PDA

View Full Version : POR help me convince him.

JenniferS.
09-03-2010, 09:51 PM
I found an unbelievable price for our family of 6to stay at POR for 12 days in December w/ air/free dining/tickets. ($4,797.44). The hubby says no way...not staying at POR. Help me convince him otherwise. He says that POR share buses. Do they and if so with who? He said w/ a waterpark and POFQ. I can't believe this price.

Pastcastmemberdaughter
09-03-2010, 10:35 PM
Riverside can sometimes share a bus with French Quarter but the resort is pretty much one in the same. They sit right next to one another and the bus stops for each are not that far from one another. It may add another 5 or 10 minutes to the trip tops.

Most of the time however FQ and RS are given seperate buses to load, so it's not even an issue at that point. I don't think we had one time at the closing of a park where they didn't given seperate buses for each FQ and RS.

As for sharing a bus with a waterpark that is not true. Typoon Lagoon is partnered up with Disney's Marketplace/Pleasure Island, while Blizzard Beach is paired with Animal Kingdom.

The resort itself is very nice, we are staying there again this October. Hope this helps and good luck with the hubby!

azcavalier
09-03-2010, 10:51 PM
We've stayed at POR the last three years and I think that only once in all our days at POR (probably the equivalent of 30 days) have we ever boarded a bus that also stopped at POFQ.

It does NOT share a bus with any waterpark.

It has a boat for transportation to DTD, and it's just cool.

It has a great pool, and a great food court.

It's not a noisy resort.

It has the biggest arcade in WDW (if your kids are into that).

It has the piano player in the lobby area!

5MemphisTiggers
09-03-2010, 11:25 PM
Price the same trip for family of 6, 12 nights at the Poly. Tell him the Poly doesn't share buses with any, so his concern has been addressed. Then he can take his pick. :D

Seriously, DW and I have stayed at POR once and loved it. Buses are shared with POFQ, but it's no big thing. Waits are reasonable.

The grounds are GREAT. The boat to DTD is a lot of fun and very convenient.

DW and I had a great time and can't wait to get back.

Zippy 1
09-03-2010, 11:57 PM
We loved POR!! We never found that the wait for buses was to long. They were even very good to us the night my daughter got sick while waiting for the bus. Thye moved us to the front of the line and off we went. The boat ride to DTD is very nice and relaxing. We had great skippers both times we went to DTD. The told lots of stories and were very funny. The only thing that is a draw back can be the walk from Alligator Bayou. When you are tired it can feel like a thousand miles. We would not hesitate to go back!!!

PinKy
09-04-2010, 01:20 AM
We stayed here a couple of years ago and the buses were wonderful - the resort has a stop or two because it picks up at Port Orleans AND Riverside, but because its a relatively small resort - it went very quickly and I don't think we ever stood in any lines. Its really peaceful - there is a lot to do - boat rides, carriage rides, restaurant at the resort - gift shops. We had a wonderful stay and wouldn't hesitate to stay there again. We even loved the food court.

Fastpasssteve
09-04-2010, 02:19 AM
Another thought:

Please keep in mind that you will be there during a slow time of year. You got a great deal, so you won't be there between Christmas and New Year. In other words, there won't be as many people there at any resort at that time. So, the number of people on the buses will be lower altogether.

It is a lovely resort. I deeply enjoyed my week there.

It sounds like your husband is giving you a bunch of fake reasons for not staying there, when, in fact, there is a more basic, underlying reason he hasn't come out with. Good luck.

Tinker Fan
09-04-2010, 10:02 AM
We have stayed at POR and it is such a peaceful resort after a long day at WDW. We never waited long for buses at all and the food court and pool i really liked, I can't imagine not wanting to stay here!!!

