PDA

View Full Version : New DVC Resort?

Ian
09-06-2010, 03:32 PM
I've been hearing/reading some rumors that Disney may be planning a new DVC over by Ft. Wilderness.

Supposedly, it will be (not shockingly) a wild west themed resort. Allegedly, it will involve removing the remnants of River Country, as well.

Anyone else heard anything like this?

JPL
09-06-2010, 06:37 PM
I hope they are true I would love another option to stay at :thumbsup:

PopPhan
09-06-2010, 06:54 PM
There is another thread on INTERCOT (somewhere -- it escapes me right now) about a new resort being in the offing -- it did not, however, say anything about DVC. I replied in that thread that I expected that it would be DVC and kind of pooh-poohed the thought.

Somebody in the corporate offices needs to learn what Walt Disney was all about with the creation of Disneyland (the advent of the current group of parks) -- They were to be places where families could go and enjoy themselves as families -- NOT where only the WEALTHY could bring their families.

BUT, I guess as long as there are still people who will fork out the thousands upon thousands of dollars to buy in to a fancy timeshare scheme, they'll keep on building them and pricing everyone else out.....

Sorry! This is a personal peeve :mad: and I tend to rant over it!

DizneyRox
09-06-2010, 08:47 PM
Sounds like there's already some infrastructure over at River Country, so why not. DVC properties don't really bother me so much, they tend to be quieter than the non-DVC properties. Wild West though? Not really my cup of tea...

tundramom
09-06-2010, 08:54 PM
- They were to be places where families could go and enjoy themselves as families -- NOT where only the WEALTHY could bring their families.
BUT, I guess as long as there are still people who will fork out the thousands upon thousands of dollars to buy in to a fancy timeshare scheme, they'll keep on building them and pricing everyone else out.....
I think this a bit harsh, not saying I don't respect your opinion, but would like to point out that not all DVC owners are "wealthy" and DVC is not "pricing everyone else out".
We made a decision to buy based on the amount of money we were spending to vacation at WDW yearly. We are by no means wealthy-strictly middle-class- however my DH and I both do work full time. We save aggressively for vacations and other than an occasional meal out we don't spend much on entertainment. We rarely go to movies (except a new Disney release like Alice:cloud9:), don't drink or smoke, and don't go to things like concerts or pro/college sports events (as much as we'd love to go to a Buckeyes game, can't justify $100's for tickets). Vacations are our yearly splurge, the year we bought in we stayed 10 nights at WL, at the time, the cost of that trip was nearly 1/3 of our buy in, instead we get many years of resort stays. As far as pricing people out, the price of the other resorts haven't changed significantly with the increase of DVC membership. Unlike the public, DVC members never get free dining or "free" days on their park tickets, they have our money and know we'll buy tickets and meals. And, finally, in reference to the original intent of the post, if they do develop that area, what difference does it make if it's DVC? You currently don't have access to that area anyways. If that is where you always dreamed of staying you can always book there online once it opens/ just like the treehouse villas. Many DVC members can't get reservations at the treehouses because nonDVC'ers have paid out of pocket for them-probably because this is where they always wanted to stay.

BellesRose
09-06-2010, 08:56 PM
I would LOVE this! :thumbsup:

PopPhan
09-06-2010, 09:11 PM
I think this a bit harsh, not saying I don't respect your opinion, but would like to point out that not all DVC owners are "wealthy" and DVC is not "pricing everyone else out".
We made a decision to buy based on the amount of money we were spending to vacation at WDW yearly. We are by no means wealthy-strictly middle-class- however my DH and I both do work full time. We save aggressively for vacations and other than an occasional meal out we don't spend much on entertainment. We rarely go to movies (except a new Disney release like Alice:cloud9:), don't drink or smoke, and don't go to things like concerts or pro/college sports events (as much as we'd love to go to a Buckeyes game, can't justify $100's for tickets). Vacations are our yearly splurge, the year we bought in we stayed 10 nights at WL, at the time, the cost of that trip was nearly 1/3 of our buy in, instead we get many years of resort stays. As far as pricing people out, the price of the other resorts haven't changed significantly with the increase of DVC membership. Unlike the public, DVC members never get free dining or "free" days on their park tickets, they have our money and know we'll buy tickets and meals. And, finally, in reference to the original intent of the post, if they do develop that area, what difference does it make if it's DVC? You currently don't have access to that area anyways. If that is where you always dreamed of staying you can always book there online once it opens/ just like the treehouse villas. Many DVC members can't get reservations at the treehouses because nonDVC'ers have paid out of pocket for them-probably because this is where they always wanted to stay.

