PDA

View Full Version : teppan Edo with kids???

thesplashmountaineer
09-03-2010, 06:25 PM
Is teppan Edo great for kids (11,9 and3) ???

Only my 11 years old daughter is a picky eater...

If I understand correctly, the tables are for 8 people so we'll be seated with other people? how is it to be seated with strangers? we are a party of 5 and i'm the only one who speaks English...

Disney5+2
09-03-2010, 07:24 PM
We just ate there last week and my grownup kids loved it! I think your kids will as well. The food is not spicy or strong tasting. Some of our group didn't want mushrooms so the chef set aside some of the vegetables and didn't add the mushrooms. The portions were generous. If they are meat eaters I think they'll like it. The chefs put on a great show as they prepare your meal. Lots of fun for all. I wouldn't worry about sharing a table. You're not forced to interact with the other guests. The chef kind of leads the way with the socializing. Hope you enjoy it.

Strmchsr
09-03-2010, 07:25 PM
My oldest son loved Teppan Edo when we ate there at ages 9 & 7 with him. He really gets into it, but he, DW, and I are all avid martial artists and enjoy Japanese culture, so that might have some impact on it.. My youngest (who was 2 & 4 at the times) really couldn't care less. He found it mildly interesting, but wasn't too in to it.

As for sitting with strangers, I've never found it too big of a deal. Most of the time people sort of interact, but mostly keep to their own party. Sometimes you'll get someone who is real talkative and outgoing, but I think most people will follow your lead. If you seem open, folks will talk with you. If you keep to yourself, they tend to as well. Plus, with a party of 5 you may or may not be seated with others.

SBETigg
09-03-2010, 07:39 PM
I agree with Chris. As a party of five, you may or may not be seated with others. And if you are, it's really fine. You don't have to be social. You could keep to yourselves and interact just with the chef, not interact, get along with the other party. It works out. The focus is on the chef and his actions. Any food issues, they will work out. The flavors are not very strong and mostly pleasant (ginger and soy are probably the main tastes in the seasonings). It's fun. But if you're hesitant, you could always visit Tokyo Dining instead, where you can order some of the same food without having it cooked at your table for you. No show, but good food.

Melanie
09-03-2010, 08:11 PM
We were a party of 5 in early August and got seated with a mom and her two daughters. Thing is, the seating configuration makes it so that talking with your own party is a little difficult, so I wouldn't worry about being with strangers. It's always worked out for us.

My boys are 12 and 10 and love eating at Teppan Edo. The first time they ate there they were 6 and 7. I will say that we lived in Japan though, so they are used to the food. If your daughter likes beef or chicken, she should be good.

AgentP
09-03-2010, 08:37 PM
This is a great restaurant for kids! The chef keeps them entertained for you while they are waiting for your food. We took our kids, ages 1 and 3 and it was one of our easiest meals because the kids were so interested in watching everything. Have fun!

Georgesgirl1
09-03-2010, 08:59 PM
My brother and I were probably 9 and 7 the first time when went to Teppan Edo (or whatever it was called back then), and we loved it! We have taken DS who is 20 months to two different places like Teppan Edo near our house and he is fascinated with them cooking in front of us. He also loves the food. The flavors are very mild and I think all but the pickiest eaters could find plenty to eat there.

DH and I actually enjoy sitting with other people at Teppan Edo and Biergarten. We have met some very interesting families!

JerseyDad
09-04-2010, 01:05 AM
......I'm sure it''ll be fine for you and your family. We've been eating there at least once for every trip to WDW since 2004 (it was formerly called Teppanyaki). And since I'm at POP right now.....and tomorrow will be the last night of our 7 day stay.....dinner is at Teppan Edo....and it will be a great time / and meal...as usual.

MagicalGuest
09-04-2010, 11:48 AM
We've had several dinners at Teppan Edo with our boys, who are now 10 and 6. They love it! The staff is really nice to kids (our waitress made them chopsticks designed for kid use). Kids also have to site on the outside wing of the table, furthest from the hot grill, so you don't have to worry about them not speaking English. And as everyone says, the chef is the centerpiece of the dinner, so you don't really have to interact much with others unless you want to. Have a great dinner and a great trip!

ncrohrs
09-04-2010, 02:11 PM
I am so happy you made this post! Wondering the same thing for our Feb '11 trip with our 4 kids ages 2.5, 5, 7, and 9. All are, for the most part, picky eaters. (They really don't even do plain rice or even noodles!)

I have been very kid friendly with all our ADR's so far, sticking to the buffets with characters, and those that offer the standard kid fare.

However I have a feeling that since they will be entertained and see the food cooking, they might be more likely to try it! Plus if they are hungry enough, they'll eat. At least a little something!

We'll see, maybe we'll give this a try!;)

faline
09-04-2010, 03:00 PM
We've sat with folks who interacted with us quite a lot and, at other times, have been seated with families who seem uninterested in having any conversation with their tablemates. You never know.

On our last trip, we truly had a multi-lingual table. I think my husband and I were the only two at the table who spoke only English! Our table mates included a lovely couple from Quebec who could speak English very well (though they seemed to think they could not) and who usually spoke French as well as a family who had members born in Spain. Everyone was friendly and we enjoyed the meal greatly!