PDA

View Full Version : confused about which to choose????

aurora, ariel, and bell
09-03-2010, 08:00 AM
I have to make one final reservation.
Here is what we are thinking about
Les Chefs de France
Kouzzina
Whispering Canyon
Captains Grill

We have never been at any. Want to make sure that they are one credit on the dining plan, we are not too adventurous eaters.

Please help us decide.

cajundisneyfreak
09-03-2010, 08:19 AM
I love Whispering Canyon.The food is great and the atmospere is fun.It is a must do every trip.You should give it a try !! :mickey:

Briansmom
09-03-2010, 09:35 AM
I can only speak to one of those as having experience with it.....we LOVE Whispering Canyon and have done it our last two trips and are returning in just three weeks!

We are also going to try Captain's Grille this trip as well and I am looking forward to that since I've seen good reviews on Intercot and it will be a new adventure for us as well since we've never been to that area of the World.

Good luck in your decision! :mickey:

SBETigg
09-03-2010, 09:39 AM
Les Chefs de France
Kouzzina
Whispering Canyon
Captains Grill

Not too adventurous? I love Kouzzina, but I think if you're a meat and potatoes type (or one who sticks to basics) there are some exciting flavors, ingredients, and presentations that might not be for you. It's a little more foodie, perhaps. Great food and service, though, if you're up for it.

The other three are more basic, safe with choices. Not too fancy with ingredients. Chefs de France would be my pick, a little more elegant (but comfortable) and not too crazy with the flavors/ingredients. Captains Grille is also a very good choice. Whispering Canyon would be the one to pick if you're looking for a fun meal, more active and loud, with barbecue/homestyle type food.

aurora, ariel, and bell
09-03-2010, 09:39 AM
We are travelling without children and are over 50. Not sure if Whispering Canyon will be too "loud" for us???

EyeLuvDisney
09-03-2010, 11:30 AM
I can tell you that our family loves Les Chefs de France. This is one of our personal favorites. I was really surprised on our last visit as our daughter was considered an adult (at 10) and ordered from the adult dinner. Thinking she would order the standard kid choices, she chose duck. She loved it.

I can't speak to the others, Lord willing we will be there in January and try Whispering Canyon. I have heard great things about this for families. As a special treat, we were told to ask for the ketchup. Not sure what happens but it should be fun.

BrerGnat
09-03-2010, 11:37 AM
I'd choose either Captain's Grill or Les Chefs de France. Captain's Grill isn't really anything special, but it's a nice restaurant with good food. I'd pick that one if you want to PLAN to hang out a bit in the Crescent Lake Resort area. I'd not make a special trip over to the YC just for CG.

Les Chefs would just be easier to plan around, since it's in a park.

Whispering Canyon is good and all, but we only eat there when we're actually staying at WL. Otherwise, I also don't think it's worth a special trip over there JUST for the restaurant.

tinkerbelle75
09-03-2010, 12:19 PM
Whispering Canyon is one of our must-do's every trip. Love the food and the atmosphere...Roberto is one of the "funnest" people in WDW! If he is there, ask for him!:mickey:

darthmacho
09-03-2010, 01:21 PM
I love Whispering Canyon.The food is great and the atmospere is fun.It is a must do every trip.You should give it a try !! :mickey:

Ditto! How can you beat all you can eat bbq? Last week, I ate so many ribs there, it could only be described as ridiculous!
Also, any excuse to visit the Wilderness Lodge is worth it. I have to get that in every trip. :mickey:

disneymom2000
09-03-2010, 04:02 PM
They are all only 1 TS. I have read the menu at Kouzzina's and you really have to step out of your boundaries to try this restaurant. I have eaten at Chef's de France and it was wonderful. The food was extremely tasty and the atmosphere was elegant. Captain's Grille is really good food and the atmosphere is very laid back and quiet. I think you are right about Whispering Canyon. The food is good but it is more of a family restaurant so it might be more loud than you want.

mainemajor
09-12-2010, 09:22 AM
We are travelling without children and are over 50. Not sure if Whispering Canyon will be too "loud" for us???

DW and I were 49 when we first ate at WC and we loved it. We visited with dining neighbors and joked with the wait staff - not just ours but several as they seemed to enjoy their jobs. We would go back in a heartbeat. Oh yea, the food and milkshakes were great

Jared
09-12-2010, 09:30 AM
Les Chefs de France
Kouzzina
Whispering Canyon
Captains Grill

Not too adventurous? I love Kouzzina, but I think if you're a meat and potatoes type (or one who sticks to basics) there are some exciting flavors, ingredients, and presentations that might not be for you. It's a little more foodie, perhaps. Great food and service, though, if you're up for it.