GrmGrninGost
09-04-2010, 12:01 PM
We have stayed at all of the WDW moderate resorts. POR has been my very favorite. As for buses, the only time we had any kind of "problem" was when we stayed until a park closed. Then everyone was rushing for the bus. Of course, all the other resorts had the same problem. I cannot imagine you wouldn't be pleased if you stay there. :mickey:

AntMagsMom
09-04-2010, 01:00 PM
We stayed at POFQ in September of '08. We loved the resort itself, I do have to say though I definitely noticed a difference in the bus time from our last trip which was Feb '10 and we stayed at AKL. The buses, to me, seemed to run more frequently at AKL and that shared a bus with Kidani Village. I don't think we waited more than 10 minutes at AKL whereas when we were at POFQ it was at least 15 - 20 minutes every time we went out for the bus. I honestly only remember once stopping at POR though so I don't think that was a big deal. Honestly our only issue with the hotel is the sleeping arrangements otherwise we'd probably do a moderate again but we have a 13 yo DS and a 6 year old DD and with them and DH and I, two full beds don't cut it.

badkitty
09-04-2010, 01:18 PM
I was at POFQ and had to share a bus with Typhoon Lagoon and POR and on several occasions. One I remember was returning from DTD when the boats were shutdown due to high winds. It was a very long bus ride back. Maybe the sharing happened because of it being off season?

CaptSmee
09-04-2010, 03:42 PM
Don't expect me to help convince him...I hated POR. :(

lindique
09-04-2010, 08:20 PM
It's not the POR/POFQ bus that is shared with Blizzard Beach- it's the Animal Kingdom busses that stop there on their way to and from that park. It's not just from Port Orleans - I think this happens with all of the resort busses going to/from the Animal Kingdom.

BigRedDad
09-05-2010, 06:58 AM
Price the same trip for family of 6, 12 nights at the Poly. Tell him the Poly doesn't share buses with any, so his concern has been addressed. Then he can take his pick. :D

Polynesian does share buses (unless it has changed). Many times on buses from WL, we made the trip to GF, Poly, and FW.

mermaidmarian
09-05-2010, 07:37 AM
We love everything about POR and would never hesitate to go back. They sometimes share buses with POFQ. Not always. Why does this matter? It will add one additional stop at POFQ (which only has one stop) before arriving at POR. In all of my stays at POR (see signature) I don't remember that happening more than 5 times. Although it probably depends on the time of year that you travel and bus transportation staffing levels. Sometimes, although even less frequent in my experience, the bus will have stopped at POFQ before picking up at POR. It does not share a bus with a waterpark.

POR has an extensive array of amenities for guests at the resort. From the best resort food court offerings, several quiet pools in addition to the themed pool (and the themed pool at POFQ), relaxing theme, real fishing hole, boat rentals, Piano Bob!, there really is no reason to not love POR.

mermaidmarian
09-05-2010, 07:39 AM
It's not the POR/POFQ bus that is shared with Blizzard Beach- it's the Animal Kingdom busses that stop there on their way to and from that park. It's not just from Port Orleans - I think this happens with all of the resort busses going to/from the Animal Kingdom.

I believe you are right, Lindique. Same applies for the bus transportation from the resorts (all of them) to TL and DTD.

JenniferS.
09-05-2010, 12:34 PM
:thumbsup:Thanks for all the replies. They really helped.

LuvDaDuckMost
09-05-2010, 10:24 PM
YIKES! We just returned from POFQ today...we had to wait through TWO 20 minute sessions for the ferry to come from Old Key West to pick us up and take us to Down Town Disney. It was filled up by the time it got to us. The ferry heading to POR was not as crowded but it does share water transportation with French Quarter and if you want to go to Downtown Disney, you will share it with everyone. We decided to take the bus marked POFQ home from DTD and it first stopped at Typhoon Lagoon and then about five stops within Riverside before the final ONE stop at the French Quarter. Hope this info helps you. Next time I will just drive. It shouldn't take an hour or more to get around from point A to point B. That is ridiculous.

mermaidmarian
09-06-2010, 06:53 AM
There must have been some issues with the number of boats that they had available when you were there, because typically, OKW has its own, considerably smaller ferry boat and does not pick up guests at POFQ or POR. And, in my stays at POR, when loading guests at POR, the driver never fills the ferry to capacity because it is necessary to save room for guests being picked up at POFQ. Unless there has been a change to how that system has worked for the past 5 years or so, I would suggest that your experience is not typical.