DVC rooms, for the non-member are as expensive, or more so, than the Deluxe resorts (i.e. over $300/night in the "Value Season"). The number of "affordable" rooms (i.e. under $100/night in the "Value Season") is not increasing accordingly. How many "Value" rooms have been added since Pop Century opened in 2003? Now, how many DVC rooms have been added? Also, some of the existing "Value" rooms were taken to make into "Family Suites" at more than twice the price of a regular room.

In a down economy, those will limited resources are being told to that since we don't have the $$$ for Moderate, Deluxe, or DVC accommodations, we just don't matter.

Harsh, I don't think so, just realistic.

tundramom
09-06-2010, 09:35 PM
I can't imagine another hotelier that crunches numbers more than Disney, if the demand was there for Value resorts they would have finished POP as originally planned. It's not like they would turn away a whole segment of the population, once you are there the dollars you spend are essentially the same as anyone else's. As DVCer's we actually spend less than in the past on the merchandise/extras. Whereas, folks that don't go as frequently probably spend more.

Zone Stop
09-06-2010, 09:43 PM
I can't imagine another hotelier that crunches numbers more than Disney

Exactly. I can promise you that if the demand is large enough to supply (such as opening the second half of pop, versus adding one additional building), Disney will do it posthaste. Unfortunately, it looks like you, like myself, tend to be in the minority on things like this.

JPL
09-06-2010, 09:59 PM
Disney is trying to keep up with the demand for DVC. I can say as a DVC it gets more difficult each year to get a DVC room on property. They also recently just addressed the demand for Luxury accomadations by adding the 4 Seasons resort & Million $ homes. Now these are 2 things I will most likely never get to enjoy but I see the need for them. What should concern people more than rooms they can't afford is the constant rise in ticket prices and airfare. I also think Disney feels that there are plenty of Hotel Rooms under $100 a night offsite so it's not worth competeing with them. I have a friend who just stayed offsite for $29 a night and said he felt like he was closer to the parks than the times he stayed on Disney Property!

BellesRose
09-06-2010, 10:13 PM
DVC rooms, for the non-member are as expensive, or more so, than the Deluxe resorts
Sorry, but I have to disagree with that. It's much cheaper to stay at Saratoga Springs than the Wilderness Lodge. Personally, I feel that all of the Villas are a much better deal than any of the other resorts.

BrerGnat
09-06-2010, 10:17 PM
I heard about this too, but it wasn't "wild west" theme, it was "upscale wilderness cabins/duplexes", like, the type of luxury cabins you'd find in mountain resorts (NOT like the Ft. Wilderness "porta cabins").

I could see a niche for this. However, I find the area near Ft. Wilderness to be dreadfully secluded. I'd not be interested in ever staying in that area. The furthest that way I'll ever go is WL. And, it should be noted that WL DVC is strikingly similar in theme to this idea, so I'm not sure how popular it would be.

Really, though, I think they need to make sure they can fill the rooms they DO have (as close to 100% as possible) before investing in MORE rooms on property.

seanyred
09-06-2010, 11:17 PM
haven't heard this yet but it sounds fun. Plus I like that it might be a little secluded, that's one of the main reaaons I love Kidani Village.

as for the DVC is only for the wealthy. I own and I am very much middle class and the long term cost made more sense for us. If the demand is high they will build more.

and as for more value resorts. Did we forget about the new resort that is being built were POP was supposed to be finished.

there is something for everyone.

DizneyRox
09-07-2010, 07:45 AM
Remember that the cost of building the resorts is pretty much "financed" by those owning at that resort. A normal resort takes a lot longer to become profitable. There's a reason they put the brakes on finishing out Pop Century and that's they were building too fast and wouldn't have been able to fill it. In that time, I beleive SSR has sold out, and I would guess that Kidani is well along that path and even BLT.

Judging by the discounts well into next year already released, they are still having trouble filling rooms.

Make what you can sell...

Ian
09-07-2010, 08:07 AM
Disney isn't stupid. They go where the money (i.e. the demand) is.

The deluxe resorts on Disney property fill up fast. More specifically, the high-end rooms in the deluxe resorts fill up even faster. Just try to get an MK view room at the Contemporary on short notice. Good luck with that.

