PDA

View Full Version : Moderate? POR? POFQ?

Awesome_guy
09-12-2010, 11:40 AM
Intercot folks... it's been awhile!!

I need your accommodation advice/commentary/concerns.... and could think of no better place.

My roommate and I are planning a Spring Break WDW getaway. We're both professional twenty-somethings... and are leaning towards a moderate (probably fits our price-range best). I've only stayed on property once awhile back and did a value (All Star Movies).

I've scanned all related threads, but specific to our situation:

The ferry to/from DTD from POFQ and POR seems like a pretty great perk, for getting to-and-from meals and shopping. Is it a pretty great perk?! How long is the trek (I can only find how often the boats come)?
Which side (POR vs. POFQ) would you recommend for us? Or would you recommend another moderate altogether? The consensus seems to be that POR is much larger has a bit more life to it (and maybe feels newer) and that POFQ has a smaller and more intimate feel to it (some seem to think that POFQ has a bit of a bussing advantage to it to at times; reviews to theming seem quite mixed). Thoughts there?
Am I correct in thinking that the values would be fine, but tend to have more groups, especially maybe at Springtime? What are the 'real' benefits to the moderate?: a pool with a slide, sit-down restaurants, some added conveniences? Thoughts here?

Essentially I'm looking to your experience, to help make our trip as great as possible. I've researched tons but testimonials beat pictures/videos any day. We'll be park-hopping, wining/dining, and out-and-about tons (vs. in our rooms tons).

Many thanks,

cather74
09-12-2010, 01:40 PM
My sister and I have stayed at a value (ASM) and a moderate (POFQ) We weren't in the rooms much either. If you plan on spending more time at DDD then I would say do POFQ. It was compact and we never really had to wait for the buses. I think for us there was no real difference between the value and the moderate because we really just needed a room. I think if you go with a family then there would be more things to thinks about. Like I said, when choosing it really come down to DDD and how much time you plan on spending there. I don't think you can walk there just take the 15 minute boat ride. Of course if money was no object....it would be the Poly everytime!:thumbsup:

AllDisney
09-12-2010, 03:27 PM
We have found that we really never seem to take advantage of what the resorts have to offer. We are the type of people that open & close the parks. We just want something clean & on property & the values work great for us:thumbsup:

Someday we plan on staying at the deluxe resorts and spend more time hanging around the pool etc.

HoosierDisneyFan
09-12-2010, 05:24 PM
We prefer POFQ because of the small resort size which is great for a short walk from the bus after a long day at the parks. Also the buses generally picked up from POFQ first (you can get a seat!) and dropped off first (back to the room quicker) when the bus is shared with POR.

POR may be you best choice IF you are looking for resort perks like a larger pool, larger gift shot, larger arcade, etc.

The resort are a shoprt 10 min walk between the two and you can share the services of both.

Both are a great choice...

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-12-2010, 06:11 PM
I have been asking a lot of questions about these two recently and found that if you are looking for a more compact resort POFQ is best, however we decided to go with POR>

What sold my family and me on POR is the Youtube videos...the grounds are absolutely gorgeous....also I read that the boat ride to DTD takes about 20 minutes....

on another note, if money is a concern I would go with a value...you will have plenty of room for two people and you get all the perks in any Disney owned property like transportation, extra hours etc.....if you are just using your room to shower and sleep and spending more time elsewhere why pay for the moderate? We loved All Star Movies and Pop is pretty nice as well....

The Hitchhiking Ghost
09-13-2010, 02:23 PM
I think you basically get "moderate" upgrades when you go from value to moderate. One of the things I prefer is that at moderates you get the option of a sit down restaraunt vs. just the food courts, and I believe you can have some sort of bar/night club at the moderates which I don't think the values have. Nice if you like to have a relaxing drink before you turn in.

If you are dining at other resorts or DTD or the Boardwalk, there are no buses that run from resort to resort. You need to go to a park and trsfr to the resort or go to DTD and transfer there. You can always take a bus from POR or FQ to DTD but the boat gives you a 2nd option. It is about a 20 minute relaxing ride. We do it at least once every time.

My preference is POR - Aligator Bayou. I really like the theming of the grounds/buildings. It is so relaxing to just walk around and enjoy it. I didn't get quite that feeling at the FQ. Plus, POR has a bigger food court, a sit down restaraunt (Boatwrights) and a few more general amenities. But it probably has more people.

Can't go wrong with either.

