PDA

View Full Version : Kodak Cuts Ties With Epcot Pavilion

Ian
09-10-2010, 12:19 PM
From the Sentinel Disney blog:

Eastman Kodak Co., a corporate sponsor in Walt Disney Co. theme parks since the opening of Disneyland in 1955, has pulled out of a prominent Epcot attraction.

Representatives for Rochester, N.Y.-based Kodak and Walt Disney World confirmed this week that the venerable photo-and-film company ended its sponsorship of Epcot’s Imagination! pavilion, home to the ride “Journey Into Imagination with Figment” and a play area dubbed “ImageWorks.”
Neither company would discuss the reasons behind the move. Kodak has also ended its sponsorship of a theater in the Tomorrowland section of Disneyland in Anaheim, Calif.

“Our alliance partnerships are ever-changing, and this adjustment reflects the dynamic nature of the sponsorship business,” Disney World spokesman Zoraya Suarez said.

Disney said the move will not lead to noticeable changes around Imagination! beyond the removal of Kodak signs. The resort made cosmetic changes to a theater in the pavilion earlier this summer when it revived the “Captain EO” 3D movie featuring the deceased pop singer Michael Jackson.

Disney said that about a dozen employees who worked at the pavilion through a Kodak contractor were given opportunities to apply for other jobs at Disney World.

Even without the Epcot attraction, Kodak will maintain a substantial sponsorship presence throughout Disney’s theme parks. The company continues to sponsor the 3D movie “Mickey’s PhilharMagic” in the Magic Kingdom and approximately 50 “Kodak Picture Spots” scattered throughout Disney World and Disneyland.

Disney will also continue selling Kodak products in its parks.

“We continue to have a positive, productive relationship with Disney, and we are discussing possible future collaborations,” Kodak spokesman David Lanzillo said.

Disney4us2
09-10-2010, 12:48 PM
I hope it doesn't mean an early end to the run of Capt. EO. We will see tomorrow at Disneyland. DD is hoping to see it at WDW in Dec. Hope it is still there.

DizneyRox
09-10-2010, 02:34 PM
Usually you take the good with the bad, but seems that Kodak doesn't have to.

Seems pretty one sided, they stay in with Philharmagic (new and popular) and the pictures (profits), but dump the aging Imagination pavillion that's is dire need of an update.

Personally, I wouldn't want to be associated with the Un-imagination pavillion either, but who's fault is it that it's as bad as it is? Surely the sponsor should get some of the credit for that as well. Probably a sign of how desperate Disney is currently. In the old days, they probably could have maintained an all or nothing stance and won.

This probably is a pretty big nail in the coffin to HISTA reappearing as well.

Ian
09-10-2010, 03:34 PM
This is definitely a disturbing trend for Epcot. I fear an empty Imagination pavilion soon to go along with the still-empty WoL pavilion that Met Life abandoned.

brownie
09-10-2010, 10:01 PM
This is definitely a disturbing trend for Epcot. I fear an empty Imagination pavilion soon to go along with the still-empty WoL pavilion that Met Life abandoned.

I hope not.

JPL
09-10-2010, 10:38 PM
I am hopeful this leads to the return of Dreamfinder and perhaps a refurb of the attraction I know it sounds like this goes against logic but afterall it was Kodak's decisions that lead to the disaster of an attraction we have today!

seanyred
09-11-2010, 12:45 AM
Another take: maybe this is good. Why couldn't a new company take over the sponsorship and breath life back into the pavilion. Not sure if I'm reading to much into this but I saw on the disney blog a pin with Figment with shovel in hand for a ground breaking in 2011. Maybe there is something to this?

Ian
09-11-2010, 09:38 AM
Another take: maybe this is good. Why couldn't a new company take over the sponsorship and breath life back into the pavilion. Not sure if I'm reading to much into this but I saw on the disney blog a pin with Figment with shovel in hand for a ground breaking in 2011. Maybe there is something to this?This thought crossed my mind, but then I was thinking ... if Disney was able to land sponsors, why would WoL still be closed? Wouldn't they have put something in there by now?

seanyred
09-11-2010, 10:25 AM
This thought crossed my mind, but then I was thinking ... if Disney was able to land sponsors, why would WoL still be closed? Wouldn't they have put something in there by now?

you make a good point. Maybe they needed Kodak to officially stop sponsoring? I guess I'm just being hopeful they can put the Imagination back in the Imagination pavilion. Maybe some Phineas and Ferb inspired imagination.