It's the moderates where they tend to have the most issue filling rooms. There are always cheerleader competitions and Pop Warner football teams to fill up the value rooms, so they don't sweat those too much. But the true "value" guest who wants to pay under $100 a night for a hotel room is probably going to go stay at a Best Western or something like that anyway, so Disney isn't going to build out more low-end rooms when that's not what their guests want.

And as far as DVC goes, it's selling and it's a great business model for them. They get heads in beds and it costs them (literally) nothing. The resorts are self-sustaining, paid for by the owners. It's a brilliant business model, so there's no way they're going to back off of it.

PopPhan
09-07-2010, 08:44 AM
Sorry, but I have to disagree with that. It's much cheaper to stay at Saratoga Springs than the Wilderness Lodge. Personally, I feel that all of the Villas are a much better deal than any of the other resorts.

Only if you are looking at Wilderness Lodge Villas rather than Wilderness Lodge in general.

Wilderness Lodge "from" $240/night
Saratoga Springs Villas "from" $295/night
Wilderness Lodge Villas "from" $330/night

These numbers were taken directly from the WDW Online site.

Look, I'm not trying to fight, I'm just making a statement that "reasonably priced" lodging "In The Magic" is being supplanted by timeshare properties. A few respondents even go so far as to say that if we want "reasonably priced" we would be much better off staying off-property - as if we are 'second class' visitors.

Value visitors are already being considered "lower class" in that the offers are more and more scaled back every year - "Free DDP" => only QS, where all other resorts get Standard; talk (and yes, I know it is only rumor) of charging for parking IF you stay Value; etc. If this is the case, Disney should just sell off the Value resorts and be done with it. Certainly would help their bottom line.....

Ian, and others, has a good point about the business model and DisneyRox's point on the financing structure for construction -- I grant those points and agree. I just find it very unfortunate that, where Disney Parks are concerned, the thought that an affordable family vacation can be had "In The Magic," is becoming a fading memory.

Again, sorry for the rant....I'm done now!!

azcavalier
09-07-2010, 08:59 AM
You know, DVC can be pretty inexpensive. My DW and I bought someone else's contract for OKW just a few years ago. We bought 25 points, for something like $2400. What can 25 points a year do, you ask? Well, we've had it for four years, and it's enough so that every other year, we can stay for a week (Mon-Fri) in a studio. The first time we stayed at Boardwalk. This last trip in May we stayed at the Villas at Wilderness Lodge. We basically use it for our anniversary trip every 2-3 years. At least, that's our plan. And with those rooms paid for, and we can fly to Orlando from Virginia for $100/person round trip, then all we have to do is pay for food and park tickets.

We're not rich. We just didn't buy a lot of points, and didn't buy what we do have from Disney. There are a lot of DVC contracts that you can buy resale, for relatively little money.

Ian
09-07-2010, 09:04 AM
I just find it very unfortunate that, where Disney Parks are concerned, the thought that an affordable family vacation can be had "In The Magic," is becoming a fading memory.
Again, sorry for the rant....I'm done now!!I definitely don't think you're ranting and I wasn't really disagreeing with what you were saying, I was just giving what I think Disney's viewpoint is.

But I do agree with you ... there's no doubt it's becoming more difficult for families on a budget to enjoy staying on property.

Ian
09-07-2010, 09:20 AM
There are a lot of DVC contracts that you can buy resale, for relatively little money.Quite true. I've seen some SSR contracts lately going for under $70 per point.

And the thing is, if you believe that DVC is a good value (which I openly admit not everyone does) then buying it is actually a better move financially for those with limited budgets vs. paying cash.

I know that in recent years, with the dismal economy, we've all gotten used to being able to find good discounts and deals on Disney trips, but trust me ... those will be going away sooner rather than later. If you all of a sudden find yourself paying rack rates for rooms, DVC will start looking like a significantly better investment.

Aurora
09-07-2010, 09:49 AM
I know River Country is completely unrepairable and I'm not saying they should've rebuilt it (although I do miss it), but if the rumor is true, it's too bad that another resort would go there instead of another attraction. Or if they were to build a resort, it would be great if it were a combination of resort/DVC/new smaller attraction, like Pirate Swamp or something. :thumbsup: ;)

DVC2004
09-07-2010, 09:54 AM
There is another thread on INTERCOT (somewhere -- it escapes me right now) about a new resort being in the offing -- it did not, however, say anything about DVC. I replied in that thread that I expected that it would be DVC and kind of pooh-poohed the thought.

