PDA

View Full Version : Taking our son to WDW but leaving the baby?

disney323
09-06-2010, 09:24 PM
DH and I just booked a short long weekend trip to Disney in October for our son's 5th birthday. We are leaving our 19 month old home. :( I am very anxious about doing this and am already second guessing on whether or not this was a good idea. I'm nervous about flying too! The reason we are leaving him home is because he is a very curious and active little guy that is into everything and doesn't stay still at all. Another reason is because our almost 5 year old was recently diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome and I feel like he could use a break from his brother to be quite honest.

Has anyone had experience traveling with your child/children and leaving the other child/children behind? Please reassure me! Thank you!

dinahvixen
09-06-2010, 10:12 PM
More than nervous flyer myself, hate flying most when I don't have my kids with me - selfish and weird, but there it is! Anyway, it may not help, but we did bring our 19 month old along with our just turned 8 year old, and I was surprised at how easy it was to handle the baby. I was really figuring it would be meaningless to her, being so young, and take away from her sister, but her sister enjoyed taking the 19mo on her favorite rides and they both played in fountains and things that older dd may not have done by herself. Anyway, if you're at all like me, you'll be so anxious about flying wo the baby and leaving him behind, that it will overshadow the fun of the trip. Perhaps you could do a different thing with the older son that's just him, since the baby is still free at Disney and on flights. I just know I would fret over it and my 19mo was actually fun to bring. Different situation from yours, but I think a similar state of mind.

disney323
09-06-2010, 10:28 PM
I'd have to buy a seat for our 19 mo. old because he would never sit. He literally is running on high from the minute he wakes up until the minute he goes to sleep. We can't take our eyes off of him. We're going, but hopefully I can calm down enough to enjoy it. Thanks for your advice.

Belster
09-06-2010, 10:50 PM
My husband and I actually considered this after the birth of our third child. The only reason we did not do a trip with just the two older children is because we ended up having both grandmas a grandpa an uncle and an aunt join us. We had plenty of people there to allow us to focus on the older kids.

I think you are doing the right thing for your older child...but if it is going to ruin your trip I would not chance it.

You may need this time alone with your older child to see him through a different light. You will appreciate him so much more when you can really focus on him. Just a thought.

SBETigg
09-07-2010, 07:25 AM
I think it's the sweetest thing for your five year old and you should leave the guilt, and the little one, behind this time. How much he will love having you to himself for a change! The younger one won't know what he's missing or hold you accountable for leaving him at home. He might have a great adventure, too. I think it's healthy to have some special time with each child, and maybe when the little one gets to be that age, you can do something special with him, too. My advice is to go and enjoy this time with your older son as long as you are leaving your younger one in good hands and can relax a bit once over the initial anxiety.

Mommy2boys
09-07-2010, 08:22 AM
I have taken our kids at diffent ages and I have never had any issues with them. They are soo amused by it all that they are fine in a stroller.

lovinmesomedisney
09-07-2010, 09:42 AM
I have done this in the past. I have four kids, so if I would have waited until they were all old enough to enjoy it, the first one probably wouldn't have experienced that "Magic" of the trip when he was at the age where everything was so "REAL" to him. There is nothing wrong with leaving a little one behind. They may like some things, but they also can slow you way down. Besides, this trip is for your oldest. If you take the baby, one of you will have to sit off most of the rides. It will be so exciting for your five year old to have his mommy and daddy both with him. I would feel no guilt whatsoever. You may be doing the little one a great big favor! :mickey:

Ms. Mode
09-07-2010, 10:36 AM
I think it's the sweetest thing for your five year old and you should leave the guilt, and the little one, behind this time. How much he will love having you to himself for a change! The younger one won't know what he's missing or hold you accountable for leaving him at home. He might have a great adventure, too. I think it's healthy to have some special time with each child, and maybe when the little one gets to be that age, you can do something special with him, too. My advice is to go and enjoy this time with your older son as long as you are leaving your younger one in good hands and can relax a bit once over the initial anxiety.
Ditto :thumbsup:

brownie
09-07-2010, 11:56 AM
We've gone a couple times without the kids when they were younger. It didn't phase me a bit. I think you'll be fine. Are you leaving your younger son with family? That should make it a little easier.

I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about the flying. Deal with things when they happen. Chances are that nothing will happen, so you'll spend a lot of time worrying over nothing.

Ropachs
09-07-2010, 02:42 PM
Last time we did take our "baby" - she was almost two. BUT, Grandma and Grandpa came with us too, so it was a huge help. We are all going again this year, she will have just turned four.
If the Grandparents hadn't been with us, it would have been rough, esp. as DD has Down Syndrome. We are considering a trip in a few years with just our son. Everyone tells us it will be good for both of them for some down time without each other, and I believe it. You have to do what you think is best for your family and situation. I hope you have a great trip!

Bellewannabe
09-07-2010, 05:10 PM
We have taken various trips with different combinations of our kids. I get most nervous about traveling DH and I with none of them. Our oldest is autistic and he would not rebound well in the event of a catastrophe. Leaving the two little ones behind and taking him, I'm fine. Regardless, I do it. Remind yourself you're in as much danger walking out your door in the morning. The five year old will love Disney on his terms and the little one will definitely detract from his enjoyment even if he is low maintenance. Has the 5 year old been there before? I have lots of experience doing Disney with autism. Good Luck!

BrerGnat
09-07-2010, 06:11 PM
I have a six year old and a 4 year old. Both are spectrum kids, to varying degrees. My older one is more severely affected, but is actually EASIER to deal with than the younger one (who is a wild, stubborn, rule breaking little boy). ;)

I would have LOVED to do what you are doing when my youngest was a toddler. However, we didn't even feel comfortable leaving him with family for more than a day at most. He was just too difficult to handle.

Go, and don't think twice about it. Your 19m old will never know the difference, and it will be really good for you to do WDW with new knowledge of your son's condition. THEN, when you return as a whole family again, you'll feel more relaxed because you'll know how things will work for your older son.