Tinkerbella16
09-13-2010, 02:44 PM
I have stayed at all the moderates and POFQ is by far my favorite resort I've stayed at on property yet. I loved POR when I stayed there and then the year after I decided to try POFQ and I just fell in love. The difference in size is huge...depending on where your room is located at POR, you may have a hike to walk to the main building, bus stops, etc. At FQ, no matter what building your room is in, you are so close to everything. We were in a corner room in Building 1 and we were facing the parking lot but we still loved it because the hotel is so small in size, we didnt care about a view. We aren't in the room much either, just to sleep but I think that the price is def right for the moderates. The boat to DTD was my favorite perk... I love going to DTD during the evenings so it was really nice to take the boat over...its only about a 15-20 minute ride and the views are great so it definately doesn't feel that long. POFQ was very quiet when we stayed there. It was like no one was there all week! The foodcourt in the morning was always empty so we were always able to stroll in and eat and relax before catching the bus to the parks. I stay at the values too and the worse part is the foodcourt in the morning..they get so packed!! You will love POFQ! :mickey:

Martino
09-15-2010, 11:21 AM
Hi, Travis

I have stayed at POFQ on 2 occasions each for 14 days, and we had a fantastic time there.:thumbsup:

Yes, the disney buses call at the French Quarter first, which means you can always usually get a seat, and same at drop off, back to FQ first. The resort is smaller than the other moderates, but that worked great for us, it's just a few minutes to the Front Desk, shop, restaurant (Counter Service only) and Bus Stops from any of the rooms really. There is table service at Riverside, and it is only a 10 minute walk or ferry trip. The ferry trip to DD probably takes if I remember correctly about 20 minutes, but makes for a pleasant change to bus transport especially if nice weather, you also get to see the renovated treehouse Villa's which is part of the Saratoga Springs Resort. The trip back to FQ in the dark was cool too! The pool area and Hot tub were great and we spent a bit of time there. Another advantage of the moderate vs. value is that they seem much quieter with a more relaxed atmosphere. There does appear to be more families with children at the values and this can make for a more hectic surrounding. On both my trips there seem to be more teens, young adults families or couples at moderates, in my opinion.

We spend most of the time park-hopping and not a great deal of time at the resort, but I still think the benefits are far greater at the moderate. Like I mentioned the buses are excellent. If the bus is already full leaving FQ, it would go straight to the park, and another bus would be called to go to the Riverside. I think we were probably at the parks quicker than guests at Riverside. There are several bus stops at Riverside as the park is a lot bigger, but very often the buses were full and guests had to wait for the next one, we never once had this problem.

I think I've got my point over - POFQ all the way!!!:D And don't forget to try the beignets (ben-yays) at the food court!

sainter
09-15-2010, 05:38 PM
I think you see some conflicting info about the buses with POR and POFQ because they sometimes pickup at both resorts and sometimes don't. Many times pick up/drop off at FQ first, but not always. I have stayed at POR at several different times of the year. It depends on the time of year AND the time of day. I wouldn't make that your deciding factor.

Don't know if this matters to you, but Riverside has quiet pools as well as a main pool. You can often have one to yourself depending on when you are going!

grumpyguy
09-16-2010, 08:45 AM
We chose POR for our upcoming trip starting tomorrow!We really like coronado springs but are on a quest to stay at each resort at least once before kicking the bucket.
We based the POR choice on a couple of it's amenities like a boatride to DTD and the southern feel of the mansions section this resort offers.
After staying at all values so far and moving up to the moderates we have vowed that for the difference in price,we'll stay away from the values from now on.
Can't wait to stay (and afford) the deluxes!!
Good luck.

crltkcagle
09-16-2010, 10:46 AM
We stay at POR every year because we are a family of five. We love it and have never had a bad experience. I can't tell you about POFQ but it does appear to be a beautiful resort!

Kaps
09-16-2010, 10:47 AM
I prefer POR it has nice grounds The pool IMO is better. The Boatride is nice takes about 20 to 25 min. Runs every 15 at night to and from.

LVT
10-09-2010, 02:53 PM
Hi Our Family of 4 (adult children) do Spring Break as 2nd week Mar.
1 POR
3 POP
POP won
We get up early, take a nap and stay out at the parks. Very little Downtown or bar/lounges.

SAnderson70769
10-13-2010, 12:44 PM
For two adults - i'd go POFQ all the way! It's quiet, small, and great extras with the boat to DD and just an overall great resort!

Gator
10-13-2010, 03:17 PM
If theming of the resort is not an issue, than go with a Value. They're more geared for kids, but if a bed is all you need, save your money for food and souveniers. However, if theming is important, plus some extra square footage and slightly better bus service, go with the Moderates.