Somebody in the corporate offices needs to learn what Walt Disney was all about with the creation of Disneyland (the advent of the current group of parks) -- They were to be places where families could go and enjoy themselves as families -- NOT where only the WEALTHY could bring their families.

Look, we purchased our contract in 2004 and have a monthly payment of $155/month which is almost paid off. To me that hardly seems like something only a wealthy person can afford. Do you have a car payment that low even? An electric bill? People have priorities and choose to spend thier money how they see fit. There are all ranges of people and incomes who own DVC or timeshare in general. I don't consider DVC a "scheme" and I feel we have gotten our money's worth ten times over already. Generally people who say this really don't understand how it works or maybe can't or don't vacation yearly to make it worth thier money. I also bought so we would be able to give this to our kids- one of whom has special needs and may not be able to do something like this for himself later in life.

Disney can be enjoyed by all- we just went 3 weeks ago and stayed at All Star Sports withought using our points for $49/night. Don't turn this into rich vs. poor. If you feel that the Value resorts have the connotation of being "low class"- that is your opinion. I have no idea where you get that from. We never felt that way during our stay at any time or felt any lesser treatment than at our past DVC and deluxe stays.

I don't know why DVC is the only topic on this site where it seems acceptable to bash and insult. If someone went on and bashed All Stars or the campground everyone would have a canniption and the thread would be closed. I guess because DVC is perceived to be for the "rich" and "wealthy" that makes it OK.

On to the topic for which this thread was created- I hadn't heard this rumor but it seems wierd they would have such a similar theme! Also with so many resorts not yet sold out, overabundance of resale contracts and the fact that Hawaii isn't selling...wouldn't be the best business decision at this time but hey.

DVC2004
09-07-2010, 10:23 AM
Value visitors are already being considered "lower class" in that the offers are more and more scaled back every year - "Free DDP" => only QS, where all other resorts get Standard; talk (and yes, I know it is only rumor) of charging for parking IF you stay Value; etc. If this is the case, Disney should just sell off the Value resorts and be done with it. Certainly would help their bottom line.....

Oh and Free DIning isn't "free"- you are paying for it by getting a non-discounted room. Disney just finally figured out that they are losing money offering free table service on a $100 per night room. Hence the QS. Disney is a business and all decisions are based on money- keeping it, making more, and not losing it. Probably they are hoping the QS will affect some (not all) guests to upgrade to a MOD and therefor spend more- you guessed it- money.

BTW DVC gets no such offers of free dining plan or even discounted dining plan.

DizneyRox
09-07-2010, 10:35 AM
IF they are really looking at this, the Wild West type theme is probably the only one I could see fitting over in that area. It's sandwiched by Wilderness Lodge and Fort Wilderness. I can't imagine anything else fitting without looking WAY out of place.

BellesRose
09-07-2010, 10:36 AM
Only if you are looking at Wilderness Lodge Villas rather than Wilderness Lodge in general.

Wilderness Lodge "from" $240/night
Saratoga Springs Villas "from" $295/night
Wilderness Lodge Villas "from" $330/night

I'm signed in right now and for the 4 nights I'm going, Saratoga Springs is $770 while the Wilderness Lodge is $1,021. And that's not even a room with a good view. I don't know if WL is cheaper than SSR in general, but whenever I go, it seems to be more (Which is why I started going to SSR in the first place).

DVC2004
09-07-2010, 11:22 AM
IF they are really looking at this, the Wild West type theme is probably the only one I could see fitting over in that area. It's sandwiched by Wilderness Lodge and Fort Wilderness. I can't imagine anything else fitting without looking WAY out of place.

Very true. I agree though probably not a theme I would be crazy about...

Ian
09-07-2010, 11:24 AM
I know River Country is completely unrepairable and I'm not saying they should've rebuilt it (although I do miss it), but if the rumor is true, it's too bad that another resort would go there instead of another attraction.I had the same reaction, actually. Given that their two existing water parks are almost always packed to the gills, I was always hoping that they would re-build River Country or at least build a new waterpark on the old RC site.

