PDA

View Full Version : Disappearing wallpaper

Maleficent_vf
09-11-2010, 12:37 PM
My desktop wallpaper has disappeared. I uninstalled Norton Systemworks yesterday and when the PC rebooted to complete the uninstall process, my wallpaper was gone. I checked the settings and the PC thinks it has an image set as wallpaper and it does display briefly on shutdown. Active desktop is not on. Everything else appears to be functioning normally. I'm running Windows XP Pro with service pack 3 and MSE. Anyone have any suggestions? :confused:

I already miss my pic of Cinderella Castle. :(

Thanks!

DizneyRox
09-11-2010, 12:46 PM
My desktop wallpaper has disappeared. I uninstalled Norton Systemworks yesterday and when the PC rebooted to complete the uninstall process, my wallpaper was gone. I checked the settings and the PC thinks it has an image set as wallpaper and it does display briefly on shutdown. Active desktop is not on. Everything else appears to be functioning normally. I'm running Windows XP Pro with service pack 3 and MSE. Anyone have any suggestions? :confused:

I already miss my pic of Cinderella Castle. :(

Thanks!
PIrated copy of Windows? I think WGA (Windows Genuine Advantage) blanks out your background when it detects a non genuine version of Windows.

Could be all sorts of things though, maybe malware, etc. WGA is the first thing that came to mind however...

VWL Mom
09-11-2010, 02:01 PM
Have you tried switching to another picture and seeing if that displays? Was the castle picture one you took or downloaded from the web? If the later it could be some web objects were removed with the uninstall.

Maleficent_vf
09-11-2010, 02:22 PM
I have an authorized copy of Windows and it's my own picture.

Thanks...I'll keep looking for possibilities.

tinklover
09-11-2010, 02:48 PM
have you tried to just add the same pic as the background pic again?

Maleficent_vf
09-11-2010, 05:35 PM
:magic: The Castle is back! The Castle is back! I guess that process of setting it to no wallpaper and then going back in and setting it to a picture did the trick...and it only took about 5 hours of fussing - don't you just love computers!

:thanks: for all of your suggestions.