PDA

View Full Version : October Advice

ddcrna
09-04-2010, 03:53 PM
So, we are lucky enough to go to WDW each fall and use our time share. We buy an annual pass every other year, and make it work for two trips. This year, we are going the first two weeks of November, so next year (2011) we need to go in October.

We want to pick two weeks that will avoid major events, so are wondering if someone can give us a heads up on what weeks are:

1. Pop Warner
2. Jersey Week
3. Any other major events that draw huge crowds

Thanks in advance! 62 days and counting for 2010!!

faline
09-04-2010, 04:30 PM
Pop Warner takes place in early December so no worries there. Jersey week is typically in early November. In fact, you should be there for Jersey week this year if you are going the first 2 weeksin November. The Food & Wine Festival is typically occurring during October as is Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party.

The only thing I can think of in October that may drive crowds up a bit is Columbus Day weekend.

Strmchsr
09-04-2010, 04:32 PM
Pop Warner is usually the week after the first weekend of December.

Jersey Week (I think) is usually the 2nd week in November, but someone else can confirm that.

As for other events - the Food & Wine Festival draws huge crowds, especially when all the locals come out on the weekends, but that is mostly related to Epcot. Same goes for the half-marathon run in October. The MNSSHP will draw big crowds to the Magic Kingdom, especially on the weekends.

Other than that, the biggest crowd issues in October come from school systems having fall breaks, but those happen all month long. October is no longer a "quiet" month like it used to be. But, then again, there really isn't a "quiet" month any longer so it doesn't do much good to worry about crowds. Just go and have a good time.

VWL Mom
09-04-2010, 04:49 PM
For 2010 Jersey week is the first week in November, for 2011 it is scheduled for the second week.

AgentP
09-04-2010, 05:10 PM
What is Jersey Week?

faline
09-04-2010, 05:20 PM
What is Jersey Week?

New Jersey Schools often shut down for several days in November. Folks who live there often use that time to squeeze in a vacation to Disney which has become known as "Jersey week".

MinnieMommie
09-04-2010, 05:56 PM
One other event in October is the half marathon (Inaugural Wine and Dine Disney Half Marathon). This year it was October 1-2. That along with the other events and free dining complicate the month. Columbus Day weekend is also a time I have traditionally avoided on my October trips. October is though a beautiful time to visit. :mickey:

BugeyedMuggy
09-05-2010, 04:03 PM
We love October and have gone many years in that month. F&WF and MNSSHP are our favorties. The only drawback is the Columbus weekend and the weekends of the F&WF. Just avoid Epcot countries on the weekends and if possible Columbus weekend and you should be all set. Enjoy!

Kairi_7378
09-06-2010, 10:05 AM
You will LOVE going in October. The only thing I'd worry about is Columbus Day weekend... crowds were horrendous the Friday before Columbus Day.

Dedivah
09-06-2010, 05:37 PM
OH WOW! We will be arriving the Saturday of Columbus Day weekend 2011.

ginger19
09-09-2010, 07:19 AM
OH WOW! We will be arriving the Saturday of Columbus Day weekend 2011.

It was incredibly busy this past Columbus day week. We arrived on the tuesday after thinking we'd be safe and the lines were outrageous.

Jeri Lynn
09-09-2010, 09:57 AM
I am going this October from the 16th - 22nd and I just found out that this is a typical week for some very big convention...can't remember what the convention is for, but I do remember other October trips where the Beach Club has hosted different conventions.