Zone Stop
09-11-2010, 11:29 AM
Wonders doesn't have a sponsor for two reasons:

1) The dome is actually a very large sieve-the insulation needs to be replaced frequently so it doesn't start turning colors, and just about everything in there would need to be updated to make it worth having as a sponsored space. Think of the New Global Neighborhood->Project Tomorrow update, but for the entire pavillion.

2) It's great event space.

Gator
09-11-2010, 03:40 PM
It shouldn't be hard to find a sponsor for Imagination. There are probably lots of groups lining up to get their brand in line with "Imagination" in the title.

What if Mac sponsored it and turned it into "i-magination"?

Tekneek
09-11-2010, 04:17 PM
This adds one more pavilion to the list of those without sponsorships. We're down to Spaceship Earth, Mission: SPACE, and Test Track for sponsored pavilions in Future World, right?

We knew this was coming anyway. Been hearing about it for weeks.

BrerGnat
09-11-2010, 04:32 PM
Was Kodak the original sponsor?

This pavilion needs some serious help. I hope someone steps up, and it doesn't end up closed.

I liked how it was in the 80's...

BrerGnat
09-11-2010, 04:33 PM
What if Mac sponsored it and turned it into "i-magination"?

First of all, the company is Apple.

Second of all....:ack::ack::ack::ack::ack:

Not that it will ever happen, though. Jobs is buddies with the Universal guys, no?

Tekneek
09-11-2010, 04:54 PM
Not that it will ever happen, though. Jobs is buddies with the Universal guys, no?

Steve Jobs is a member of Disney's Board of Directors, and is also the largest single shareholder (holding about 7% of the shares himself).

Ian
09-11-2010, 07:58 PM
We're down to Spaceship Earth, Mission: SPACE, and Test Track for sponsored pavilions in Future World, right?And of those three, probably only Spaceship Earth is solid. I think we all expect GM to bail on Test Track at some point in the near future.

Steve Jobs is a member of Disney's Board of Directors, and is also the largest single shareholder (holding about 7% of the shares himself).Correct. Happened as a part of the Pixar sale. In fact, I've always been a bit surprised that Apple didn't have any in-park sponsorship. Although, I suspect to some degree that Jobs might be a "pickier" sponsor than WDW management is willing to deal with. He might demand things like quality and innovation.

The horror. ;)

BrerGnat
09-12-2010, 12:51 AM
Correct. Happened as a part of the Pixar sale. In fact, I've always been a bit surprised that Apple didn't have any in-park sponsorship. Although, I suspect to some degree that Jobs might be a "pickier" sponsor than WDW management is willing to deal with. He might demand things like quality and innovation.

The horror. ;)

Oh SNAP!!!

AndrewJackson
09-12-2010, 08:09 AM
This adds one more pavilion to the list of those without sponsorships. We're down to Spaceship Earth, Mission: SPACE, and Test Track for sponsored pavilions in Future World, right?

We knew this was coming anyway. Been hearing about it for weeks.

Doesn't Nestle still sponser The Land?

My guess is that this was some hard-line negotiation on Kodak's part. Since they were able to keep the other sponserships, and continue to sell their product in the parks, my guess is that it was a take it or leave it attitude from Kodak.

WDWfanatic742
09-12-2010, 08:51 AM
You figure that it's only a matter of time (if it hasn't already happened already, been rumored for awhile) before GM pulls out of Test Track. HP and Siemens seem to be the only two solid sponsor's left in the foreseeable future.

Doesn't Nestle still sponser The Land?

According to Wikipedia, (Yeah, I know :rolleyes:) Nestle ended it's sponsorship with the The Land in February 2009.

BrerGnat
09-12-2010, 11:03 AM
According to Wikipedia, (Yeah, I know :rolleyes:) Nestle ended it's sponsorship with the The Land in February 2009.

When is Nestle gonna end the sponsorship with the Coffee? :ack:

Ian
09-12-2010, 11:39 AM
When is Nestle gonna end the sponsorship with the Coffee? :ack:Not soon enough!

I honestly can't believe Disney still serves that garbage. I know for a fact that they receive literally hundreds of complaints every day about how terrible it is, yet they continue to peddle the slop to their guests.