Genie1953
09-07-2010, 01:04 AM
We have stayed at POR twice...September 05 and April 2010. We loved it. We never had to wait more than 5 minutes for a bus....yes we did share a bus AT TIMES....not everytime but still did not have to wait long for buses. The bus transportation to DTD was awesome....took it to DTD 4 times this last trip and only once had to wait for a second boat...because we arrived in line just as the boat was leaving. We never shared a bus with any of the water parks. Another up side to POR is that PO French Quarter is a mere 5 minute walk and you can use their pool if you prefer. We just love POR....the amenities are great.....bike/boat rentals, carriage rides, awesome pool....table service restaurant, great food court, arcade if you are into that, and of course as everyone else has mentioned....piano bob.....just a great all around resort to stay at! I sincerely hope you are able to convince your husband to take advantage of this great deal!

kwaller
09-07-2010, 10:37 AM
Thanks for all the info, we are staying here for the first time, we usually try to stay at Poly or Contemporary, no availability, which scares me about the crowds, but it could be b/c it's value season, my daughter is so excited about staying at POR, b/c she loved Princess and the Frog and is hoping it will have lots of stuff like that. Glad to know we can go to POFQ's pool , she loved the looks of it, if we have any time to swim. I was worried about the buses, after being used to the monorail, but sounds like it won't be too bad. Hoping to get a room in the Mansion section near the bus stop, 9 yr old child and grandparents will be tired after long days at the parks.:mickey:

darthmacho
09-07-2010, 04:55 PM
Just got back from POR two weeks ago, and we loved it. Keep in mind that when you are leaving MK or Epcot after the fireworks, POR and POFQ will have their own busses. It would be too crowded otherwise.

I agree with all of the above positive things that have been said about POR, from the restaurant and food court being good, to the decor and theming, to the great pool and access to FQ. I'd stay there again for sure. :mickey:

lindique
09-07-2010, 06:36 PM
Thanks for all the info, we are staying here for the first time, we usually try to stay at Poly or Contemporary, no availability, which scares me about the crowds, but it could be b/c it's value season, my daughter is so excited about staying at POR, b/c she loved Princess and the Frog and is hoping it will have lots of stuff like that. Glad to know we can go to POFQ's pool , she loved the looks of it, if we have any time to swim. I was worried about the buses, after being used to the monorail, but sounds like it won't be too bad. Hoping to get a room in the Mansion section near the bus stop, 9 yr old child and grandparents will be tired after long days at the parks.:mickey:
Be sure to see Piano Bob, who plays a few nights a week in the lounge at POR. It's a great show for all ages - he'll have you laughing and singing all night long!

Genie1953
09-08-2010, 03:39 AM
If you decide to stay there and are staying in the Mansion section the Oak Manor building is a pretty good location. It is just a short walk across a bridge...no more than 5 minute walk. We have stayed in that building both times we have been there. Try to get a corner room if possible.....they have 2 windows. When we were there in April celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary we requested a corner room and they were very sweet.....they made sure we had a corner room at the front of the building so we were overlooking the river. We had a clear view of the marina and main building across the river. Was just a beautiful view. On our next trip we are going to request an Alligator Bayou room in a building close to the main building and of course we are going to try to get a corner room there as well. We had a chance to see one of those rooms on our last day there in April and fell in love with those as well. No matter which area you end up in I don't think you will regret it.

azcavalier
09-08-2010, 09:39 AM

POR does not really have any theming regarding The Princess and The Frog. If any resort were to feature this, it would be POFQ.

Disney Doll
09-08-2010, 10:27 AM
We stayed at POR and had no complaints. Bus service was just fine. POR & POFQ are both so small that it's really no more stops than you would have at some of the bigger resorts. In fact weren't POR & POFQ one resort back when it was called Dixie Landings?

We didn't have a long wait for the boat to Downtown Disney either. IMO the boat is great for the experience...very relaxing and beautiful views, but as a means of transportation it isn't very efficient. I think buses would be faster.

garymacd
09-08-2010, 02:46 PM
We are leaving for POR in...oooh...24 days!

OMG I better start thinking about maybe looking for the suitcases and perhaps considering packing...in about 21 days!

We have stayed there before and enjoyed it. It is very quaint, and, while it does share some buses with POFQ, tell hubby to consider this:

Combined, POFQ and POR only have five bus stops.

CBR has seven! And no matter where you stay, at least as far as our luck went, you will always be staying near the last stop.

You tell me which buses will be busier.

At POR, you can get off at the main building and take a short cut along the walkways and get to your room almost before the bus gets there.

No where else is there a large working waterwheel.

POR and POFQ are the only places you can get beignets!

Besides, it's Disney! That has to be reason enough.

garymacd
09-08-2010, 02:50 PM
In fact weren't POR & POFQ one resort back when it was called Dixie Landings?

POR was called Dixie Landings.

POFQ was called Port Orleans.

That was before 2001. Even at that time they shared buses, and guests could use the amenities at either resort.

brownie
09-09-2010, 01:01 PM
Just tell him he can always walk if he doesn't want to share the bus. ;)

crltkcagle
09-09-2010, 08:23 PM
Love POR! Tell him you could always stay at an All Star hotel and they share buses with all three resorts! (music, movies, sports) So it could be worse!

AndrewJackson
09-09-2010, 09:28 PM
They allow beer in their refillable mugs! :beer:

(Not really, but it would probably help convince him.)

We love POR. It is my favorite resort (other than FW). I feel it is the best moderate, as well as the best bang for the buck. We have never had a problem with transportation at POR.

Genie1953
09-09-2010, 10:09 PM
POR and POFQ are the only places you can get beignets!

Actually the beignets are only available at Port Orleans French Quarter....unless it has changed since April. We went over to French Quarter 2 or 3 times to use our snack credits for Beignets! Would be nice if they started serving them at Riverside too.

disneymom2000
09-13-2010, 10:08 PM
Nothing wrong with POR in my opinion. When I decided to try out a moderate, I chose to stay in Magnolia Terrace at POR. I was not sorry. This convinced me that the moderates are just as beautiful and convenient as the deluxes. I never had to wait long for a bus and I was so close to a bus stop at my room I could see one coming and get out to the stop before it left. It is definitely somewhere I would stay again.

Tinkerbella16
09-14-2010, 03:20 PM
Wow tell your hubby to try it there before he says no. I have stayed at both POR & POFQ back to back years, in November 07 & 08 and we never had to share busses with the other resort. We were there both times during a verrry slow week in November too and they still didnt stop the the other resort. I can't tell you that they definately won't because you never know. But both resorts are really great for the money. I do prefer POFQ over POR though for reasons like the difference in size...you are always close to everything no matter where your room is at FQ. POR is very spacious and beautiful. Both have the boat to DTD which is my favorite perk of the resort. POFQ was so quiet and we felt like we were the only ones there even in the morning when we'd go to the foodcourt for breakfast, there was no rush or anything. It was truly a relaxing vacation when we stayed at POFQ. There is much more to do at POR though, like horse drawn carriage rides, Boatwrights sit-down restaurant, the giftshop is bigger and nicer lol, bike/boat rentals at the Marina. You will love it! :mickey:

garymacd
09-15-2010, 10:56 PM
Actually the beignets are only available at Port Orleans French Quarter....unless it has changed since April. We went over to French Quarter 2 or 3 times to use our snack credits for Beignets! Would be nice if they started serving them at Riverside too.

Oh no! Now I will have to make that LOOONG walk over to POFQ to keep the family happy when we get there, in----16 DAYS!

Such hardships I face for the family.:blush:

disneymom2000
09-20-2010, 10:06 PM
Is he convinced yet???

thejens
09-23-2010, 11:04 PM
I am kind of a deluxe resort snob and we stayed at POFQ last time and loved it. We checked out POR and I think I prefer that resort and pool. I am thinking maybe next time we will do POR. It is easy to walk or take the boat back and forth between the two resorts and enjoy the different pools and food courts. Very nice. I love the deluxe resorts, but I am amazed at how very nice the POFQ and POR are! We generally drive, but when we did use the busses we found them to be no problem.

Gator
09-24-2010, 04:58 PM
I can't help you here. POR is the one Moderate I'll never go back to. I loved CBR and really loved Coronado. Even POFQ looks better than Riverside, though I've never been. There was bus sharing back in 2002, but I can't speak to today. I thought POR would be so great, hoping that it would remind me of my Southern roots - it did, but all in a bad way. Go to anothe Mod and see if he'll go for it.