PDA

View Full Version : Which Savanna View ????

Disneymom201
09-03-2010, 06:10 PM
We will be arriving at Animal Kingdom Lodge in 33 days :number1:. We have never stayed at AKL before and actually have never stepped foot on this property. We will be staying in a Savanna View Room & I wanted to know if I should put in for a special request for a particular Savanna? I will be traveling with my DH and DS's 10 & 7. Any input or advice would greatly be appreciated!

32 Days til the BIG SUPRISE :secret:

2005 - 2007 Off Property
2008 Grand Floridian
2009 Wilderness Lodge

jillluvsdisney
09-03-2010, 07:20 PM
Just got back 2 weeks ago from AKL. Fabulous place. I hope you love it as much as I did. I saved my resort map and just grabbed it to give you the correct info.

The animal move around so I don't think any particular room is a better view than another.

If I had to pick, I would try for a Zebra Trail room looking at the Arusha Savanna. Rooms that are in the 24,34,44,54. Rooms that start with 25,35,45,55 will double your walk to everything. There are some room on the first floor of the Zebra Trail that look out at the Uzima Savannah. Those start with 14. I just point out these 3 buildings because they are on the east side of the resort and closest to The Mara, Boma, Jiko, the pools and hotubs, the playground and fitness center and the Zawadi Market Place and the Uzima Springs Savannah that lets you look thru night vision goggles.

The flip side of this would be The Kudu Trail. That's on the west side of the resort.
Rooms starting with 22,32,42,52. These rooms also look at Arusha Savannah or Sunset Savannah. Rooms 23,33,43,53 would, again, double your walk.

Ostrich Trail rooms are only in 2 building west of the lobby. They look at The Sunset Savannah. This is the smallest savannah. Room # would start with 31,41,51.

I listed each location based on my preference.

BigRedDad
09-04-2010, 06:40 AM
The animal move around so I don't think any particular room is a better view than another.

This is not exactly true. The animals do move around, but certain areas are much worse than others. We had a DVC room that looked back towards Sunset Savannah. I would have rather had a view of a dumpster. There was only one animal and an ostrich. If we were not in our room the 10 minutes other animals came around, we wouldn't see any.

If you ave a choice, you definitely want a room that faces out towards Arusha Rock. Anything else, IMHO, is wasted money. Our standard view for part of the trip was 100x better than our Savanna view.

snowflakegirl
09-04-2010, 06:23 PM
I just returned from a stay in August. We stayed on the Kudu trail overlooking the Sunset Savannah. We had great luck. There were certainly times when we were on our balcony and only saw a few things or nothing but vague shapes in the distance. But I could say the same for times when I'd walked out to the Arusha Overlook...More frequently than nothing, we saw elands, ostrich, zebras, tons of Ankole cattle (who frequently napped outside our room), vultures (who seemed to roost near our room), and giraffe! Our first night we happened to step out on the balcony just in time to have a glass of wine with 6 giraffes who were less than 100 feet from our room. We also had breakfast with them a couple mornings.

Both my boyfriend and I were quite happy with our room and our stay at the Animal Kingdom Lodge.

jillluvsdisney
09-05-2010, 05:40 PM
We saw 3 giraffs 30 feet from us in the Sunset Savannah. I guess it's about being in the right place at the right time.