PDA

View Full Version : Yet Another "Should I?"

Scar
09-04-2010, 09:54 AM
Whenever I read one of those “should I go” threads I always think, “only you can make that decision.” Well now I’m at that point and while I know ultimately I will make the call, I’d still like to hear some feedback. I guess this is more me just letting it out.

Last May I went to WDW for 7 days (planned for 6 but missed my flight home.) I bought an AP with the expectation that I would make 3 trips in a year and then probably not go back for 2 or so. In June a got a 40% off pin and booked 6 nights at The Boardwalk for the last week in Oct. (love the F&W Festival.) I did this full well knowing 2 things. 1) My job was coming to an end, and 2) I’m getting divorced and will be buying my wife out of the house. I’m not too concerned about the house because we have way more equity in it than I will need, but getting a 2nd mortgage will still cost.

Well, job is now on an as needed basis. Last week my best friend (also unemployed) talked me into going fishing in Maine (cheap) for 2 weeks (leaving Labor Day,) and I am beginning to have second thoughts. Financially, I’m pretty certain it is doable, it will just be 2 grand or so more I’ll have to put on the 2nd mortgage. I want to go but just not sure it’s the prudent thing to do. What if I get a new job in Oct.? It will be hard to say “I’ll take the job but need to take a week off immediately.”

Anyway, thanks for reading.

BugeyedMuggy
09-04-2010, 11:12 AM
If you booked a room only trip you can get your money back so I would hold out until the end. I know Disney is a great place to be but I would not go into debt for any vacation. We always plan trips but if it came to the point we just didn't have the money I would not make payments on a charge after the trip. I'm so sorry everything seems to be going in the wrong direction for you right now but keep a positive attitude. My DD just started a new job and was up front about our Oct trip and it was no problem with her employer. Good luck and we will send good hopes your way along with alittle:magic:

BrerGnat
09-04-2010, 11:53 AM
Financially, I’m pretty certain it is doable, it will just be 2 grand or so more I’ll have to put on the 2nd mortgage. I want to go but just not sure it’s the prudent thing to do.

If I'm reading this correctly, you're suggesting funding your vacation (2k) with your mortgage? As in, borrowing 2k extra to use as the Disney trip payment? If that is the case, that is ridiculous. You'd be paying interest on that 2k for the next 30 years...that 2k will turn into about 10k. Is the Disney trip worth 10k?

Suze Orman would have a cow. :D

And, if you get a job offer, you take it! Job before vacation...always! You'll have to just accept that you'll need to reschedule your trip, and potentially not go again this year.

Hope your divorce goes smoothly and you find a job soon! Good luck on both fronts.

brownie
09-04-2010, 12:05 PM
Scar, it's never a good idea to mortgage your vacation. If that's what it will take, I'd put it off until things turn around.

Daisy'sMom
09-04-2010, 12:27 PM
I'd put it off for now. Disney will still be there when you are ready and your life returns to normal. Seems like you are going thru some big life changes right now.
Have fun in Maine, some of my family reside there and I love.:mickey:

Jillirose
09-04-2010, 12:29 PM
Scar, it's never a good idea to mortgage your vacation. If that's what it will take, I'd put it off until things turn around.

I agree. We have spent the last seven years working to get ourselves back in the black after making a lot of 'enjoy it now, put it on CCs and pay later' decisions. You would just be sadling yourself with more debt to deal with at a later time.

faline
09-04-2010, 02:41 PM
Only you can know if you can financially go in October. As far as getting a job, if you get an offer, you tell the employer you have already booked a trip for "x" date. Employers deal with this all the time and it's usually not a problem. If it is, it might be an indicator of an inflexible employer you might not want to work for.

Scar
09-04-2010, 03:01 PM
Thanks for the replys. One thing I didn't mention... I have no kids and probably won't ever, and I live very cheap. If this economy doesn't turn around, I (and eveyone else) will have a lot more to worry about than $2K.

If you booked a room only trip you can get your money back so I would hold out until the end.

I'm so sorry everything seems to be going in the wrong direction for you right now but keep a positive attitude.I did book room only with a $260 deposit refundable a week before, so I can "hold out to the end."

I definetly have a positive attitude. In fact I've been thinking about changing jobs for a long time, this economy just isn't the best time to do it.

brivers222
09-20-2010, 12:49 PM
Only you can know if you can financially go in October. As far as getting a job, if you get an offer, you tell the employer you have already booked a trip for "x" date. Employers deal with this all the time and it's usually not a problem. If it is, it might be an indicator of an inflexible employer you might not want to work for.
:thumbsup: This!

My fiancee got her job and was slated to start 3 days before we had a booked vacation in Tennessee for 2 weeks. She told her new employer that she had this booked and planned for 15months now and she would need to have that time off if she accepted. He was more than willing and she has found him to be very flexible and understanding over the last 2 years.

disney1026
09-21-2010, 02:43 PM
I would not mortgage your vacation. As much as I wish I could go to Disney every year, it is not always financially possible for me. I therefore use my Celebrations magazine to get me through the non-trip years.

With regard to getting a new job, I accepted a new job in August 2007 and informed them at that time that I had already planned a trip to Disneyland in October. I was allowed two weeks vacation, so they let me borrow against my vacation time without issue. I think being up front is the best way to go about it.