It really frustrates me. It's undrinkable. One of the reasons I'm glad we own DVC ... coffee makers in the room!

DizneyFreak2002
09-12-2010, 01:44 PM
Supposedly there are plans to redo the Imagination pavilion... Just waiting to be greenlit... Rumors online, and yes they are just rumors, say that a trackless system was designed, possibly taking out the store, Image Works, and possibly even the theater... Eo was supposed to be a place holder until the plans were greenlit... Now, with Kodak leaving, and adios to a company no longer relevant in the digital age, who knows that the future holds...

I say bring in Fuji.... Then, we can finally get Mt. Fuji ride in Japan in World Showcase!!!!!

princessgirls
09-12-2010, 04:19 PM
Future is not looking too bright, is it.
Julie:mickey:

pixiesmimi
09-13-2010, 10:59 AM
We were at Epcot in July/Aug and when we walked through the Imagination Pavilion we noticed that the Kodak spot was dark. We wondered then what was happening. But there is not anything much left there that doesn't need updating, including Figment. This whole area needs an update. We didn't even go into the other parts because they are so boring now.

Granny Jill A
09-13-2010, 02:13 PM

Oh boy. I'm going to celebrate when that happens. :D

Joannelet
09-13-2010, 02:44 PM
You know what I missed from Kodak? While in the waiting room for Honey I Shrunk the Audience Kodak originally had a great slideshow with pictures and sayings. This part was my favorite!! It was set to the song "True Colors." I loved it and when they took that away I was sooo disappointed.
I'm sure Disney will find a new sponsor in no time for this area.

lindique
09-13-2010, 06:33 PM
You know what I missed from Kodak? While in the waiting room for Honey I Shrunk the Audience Kodak originally had a great slideshow with pictures and sayings. This part was my favorite!! It was set to the song "True Colors." I loved it and when they took that away I was sooo disappointed.
I'm sure Disney will find a new sponsor in no time for this area.
I miss the really old pre-show "Makin' Memories" - really catchy tune and great photography.

Tekneek
09-14-2010, 06:56 PM
It is good to be optimistic, but I wouldn't count on a new sponsor showing up real soon. The trend in Future World does not look good.

Buttercup
09-14-2010, 07:07 PM
Maybe I'm in the minority but I kinda like the idea of Apple sponsoring something! The company has always been known for innovations in technology and if you are old like me and remember the original Dreamfinder, you remember him echoing the words: "BUT WHAT ABOUT SCIENCE?!?!" :mickey:
I say bring back Dreamfinder and get a company like Apple (or something as relevant in today's computer-driven world) to sponsor it. Could be cool!

Ian
09-14-2010, 07:28 PM
"BUT WHAT ABOUT SCIENCE?!?!" :mickey:WE'LL NEED ELECTRON BEAMS AND CRYSTAL PRISMS! GYROSCOPES AND MAGNETISMS!

Sorry ... got carried away ... :blush:

TheRustyScupper
09-14-2010, 09:41 PM
Personally, I wouldn't want to be associated with the Un-imagination pavillion

At least after they brought back Jackson.

Mousemates
09-15-2010, 09:59 AM

:thumbsup:

princessgirls
09-15-2010, 11:09 AM
The Disney "shirts" better get out and start pounding the pavement to find a "partner"...

Yeah, good luck with that, says the cynical woman!

If I were them, I'd be making an appointment over at Apple. What a great sponsor that would be!!!

Julie:mickey:

mcjaco
10-08-2010, 11:44 AM
Supposedly there are plans to redo the Imagination pavilion... Just waiting to be greenlit... Rumors online, and yes they are just rumors, say that a trackless system was designed, possibly taking out the store, Image Works, and possibly even the theater... Eo was supposed to be a place holder until the plans were greenlit... Now, with Kodak leaving, and adios to a company no longer relevant in the digital age, who knows that the future holds...

I say bring in Fuji.... Then, we can finally get Mt. Fuji ride in Japan in World Showcase!!!!!

I'd bet good money that Kodak has a no competition clause in their sponsorship deal. So I highly doubt that anothtr film company would be allowed in.

That being said, I know Kodak has really stuggled with the digital camera era. I'm sure the sponsorship dollars for the pavilion were more needed elsewhere.

I still don't see a refurb anytime soon, and all the "greenlit" projects I've heard of are way too pie in the sky.