The other three are more basic, safe with choices. Not too fancy with ingredients. Chefs de France would be my pick, a little more elegant (but comfortable) and not too crazy with the flavors/ingredients. Captains Grille is also a very good choice. Whispering Canyon would be the one to pick if you're looking for a fun meal, more active and loud, with barbecue/homestyle type food.
As always, I agree with virtually of word of Sherri's post. I haven't been to this board in months, but I see certain things never change. ;)

I prefer Kouzzina over all the other places you mentioned, but I consider myself a somewhat adventurous eater. The flavors there are distinctly Mediterranean, so that may scare you away.

If so, I suggest trying Les Chefs de France. The food often doesn't match the atmosphere, but you will almost definitely enjoy a nice, if not spectacular, meal. The restaurant makes French cuisine palatable for the average American.

Captain's Grille is probably the most basic of the restaurants you listed. I consider it a standard hotel restaurant, similar to the places you would find at a Marriott or Hyatt across the country. The food is solid, but everything about the place screams of unoriginality. It's perfect for that inevitable night when you come back from the parks too tired to leave your resort for dinner.

As for Whispering Canyon, I may sound like a drag, but it's too loud and wild for my taste. I wouldn't go without kids. I'm sure plenty of people around here will disagree with that assessment.

2MuchWDFun
09-12-2010, 07:32 PM
Kouzzina would be our number one choice--great selection. Previous posters have given you some great descriptions. We ate there last December and will be going again this year. I don't think you'll find it that adventurous unless you only like steak and potatoes.

Second choice would be Yak and Yeti at AK...
I know it wasn't on your list, but they have yummy choices-great appetizers and entrees. I love the duck, hubby loves the skirt steak. For desset you have got to try the pineapple, creamcheese filled fried won-ton, drizzled with honey and served with vanilla ice cream...so delicious. Ask to be seated on the second floor.

If that is not an option-our second choice would be Le Chefs de France. Decent food, nice atmosphere.

Whispering Cafe was okay...we just weren't into the atmosphere.

I'm sure you'll enjoy a great meal--no matter which restaurant you choose,

HoosierDisneyFan
09-12-2010, 08:15 PM
Of the 4 you have listed, I have only eaten at Whispering Canyon. If you were going to pick this resturant, I would ask for the back room, which will be quieter location.

That said, I probably would not recommend this resturant if you do not have kids.

Interesting group of 4 resturants... None are close to each other... what are you doing during the day?

BellesRose
09-12-2010, 11:19 PM
I do Whispering Canyon every trip...I love it! I notice that each time I go, it's been less loud than the time before. Ask for a waiter that isn't so animated. We got one the other day who was very quiet but extremely nice and checked on us every 10 minutes or so. Believe me, I do not like the loud and obnoxious waiters. I won't eat at the 50's diner in Hollywood Studios. But Whispering Canyon is SO good!

I went to Captains Grille this morning and ended up leaving...didn't sound good to me, and didn't like the atmosphere.

I haven't been to the other 2 places because like you, I am not an adventurous eater.

WDWCrazyKaren
09-13-2010, 09:23 AM
We love the food at Whispering Canyon, but when we don't have kids with us, we don't go there. It's great for kids and teens, but unless you don't mind the chaos of the place, I'd go somewhere else. DH and I are also not adventurous eaters, so we stay away from Kouzzina just for that reason! I'd love Chefs de France right now!

Goes4FastPass
09-13-2010, 02:55 PM
Whispering Canyon has a seating area apart from the main dining room - it's the area farthest from the hostess desk. You can request to sit there if your goal is BBQ-yes, Stickhorse race-No.

BellesRose
09-13-2010, 07:47 PM
I think it also depends on the time you go...because Whispering Canyon has been extremely quiet and peaceful the last couple of times I went. I was just there a few days ago for lunch and the place was empty.

Tinkerbella16
09-14-2010, 12:58 PM
We also thought Whispering Canyon was going to be really loud for us since it was 3 adults in our party, no kids. But luckily they sat us away from the main dining area and it was VERY quiet and nice. I will ask for a table on that side everytime now. We love it there, the servers are funny and great and the food is always wonderful! :mickey: