PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone tell me about Ohana & Whispering Canyon?

wdwnutz
09-09-2010, 05:49 PM
Ok, we are finally trying 2 new TS for our 8 day trip in January. Can anyone tell me about Ohana for dinner and Whispering Canyon for dinner? We also have our favorites such as 50's Cafe, Crystal Palace, Chef Mickey's, Coral Reef and Boma already reserved.

bayouprincess
09-09-2010, 06:25 PM
We love whispering canyon! The girls like the pony races and the waiters are hilarious. It's loud and the food is pretty good.

crazeedizneefinatic
09-09-2010, 07:09 PM
I cannot comment on Ohana's for dinner but we have had breakfast there before and it was very good. Whispering Canyon is one we do every trip. The all you care to eat skillet is very good. The ribs are very tasty and the milkshakes are excellent.

wildernesslady
09-09-2010, 07:25 PM
Both are great choices. Alot of fun for kids. We enjoy the food at both.

crltkcagle
09-09-2010, 08:27 PM
These are our two top favorite places!

Ohana's serves your family style. Meaning they bring you food and it just keeps coming till your full! Its a great place for kids too. They do games (coconuts races) and learn how to hula dance. They also dance with their parents. Its a wonderful place!

WC- This is the most fun place to eat on WDW property if you ask my kids. The food is excellent especially if you like bbq! Just be sure to ask for ketchup and lots of refills on your drinks! You will have a blast!

LibertyTreeGal
09-09-2010, 09:11 PM
We all hated Ohanas but Whispering Canyon was wonderful!!

Briansmom
09-09-2010, 10:13 PM
Both of these are must do's for us now. The food is great at both of them and there is always something going on at both of them, a little more subdued at Ohana and wild and crazy at WCC. Give your server a hard time at WCC....it makes it more fun! First time we were there we had a server 'named' Dusty Trails and my then DD21 proceeded to call him Dirty Roads and it was on from that point forward! We laughed like crazy the entire meal!:D

cer
09-09-2010, 10:19 PM
Both of these are must do's for us now. The food is great at both of them and there is always something going on at both of them, a little more subdued at Ohana and wild and crazy at WCC. Give your server a hard time at WCC....it makes it more fun! First time we were there we had a server 'named' Dusty Trails and my then DD21 proceeded to call him Dirty Roads and it was on from that point forward! We laughed like crazy the entire meal!:D

OK -That's funny!

To the original poster - you have a great line-up of restaurants. Have a great trip! :mickey:

Genie1953
09-09-2010, 10:26 PM
We really liked Ohana's and will be a must do for future trips. Our favorite by far was Whispering Canyon Cafe. I am copying and pasting a reveiw of it from a trip report I did for our trip back in April.

"We absolutely loved dinner at Whispering Canyon Café where we had the skillet dinner. We had a great waiter. I think his name was Geno or Jeno or something along those lines. He kept things hopping for everyone he was waiting on that evening….kept cracking jokes….teased me about being difficult when I asked for a straw and then threw 3 of them at me while asking my husband if I was always that difficult. He saw my husband trying to wipe his face while eating ribs….and snatched up a napkin and reached around and tucked it around my husband’s neck announcing to everyone that he had to do everything for him since he was making such a mess. We were all laughing at Geno’s antics. We got such a kick out of everyone asking for ketchup and also the crayons for the kids and then watching everyone scramble to get them to the appropriate tables. When we were just about finished eating Geno walked over to us with 2 glasses of champagne and asked us to please stand up and announced to everyone that we had celebrated our 30th anniversary earlier that week and asked everyone to toast us and then congratulated us…..he finished up by asking us to kiss while he counted down from 10…..of course we were happy to oblige….but the problem was his method of counting down was……10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6………of course we finally realized what he was doing and started laughing so hard we could hardly stop. All in all it was a wonderful night and anyone who gets that guy for a waiter is due for a treat as he is very competent….very funny…..and so attentive….and just an all around good guy. I think we gave him a 25+% tip because he was so good."

As you can tell from the report....we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves at the Whispering Canyon Cafe.

4disneynuts
09-09-2010, 10:51 PM
We haven't eaten at Ohana yet (we are going to eat there in December) but as far as Whispering Canyon Cafe I can't say enough about it. This is our absolute favorite place to eat. Our DD's love this place. We all get the canyon skillet and always have a lot of great food. YUMMMY my mouth is watering right now. Can't wait to get back there in December. It is so fun there. We always have great laughs. :chef:

disneymomma2010
09-09-2010, 11:07 PM
We ate at both of those places last year and loved them. We had to make sure we got ressies for them both again this year. We are going to celebrate my 7 year old twin son's birthdays and i picked wispering canyon as our first place to eat the first day we are there. I know that they will make their birthdays a blast. And i think i had the same waiter "jeno" last year, he threw straws at me too and gave me a crazy look when asking for them. Stuff like that is what makes it disney.
We ate breakfast at ohana and doing it again this year. We loved it. The food was great, mickey and others come to see you, and the kids got to get up and dance around in a maraca parade around the room. Its also nice to get to see those resorts if you havent seen them before.

AnnaMom
09-10-2010, 12:40 AM
Love them both for Dinner! WC is very loud but the food is good - Smores Cheesecake(YUMMY)! The food @ Ohana is very good as well the shrimp are wonderful - would recommend both!

wdwnutz
09-10-2010, 11:09 PM
Thanks so much everyone! I can't wait to go!

mainemajor
09-12-2010, 09:15 AM
These are our two top favorite places!

Ohana's serves your family style. Meaning they bring you food and it just keeps coming till your full! Its a great place for kids too. They do games (coconuts races) and learn how to hula dance. They also dance with their parents. Its a wonderful place!

WC- This is the most fun place to eat on WDW property if you ask my kids. The food is excellent especially if you like bbq! Just be sure to ask for ketchup and lots of refills on your drinks! You will have a blast!

Agree totally.
The milkshakes are to die for and they are bottomless at WC, too.

Granny Jill A
09-14-2010, 02:48 PM
Ohana was one of those "once-in-a-lifetime" experiences for me. The food was outstanding and so was the service. Only drawback for me was the fact that I left my buffet stomach at home, and was forced to say STOP after one round of everything. ;)

Whispering Canyon was fun for my grandkids, but it kind of wore me down after so much hi-larious hi-jinks by the staff. Our food was OK, but I probably would put it into the "do-it-once-for-the-experience" category.

Hope you have a great time at either or both.

jenperich
09-14-2010, 05:03 PM
Do the hi-jinks happen at breakfast too? I think we'll be going for breakfast, and we want to have a good time.

Jennifer_and_Chris
09-14-2010, 05:15 PM
OHANA'S - LOVE IT!!!!!!!! for any meal....

Whispering Canyon - eh. we didn't care for the antics there. my parents especially didn't care for the antics until we explained it to them. and then they still didn't care for it.

Zawadi
09-14-2010, 05:34 PM
The milkshakes are to die for and they are bottomless at WC, too.

Does anybody know what flavours are offered and whether they are available in half fat milk?

We are making our first trip to WCC next Tuesday for dinner and are both going to go for the skillet after the many recommendations on this board.

Jared
09-14-2010, 05:40 PM
We love 'Ohana and consider it one of Disney's finest family dining experience. Our family skips pork products for religious purposes, and the restaurant graciously accommodates us with no issues.

I could probably make a meal on the salad, chicken wings and bread pudding alone, but that would force me to skip the dipping sauces that accompany the grilled meats! Just remember to skip lunch that day so you come hungry. I guarantee you will leave feeling completely stuffed.

I find people's reaction to Whispering Canyon Cafe seems to depend on their mood and demeanor. I understand how the antics could come across as pushy or silly if the diners come unprepared. Between the atmosphere and the pork-oriented menu, the restaurant doesn't really appeal to my family, but I recommend trying it once for the experience! A lot of people love it.

Hope this helps!

:)

7165red
09-15-2010, 03:16 PM
Ohana and WCC are both must for uson every trip.

jarajam
09-21-2010, 10:20 AM
For us, WC was fun and fun pretty good. We do it sometimes, not other times. Ohana at dinner is a must for us. Great atmosphere and incredible food!! Servers can get busy there bc it is very popular and lots is going, so its easy to feel a little "neglected" at times.