Kinda disappointed that they're going the DVC resort route instead. That area already feels fairly saturated with resorts to me. I mean, you have Ft. Wilderness, Wilderness Lodge, Contemporary, Poly, and GF. I guess they're assuming that another MK area DVC will bring big bucks.

seanyred
09-07-2010, 12:05 PM
I had the same reaction, actually. Given that their two existing water parks are almost always packed to the gills, I was always hoping that they would re-build River Country or at least build a new waterpark on the old RC site.

Kinda disappointed that they're going the DVC resort route instead. That area already feels fairly saturated with resorts to me. I mean, you have Ft. Wilderness, Wilderness Lodge, Contemporary, Poly, and GF. I guess they're assuming that another MK area DVC will bring big bucks.

Unless they do something like the the Tree House Villas at SSR. That might make more sense to allow a different type of Grand Villa experience. And maybe they could incorporate a small resort only water park. Having stayed at Kidani their pool/water play area is perfect for my family and keeps us away from the main water parks.

princessgirls
09-07-2010, 12:08 PM
I have some fond memories of River Country as a kid. It was really "fun" back in the 80's...

DVC works, why not use that land for more!!
IF the lake wasn't so gross maybe they could actually do a water activity over there. Give it the whole "mountain" vacation feel.

Julie:mickey:

TikiLounger
09-07-2010, 12:17 PM
Disney can be enjoyed by all- we just went 3 weeks ago and stayed at All Star Sports withought using our points for $49/night. Don't turn this into rich vs. poor. If you feel that the Value resorts have the connotation of being "low class"- that is your opinion. I have no idea where you get that from. We never felt that way during our stay at any time or felt any lesser treatment than at our past DVC and deluxe stays.

I don't know why DVC is the only topic on this site where it seems acceptable to bash and insult. If someone went on and bashed All Stars or the campground everyone would have a canniption and the thread would be closed. I guess because DVC is perceived to be for the "rich" and "wealthy" that makes it OK.

On to the topic for which this thread was created- I hadn't heard this rumor but it seems wierd they would have such a similar theme! Also with so many resorts not yet sold out, overabundance of resale contracts and the fact that Hawaii isn't selling...wouldn't be the best business decision at this time but hey.

I can't agree with you more. Last June, my daughter and I stayed at a value for the first time, ever. It was simply a choice we made and had nothing to do with what "class" the hotel was. The price was right for our second trip in 6mos and that was that. While I've said that I'll never stay at a value again, it has nothing to do with the resort itself and I never got the impression from anyone that we were "lower class" for staying there. The only reason I choose to avoid value resorts is because they seem SO crowded and hectic. the rooms were adequate, the food court was fine. Actually, the only time I felt we were treated differently than we were during our past stays was IN the food court and it was because the staff treated us so poorly. Other than that? no difference.

And...I, too, am getting a bit annoyed by the "double standard" way of thinking that allows the "perceived" rich and wealthy to be bashed and the "in their own words" lower class to be left alone. It's a very pervasive theme in our society, at the moment. I find it very tiresome.

Back to topic...I would welcome the western theming of a new resort. I LOVE FW and The Wilderness Lodge.

BTW...I've just recently heard about the Hawaii DVC. I'd really love to check it out...I LOVE Hawaii.

diz_girl
09-07-2010, 03:32 PM
I just find it very unfortunate that, where Disney Parks are concerned, the thought that an affordable family vacation can be had "In The Magic," is becoming a fading memory.

Again, sorry for the rant....I'm done now!!

Rant away, that's why we're here.

As for an affordable Disney vacation, when I was growing up, our family only went to WDW once every four years. Not everyone went to WDW then either. There was the CR, the Poly and FW. If you couldn't afford the CR or the Poly, then you camped, if you could afford to go at all. It only seems that in the past decade or so that an annual Disney vacation was expected. As for my family, we still won't go every year, but every other year.

A new DVC resort at the old River Country just doesn't sound right. Unless they do a Treehouse-type place and include it as an extension of VWL, even though River Country is right next to FW.

I miss River Country. :(

BrerGnat
09-07-2010, 06:24 PM
I think Disney could benefit from another water park as well, one closer to MK. That is what I'd like to see MOST done over there. I could live with an additional DVC, though. Those are everywhere...

At this point, almost anything is better than what's currently there, rotting away.

GothMickey
09-09-2010, 12:32 PM
The DVC argument wages war here at Intercot too, I see. More civil than on other boards, however. Staying in a value resort has nothing to do with being "low class." I stayed at Pop Century, but sometimes I splurged and picked a day or two and stay at a moderate. I stayed at a deluxe once or twice, only cause my parents were paying, when I was a child. I pick my resort based on my budget. I refuse to spend large sums of money on a bed and shower. I rather spend the extra money on food or other experiences in WDW.

That said, I heard the DVC rumor too. I think this is legit and will be a nice addition. A new water park? That would have been nice. Maybe the new resort could be a water part resort? Didn't one recently open in Orlando?

Ian
09-09-2010, 01:01 PM
I agree with you totally on the "low class/value" issue. I've stayed at Pop Century and two of the three All Stars more than once. I did it because either A. I needed a reasonably priced add-on room to cover days for which I didn't want to burn DVC points or B. because we really wanted to squeeze an extra trip in during a given year and needed to be fiscally responsible about it.

At other times, when we've gotten too-good-to-pass up deals we've also stayed offsite.

GothMickey
09-09-2010, 01:09 PM
I agree with you totally on the "low class/value" issue. I've stayed at Pop Century and two of the three All Stars more than once. I did it because either A. I needed a reasonably priced add-on room to cover days for which I didn't want to burn DVC points or B. because we really wanted to squeeze an extra trip in during a given year and needed to be fiscally responsible about it.

At other times, when we've gotten too-good-to-pass up deals we've also stayed offsite.

I understand the draw of the DVC. The room are really nice (took the tour while on a recent trip). Not to say it isn't worth it, I think it is and would never bash a DVC owner, but my choice is to pay less for a room when in reality the room only is a bed and shower. I crunched the numbers and DVC is worth the value as far as I am concerned. I just love the theme of Pop Century. The resort is fab (tossing our a pop culture term). Not thrilled with the All-Star resorts anymore. Looking forward to the Animation resort now.

Ian
09-09-2010, 01:55 PM
Heh ... I own DVC, but even I won't say 100% that I'm convinced it's a "good deal" (especially considering how relative that term is).

I think, at best, you can say that there's a very solid chance it will turn out to be a nice hedge against inflation in terms of the cost of a room in Disney World.

AndrewJackson
09-09-2010, 09:24 PM
My family and I were dining at Whispering Canyon several years ago - probably 10 or more. We were chosed to lower the flag at Wilderness Lodge. The CM told us about plans to add a Hotel Cheyenne in the area between WL and FW. There were also plans to use the old FW train and connect the three areas with a train route. If you look at the layout of WL, the bus station is positioned to serve as a train station as well.

There was also to be an entertainment area similar to the Boardwalk. I think they were hoping to use this area for the MK resorts to come and spend some money!

Obviously it never happened, but it sounds like parts of the plan may be in use for the rumored DVC resort.

joonyer
09-13-2010, 10:34 AM
Sorry, I get little preturned when I read/hear of arguments among regular WDW visitors about "class" distinctions. Debate about wealthy vs. poor really don't make any sense when it comes to discussing Disney vacations. So Walt's idea for Disneyland was all about families being able to enjoy a clean decent theme park, but he still charged admission. and there were lots of people who couldn't afford admission, much less a trip to California to get there.

Let's be clear, NOBODY who can afford even the park passes for multi-day WDW vacation qualifies as poor, even if they stay off-site in a $29 per night motel. We (WDW devotees), no matter how much we spend, are only "poor" when we fall into the trip of comparing ourselves to those who have more $$$ and things and leisure time than we do, and then take the next step into envy and jealousy. Instead we should be comparing our situations to a family who can't take any vacation at all, because they don't know how they are going to pay heir rent next month, and then be grateful for any opportunity we have to visit the happiest place on earth.

So, to keep on topic, if it helps WDW make money and keep the gates open, I'm all for a new DVC resort at the old River Country site. We are not able to visit WDW often enough to be in the market for a DVC membership, but I don't begrudge those who are.

fupresti
09-13-2010, 07:38 PM
Can someone point out where Walt demanded that Disneyland be affordable and attainable to everyone? Why should Disney be faulted for running a profitable business model?

joonyer
09-13-2010, 08:32 PM
Sorry, I get little preturned when I read/hear of arguments among regular WDW visitors about "class" distinctions.

Oops! I don't know how I could misspell "perturbed" as "preturned". :shrug:

Sorry for any confusion. :doh:

GothMickey
09-14-2010, 04:02 PM
Someone on another board, who is pretty reliable, said a new DVC is planned and ready for construction. The new DVC will not be at River Country. He did not say where on property the new DVC will go, nor did he say what the theme would be. The statement was pretty vague.

Ian
09-14-2010, 04:23 PM
Someone on another board, who is pretty reliable, said a new DVC is planned and ready for construction. The new DVC will not be at River Country. He did not say where on property the new DVC will go, nor did he say what the theme would be. The statement was pretty vague.Haven't seen that. Everything I've read and heard has basically confirmed the River Country site.

Also heard that Grand Floridian is back in the mix, although it was unclear whether that was going to be next after River Country or in conjunction with. Those rumors varied between demolishing the spa and tennis area to build a DVC (seems unlikely unless they do another high rise) and converting one or more existing buildings to DVC properties (a la Animal Kingdom Lodge). My best guess is that it would encompass both of those things. Probably a quick turn conversion of an existing building or two with a follow-up project of a new building somewhere.

Mousemates
09-14-2010, 11:45 PM
not a DVCer...I don't have a dog in that race (nor do I intend to buy one:))...However, I am for anything that increases the overall number of rooms "on property." The law of supply and demand tells me that with each incremental increase in supply, that the likelihood of being able to get a fairly substantial discount off of the rack rate incrementally increases as well. And given florida law which requires a certain percentage of rooms be held open for non-owners of the timeshares, DVC rooms do add to the overall pool.

The truth is that as non-owners we have had the chance to stay in "Club Resorts" (including the much vaunted treehouses) at some pretty nice rates through the years...and would enjoy having an extra option-whether that option is at River Country or elsewhere.

GothMickey
09-15-2010, 03:32 PM
Haven't seen that. Everything I've read and heard has basically confirmed the River Country site.

Also heard that Grand Floridian is back in the mix, although it was unclear whether that was going to be next after River Country or in conjunction with. Those rumors varied between demolishing the spa and tennis area to build a DVC (seems unlikely unless they do another high rise) and converting one or more existing buildings to DVC properties (a la Animal Kingdom Lodge). My best guess is that it would encompass both of those things. Probably a quick turn conversion of an existing building or two with a follow-up project of a new building somewhere.

Interesting. I know we cannot link other sites here, but I know I read it elsewhere.

The Grand Floridian rumor I heard about. Not sure how much I'd like that added to GF though.

Ian
09-15-2010, 04:07 PM
The Grand Floridian rumor I heard about. Not sure how much I'd like that added to GF though.I think the economics of it will continue to move Disney to convert existing hotel rooms to DVC.

It's a no-brainer for them, really. They get PILES of cash up front and convert potentially empty rooms into ownership situations. They essentially offload all the maintenance, upkeep, and housekeeping costs to the timeshare owners.

The financial benefits to Disney must be enormous.

DizneyFreak2002
09-15-2010, 07:42 PM
I think the economics of it will continue to move Disney to convert existing hotel rooms to DVC.

It's a no-brainer for them, really. They get PILES of cash up front and convert potentially empty rooms into ownership situations. They essentially offload all the maintenance, upkeep, and housekeeping costs to the timeshare owners.

The financial benefits to Disney must be enormous.

This is the reason I can see Grand Floridian getting a DVC section... I'd stay there!!!

DizneyRox
09-16-2010, 01:22 PM
This is the reason I can see Grand Floridian getting a DVC section... I'd stay there!!!
Doesn't matter if you'd stay there, all they need to do is sell the ownership. That's the beauty of DVC.

tomatoe pie
09-16-2010, 01:29 PM
i would like to have another dvc choice. i have been a dvc member for about 7 years now and have never regretted the purchase. we have enough room for all of us to stay together now and before i had to pay for 2 rooms, which gets pretty expensive.

someday i may not be able to afford the expense of park tickets and the signature restaurants, but we can prepare meals in our villa and just enjoy the free entertainment areas. we will always have a room (a very nice room) to stay in.

dtd is free and a very nice entertaining area to walk around, look, and listen to the music. also the animal kingdom lodge does not charge visitors to enjoy their beautiful lobby and the animals. also the garden areas of all resorts are beautiful. all dvc resorts have nice swimming areas that do not cost extra.:thumbsup:

at christmas the lobby decorations in all of the resorts make a fantastic tour. a lot of areas charge for tours of special decorated areas, but at disney it is free.:mickey:

we love the parks but can enjoy the outside surroundings aswell:)