PDA

View Full Version : Specific pregnancy questions re: rides

jenperich
09-02-2010, 06:02 AM
I was curious if anyone knew how Toy Story Mania and Soarin are during pregnancy. I'm also wondering how rides like Spaceship Earth(due to laying back for so long) are? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

ANG
09-02-2010, 07:47 AM
I'll be pregnant on our trip this year. I've been on TSM many times, and it has some slight turns but I don't see why pregnancy should stop that one. I don't have advice on the others.

Madame Leona
09-02-2010, 08:01 AM
I know that Soarin' is not recommended when you are pregnant. I remember riding Spaceship Earth with no problems while pregnant. I'm not sure about TSM since it wasn't open yet when I had to heed the pregnancy warnings.

sillydisneymommy
09-02-2010, 09:50 AM
I have ridden these rides through 2 different pregnancies (once with twins, though I didn't know that yet). TSM is pretty herky jerky, and contributed to my nausea, but that's about all. IF your pregnancy is high risk at all or if you have bad morning sickness, I would personally skip it.
Spaceship Earth is a wonderful, relaxing break for a preggo at Disney. You are not even close to reclining enough to put pressure on the vagal nerve. :cloud9:
I was pregnant with one the first time I ever rode Soarin', and I didn't know what to expect. So I asked the cast member at the entrance if it was safe for pregnancy, and he giggled at me and assured me that it is fine. :blush:And it was, and it was very relaxing as well! I suppose you could get motion sick from it, but there is no expectant mother warning that I can find related to Soarin.
Take good care of yourself, don't ride anything with a warning, and have a wonderful time!:thumbsup:

Jeri
09-02-2010, 10:05 AM
I will be 5 months when we go in October, and so far my Dr. has said there isn't too much I can't ride except of course the roller coasters and Mission Space, TOT.
But my question would be what does Disney do if you want to ride something that has a warning for expectant mom's. Like the Safari? She says I can ride it but will Disney refuse to let me?

Gator
09-02-2010, 12:13 PM
My wife was 5 months along when we rode the Safari at AK. We rode it about 3 times that trip. It's real bumpy, so I wouldn't ride it if you were 7-9 months. Otherwise, stay off the big coasters. And I'm pretty sure Toy Story Mania whips too hard - almost like a rolloer coasters. If you really want to ride it, just by a Wii and the game.

BrerGnat
09-02-2010, 02:33 PM
TSM is okay. So is Soarin (that one doesn't have a pregnancy restriction, as far as I know).

My sister is about 20 weeks pregnant and we've been to Disneyland with her recently and she rode both these rides.

The only rides she can't do are spinning ones (like teacups) because anything that spins a lot makes her REALLY nauseous, which never happened pre pregnancy.

Depending on how far along you will be, the Safari might be uncomfortable (I'd still go on it up to about 25 weeks or so).

For all others, heed the warning signs.

thatkindofday
09-04-2010, 06:15 PM
First of all, you should ask your doctor because every pregnancy is different. Second of all, the employees will NOT say anthing about you getting on if you're pregnant. That being said, I was almost 6 months pregnant when we went last year and I rode everything except space mountain (it was closed), the orange version of mission space (always makes me a little queasy anyways, plus I'm scared ofr my husband to ride it because he gets motion sickness) and expedition everest (I made the mistake of riding Dinosaur first and it made me nauseous.) I had a very easy pregnancy though (no morning sickness, nauseousness, swelling or anything) and my doctor said to ride what I felt comfortable riding. I did limit myself to one 'thrill' ride per day to let my body rest between them. About the specific rides you mentioned, spaceship earth is very relaxing and soaring was such a relaxing ride that we rode 7 times in a row and would've ridden more, but the looooooong walk to and from the ride made me have to go to the bathroom between every time we rode it. The best advice I can give you by far is to rent a wheelchair. If I'd had to walk, I don't think I'd have had as great of a time.

AgentP
09-05-2010, 07:25 AM
Hello,
I agree that Spaceship Earth should be okay while pregnant. It will be a nice break to sit back and relax :D I haven't gone on Toy Story Mania or Soarin, but I wouldn't go on any roller coasters if I was pregnant.

Jimminy
09-05-2010, 04:31 PM
Toy Story Mania isvery herky jerky- you might not make out too well.

diz_girl
09-07-2010, 05:04 PM
I rode Soarin' when pregnant (5 months) and was fine. It is a very gentle ride. I think that the problem with that ride and pregnant women is if the ride were to shut down while in mid-air and they would have to exit the ride then. Some women late in their pregnancy will have a tough time doing the Soarin' emergency exit because of the change in their center of gravity while pregnant. Women in their first or second trimester should be fine.

Never rode TSM and can't comment on that one.

Disney Doll
09-08-2010, 09:59 AM
I rode Toy Story Mania and Spaceship earth at 24 weeks on our last trip and it was perfectly fine. I didn't ride Soarin not because of the pregnancy, but because our older son wasn't tall enough to ride and we don't bother with baby swap. Having experienced Soarin many times I wouldn't hesitate to ride pregnant, but everyone has to make their own decision about that.

The only thing I can see is that people prone to motion sickness may have a tough time with Soarin or Toy Story Mania and if you were also nauseous from pregnancy it might be doubly bad.

jenperich
09-08-2010, 11:28 AM
Thank you everyone for your information! I have been on these three rides, and didn't think I'd have a problem with any of them, however I was hoping people would have first hand information...which you did! Thank you very much!!

Jiminy - thank you especially for all the info on the bathrooms! ;-)