bier like they sell in Munich during Oktoberfest. And...drink.

If your love of libation extends to Olympian proportions, consider 'Drinking Around the World'. If you don't know what this is, go to your nearest search engine and read on. I've done this with friends before. We're still laughing and telling stories from years past.

Jellyrolls is a dueling piano bar where a moderately drunk crowd sends up requests to the stage and sing along at full volume. It is great fun. Everyone is there on vacation lovin' life and the bartender.

'Ohana is a great restaurant to have dinner. It is where they bring you a LOT OF MEAT and other things for a prix fixe. It is good food with good times. They will also bring you a powerful drink served in a hollowed-out pineapple, for God's sake! Just think about the pictures posted to FB! "Why are they all wearing leis?"

Raglan Road is an honest to goodness Irish Bar. I mean that literally...they brought the bar itself from Ireland...really. They have live, traditional Irish music and a hot little step dancer that appears every hour or so to make the guys in the bar drool a little. She is...talented. The bar itself is beautiful. Go online and see pictures. This bar is located in Downtown Disney (free admission). Remember, if you're staying in a Disney Resort, the busing system will take your drunk a$$ home safe and sound.

Some character dining may be a lot of fun. My adult friends and I go to several character events each trip. We find, the goofier the event, the more we like it. We go to 1900 Park Fare for breakfast at least once each time. This breakfast buffet features Mary Poppins, Alice, the Mad Hatter, Tigger, and Pooh! We interact, goof around, take pictures, laugh, play along...in short, the douche quotient is very high. Plus, the food is bangin'. Anyplace I can meet Mary Poppins and have bacon is aces with me. Another Mickey waffle? With soft-serve ice cream and fresh strawberries on it? Don't mind if I do.

Go to Afternoon Tea at the Grand Floridian Resort (It's on the Magic Kingdom Monorail Line). Tea, finger sandwiches, sweets, pastries, a mimosa...a chance to sit around in comfort with British ladies seeing to your every need. How proper! We all wore monacles one time. I have the pictures to prove it.

Downtown Disney is a great place for nightlife. Google it and see all the options.

Remember, even though you are young, it pays to take a disco nap if you're going to be staying out 'til all hours of the night, then hitting the parks hard for a week. And hydrate before going to bed.

Good luck. If you live, you will have great stories to tell.

Awesome_girl
09-12-2010, 11:36 PM
Fastpasssteve - thanks for ALL that information! Travis and I will be embarking on a Drink Around the World tour for sure.

I don't know how we're going to focus on life for the next six months!

lighteningqueen
09-13-2010, 12:26 AM
Teppon Edo is a wonderful place to eat steak chicken and shrimp... PLUS youa re entertained while you are waiting and watching them cook your food at the table. They joke and make things with the food while they are stir frying. it was the best meal we ate last year and most entertaining. Tutto Italia was really good and yak and yeti in AK. These were all new for us last year and we are glad that we did them, much better than Ohanas,Boma was just not so good we have tried that 3 times and are done with that food. You will have a great time. Tusker for breakfast is wonderful food. The characters don't have to stop by your table if you tell your server. best tasting breakfast food plus the juice is to die for.

SBETigg
09-13-2010, 07:12 AM
Adding to Fastpasssteve (I want to see the monocle pictures).

'Ohana is good, but stop at the Tambu Lounge for a lapu lapu (at three, before the dinner crowd) and you're free to have dinner somewhere else, like one of the more adult restaurants with excellent food at the Grand Floridian. Just waiting for your 'Ohana reservation in the crowded, kid-filled Great Ceremonial House can set your teeth on edge. Though if you're up for it, it is a fun time. If you go for dinner, take one of the late slots and save yourself some wait-time aggravation.

The Biergarten is very kid friendly. Very. There's a band and every kid in the place gets up to dance. Plus the food is meh, very sausage centric. If you love that sort of thing, maybe more than meh. But still, kids everywhere. It would be my last choice along with the character meals for a good adult time at WDW.

But Raglan Road is very good, a lively atmosphere, not many kids (still some, it is WDW) and great food.

Awesome_guy
09-14-2010, 11:22 PM
Many... many... many thanks! =) These suggestions are literally perfect. We are in very good hands--and will toast you all when it all comes together!

stitch34
09-16-2010, 11:18 AM
Here's a few of our favorite dining experiences without characters:

Teppan Edo: Food was great and is entertaining as everything is grilled at your table.

Big River Grille & Brewery (Boardwalk): We actually tried here for dinner on our first night last year because we didn't have any plans & we were spending time at the Boardwalk. It was such a great surprise. Everyone in our party tried something different and loved it. I will say that I don't see some of the things we tried on the menu listed in the Menus Section, so I wouldn't judge by that. Also if you're a beer drinker, it's a brewery with lots of selections including samplers of 5 different kinds that I saw many people getting.

Hoop Dee Doo Revue: Love going here for the show! It makes for a great evening!

Tuttuo Italia: We just enjoy the food here.

Le Cellier: Haven't been here in a few years, but it's absolutely a great place to go if you're looking for a great steak.

Maryln8
09-16-2010, 02:23 PM
The Grand Floridian Cafe:secret:

Awesome_guy
10-28-2010, 12:06 AM
Booked!... 148 sleeps away.

Does that mean I have likely missed out on some ADR opportunities already?

Should we be phoning asap and dedicating certain days to certain parks for at least a few of these types of dining experiences?

-T

SBETigg
10-28-2010, 11:03 AM
Booked!... 148 sleeps away.

Does that mean I have likely missed out on some ADR opportunities already?

Should we be phoning asap and dedicating certain days to certain parks for at least a few of these types of dining experiences?

-T

Congratulations! Some dining experiences might be booked (Le Cellier, 'Ohana) but you might find yourself pleasantly surprised. As soon as you know where you want to eat, I would head out to the Disney Dining site and see what times are available.

And yes, it sometimes pays to build your schedule around dining experiences, but not always. I tend to check park schedules and plan out a general idea of where I want to be on what days, then plan the dining, and then it could go either way on if the dining affects the choice of park or if the choice of park affects the dining choice.

diz_girl
10-28-2010, 03:43 PM
Personally, I like Marrakesh at Morocco in EPCOT. The food is good and there is a band and bellydancer for entertainment. It was pretty unique for me and I'll definitely go back.

Although I haven't dined there, Sanaa at AKV is unique, as you can watch the animals on the savannah while you dine.

A favorite of mine is Narcoossee's. Great food and atmosphere. I enjoy watching the fireworks from my table, but you can also go out onto the patio to view them if you don't get a table near a window.

I've seen Teppan Edo recommended. While it's fun and the food is good, I've got about five restaurants within five minutes of my house that do the same thing. I've eaten there before and probably will again, but it's not necessarily a unique dining experience.

darthmacho
10-28-2010, 05:43 PM
I haven't gotten a chance to read the replies, so forgive me if my advice clashes with other opinions, or your own plans, but here are some suggestions for dining with a little romantic atmosphere.

1. Mexico's San Angel Inn: When you check in for your ADR ask for a seat by the river, and tell them you are willing to wait if necessary. I think it is worth it!

2. Wilderness Lodge's Artist Point or Coronado Springs' Maya Grill. Make an ADR for 1/2 hour before sunset, request a window seat, and the rest will work itself out. :moon: