PDA

View Full Version : I have no idea what I'm doing, please help!

BiloxiMom
09-05-2010, 12:33 PM
I am a Disney girl. We are a Disney family. We've never gone to U.S. Because of HP, we're now planning on spending 2 days there before our WDW trip in late Jan. We are planning on spending the days at the Portofino. Do I need dining reservations? They have the weirdest dining plan I've ever tried to work with. Where do we need to eat? What about the 3 Broomsticks? What are their "not to be missed rides/shows" (except HP, we know we will spend lots of time there.) Any help would be great! I just don't know where to start.:confused:

sassy2000
09-05-2010, 02:56 PM
I don't know about the 3 broomsticks but we have never made any reservations for dinner there. City Walk has a couple good restaurants. We have done Hard Rock, Margaritaville, and Latin Quarter. We have also done Island restaurant in the Royal Pacific hotel. When we walked in to Islands around 6:30 and were seated immediately. They actually had Homer & Bart Simpson that night.
As for your don't miss attractions, I would try the Rip Ride Rocket coaster in US. (Haven't done it yet but it looks good) We also like The Mummy, Men in Black, and the Simpson's ride in US. At IoA, I would suggest the Hulk, Popey's Barges (If you want to get soaked), and the coaster in HP (used to be Dueling Dragons)
When we do US we are a lot more "go with the flow" then at Disney. Not having to plan meals so far in advance is the best difference for me between US and WDW.

coloradowendyl
09-05-2010, 03:09 PM
Universal and Disney are two totally different animals so to speak. Because they do not have the type of Dining plan offered by Disney, you do not see the demand for the restaurants. It is definitely much more of a "go with the flow" atmosphere.

Wendy

MIKESMOM
09-06-2010, 03:17 PM
IMHO The Amazing Adventures of Spider- Man is an attraction that shouldn't be missed.

LVT
09-08-2010, 10:55 PM
I have to 2nd the SPIDERMAN ride, it is great. The Forbidden journey may be better, time will tell. Enjoy.

joonyer
09-09-2010, 12:22 PM
Agree don't miss Spiderman. Revenge of The Mummy is also fantastic, not to be missed. You should have plenty of time to see most everything at both parks in two days, including the Wizarding World (only 3 attractions there). If you like coasters, I would also recommend Dragon Challenge (in WWoHP) Rip, Ride & Rock it, and Hulk. All are more intense than any Disney Coaster. Other attractions, Men In Black is a good dark ride (shoot at bad aliens) and Simpsons is an excellent 4-D simulated coaster. Shrek is also a good 4-D theater show. If you have young kids, they'd like Jimmy Neutron, ET and SeussLand.
Water rides: Popeye's Bilge Rat Barges are more fun the Kali River Rapids in my opinion, it is a log ride and everyone will get absolutely drenched, and there's no maybe about it, you have a 0% chance of staying dry. don't ride it unless you are willing to get soaked. If you are, then it's great fun. Dudley Do-Right's Ripsaw Falls (Log Flume) is fun but NOT as good as Splash mountain.

We visit them parks for the attractions, not for restaurants, so we usually just eat CS, so I can't give you much advice there. I can say every table service place we've tried at City Walk (Hard Rock Cafe, Margaritaville, Nascar cafe) has been crowded and ordinary at best. Have not been to Mythos, which is in IOA and has been highly rated in the past. If you like the Harry Potter thing, then I would say you should try the Three Broomsticks for the atmosphere and experience. But I would not expect gourmet food though.

NJGIRL
09-10-2010, 09:16 AM
We like Finnegans in the Studios & Pastamore in City Walk. We have always made reservations (just in case) but really haven't needed them. If you are going to the Hard Rock Cafe you will need them for sure.

Not to miss attractions: Spiderman, The Mummy, The Simpsons, MIB, ET (so cute), Poseidon's Fury ( I like it some don't), Shrek, Horror Make Up Show.

If you have kids the Curious George area is great. They will get soaked! It's not as babyish as it sounds. My son was 10 and still going into the area & I even saw teenagers in there (bring a change of cloths or have them wear their bathing suits). The jurassic park area is also great for kids (another wet experience). These two play areas beat out any of Disney's.

Bethanymouse
09-21-2010, 08:40 PM
We love Emeril's restaurant Tchoup Chop located at the Royal Pacific hotel. It was delicious.

As for rides- We loved The Mummy, Jaws, Spiderman, ET, Men in Black, Rip Ride Rocket, Dueling Dragons (now renamed in potter park) and Forbidden Journey.

Have fun!