I miss the really old pre-show "Makin' Memories" - really catchy tune and great photography.

Still the best pre-show for the pavilion. Sold the sponsor, and entertained you!

TheVBs
10-09-2010, 10:03 AM
I was a little surprised that some time back (a year ago?) Disney Movie Rewards switched from offering Kodak Gallery product rewards to Shutterfly product rewards.

DizneyFreak2002
10-09-2010, 07:15 PM
I'd bet good money that Kodak has a no competition clause in their sponsorship deal. So I highly doubt that anothtr film company would be allowed in.

That being said, I know Kodak has really stuggled with the digital camera era. I'm sure the sponsorship dollars for the pavilion were more needed elsewhere.

I still don't see a refurb anytime soon, and all the "greenlit" projects I've heard of are way too pie in the sky.

Still the best pre-show for the pavilion. Sold the sponsor, and entertained you!

Since their sponsorship deal for the Imagination pavilion ran out, I doubt any no competiton clause will be valid... If their other contracts have a no competition clause, then maybe it holds water....

big blue and hairy
10-11-2010, 08:50 AM
Not soon enough!

I honestly can't believe Disney still serves that garbage.
I believe the technical term is ca-ca.....:sick:

:sulley:

eam
10-11-2010, 09:15 AM
At least after they brought back Jackson.

:funny::funny::funny:

mcjaco
10-11-2010, 12:46 PM
Since their sponsorship deal for the Imagination pavilion ran out, I doubt any no competiton clause will be valid... If their other contracts have a no competition clause, then maybe it holds water....

If they're the "official" camera and film provider for the parks, there's no way Fuji, or any other film company would be allowed in. Regardless of pavilion sponsorship.

sportsguy2315
10-12-2010, 11:14 AM
If they're the "official" camera and film provider for the parks, there's no way Fuji, or any other film company would be allowed in. Regardless of pavilion sponsorship.

When I was writing a paper on the history of Epcot a couple years back :mickey: I ran into a nugget about how originally they wanted figment to be just like a dragon and be colored green and white. However, because of Kodak they decided to go with the purple and pink because the logic was the green and white would represent Fuji.

As for the pavilion, as much as I hate to say it, part of me thinks this is the end of the line for Figment (and the Imagination pavilion as we know it). The JIYI pavilion hasn't been relevant on the EPCOT stage since gosh, the whole Figment fiasco of 99? It does seem to me the EO is shoehorned in there to bide time, but for what? I will say though that in my heart (and thankfully) that Kodak leaving means that HISA is gone. That needed replacing a long time ago! ;)

GrumpyFan
10-13-2010, 10:51 PM
Here's my take on the matter. Kodak was the original sponsor for Captain EO, which means they paid so many dollars to help build the attraction and maintain it in its original form. I would guess that when asked by Disney to once again build and sponsor an attraction they already financed and wrote off the books, they could sell it to the board or their accountants, so they opted out.
They probably looked at it and said any money we could've made from this investment was already realized years ago, and how can we justify spending more money on an attraction we already invested in and have since written off? It's the equivalent of a car dealer trying to sell you your old car that you used to trade in for your newer one 10 years ago. Why would anybody buy a 20 year old car unless it was worth more than it was 20 years ago or if it will be in a few years.

DizHawk
10-14-2010, 04:28 PM
Count me amongst those who would like to see Apple come in as a sponsor for imagination. They would be a perfect fit and they have cash to burn. Jobs might be seen as someone who demands too much, but really, aren't the typical Disneyphiles pretty demanding as well? Apple has more name recognition than Siemens, and could possibly breathe new life into that wonderful building.

Two possible downsides:
People tend to have a love/hate relationship with Apple. The hardcore MS or Linux geeks will whine. I live in both worlds (write software for Windows, use an iPhone, iPad) but I know that mentality is out there.

Oh, and HP is a sponsor already. Might there be a conflict there?

caryrae
10-14-2010, 07:25 PM
I vote for Intercot to take over sponsorship, together we can get new light bulbs. Maybe Magical Journeys can help too.

SpecJoe Magic
10-21-2010, 08:28 AM
Good riddance, Kodak! They are partially responsible for the fiasco that happened to the Imagination pavilion, so I won't miss their association with it. Now maybe something positive can be done, though I'm skeptical for the time being. Still, I can't see any downsides to this occurrence.