PDA

View Full Version : To go or not to go

MagicalGuest
09-01-2010, 10:01 AM
My family and I love Disney...we just got back from our 2nd consecutive August vacation there. DH and I are debating, though, on whether to go again next August. Free dining is certainly a plus. But next year we'd have to bump up to a moderate to get the free DDP and the past two years we've gotten it at a value. So the increased cost is certainly a factor.

If we don't go to Disney, we'll head back to the Jersey Shore (no, not near Snookie & Co!) Our boys are 10 & 6; does the Disney "magic" eventually wear off for kids after a few consecutive years? Any thoughts?

dnickels
09-01-2010, 10:28 AM
There are pros and cons to each way.

One benefit I think to taking a break of a year or two or three or whatever between visits, is the whole 'separation makes the heart grow fonder' thing. From reading Intercot over the years I notice that most of the complaint threads come from the regular visitors who visit every year or multiple times per year. The people who only go every 3-5 years seem to come back with glowing reviews.

Of course there's a lot that goes into those opinions, maybe those who go every year notice the declines in service / quality while those who haven't been in five years forget their breakfast was cold one morning so they just don't notice it. Maybe those who go every year are subconsciously getting a little bit bored and so they notice the negative more often (of course no one would ever admit that :secret: )

Good luck whatever you decide, if it's too much of a financial pinch Disney will always be there a year later.

forever a child
09-01-2010, 10:29 AM
My DD went 3 years straight at ages 9, 10 and then again at 11. She did get burned out and really didn't not want to go back at age 12:confused:
We didn't get to return until she was 15 this spring and we had a ball! The break was good and now she loves WDW and wants to go back again really soon. But I think the break was needed for her to appreciate the return. So I guess it really depends on what your boys are telling you they think about returning. :mickey:

PopPhan
09-01-2010, 10:53 AM
My family and I love Disney...we just got back from our 2nd consecutive August vacation there. DH and I are debating, though, on whether to go again next August. Free dining is certainly a plus. But next year we'd have to bump up to a moderate to get the free DDP and the past two years we've gotten it at a value. So the increased cost is certainly a factor.

If we don't go to Disney, we'll head back to the Jersey Shore (no, not near Snookie & Co!) Our boys are 10 & 6; does the Disney "magic" eventually wear off for kids after a few consecutive years? Any thoughts?

You could still go Value, but upgrade to the Standard DDP. You would only have to pay the difference in cost between QS DDP and Std. DDP (I believe $10 per person per night) Could be a savings over going up to a Moderate resort.

princessgirls
09-01-2010, 11:14 AM
I hear you!!! I try to mix it up, so that Disney is still a magical place...not to mention, with airfare it is a more expensive vacation. Sometimes throwing everything in the Suburban and taking off for the beach for the week is really nice too.
Julie:mickey:

btharvey
09-01-2010, 11:26 AM
We tend to go every two years or thereabouts ... we didn't go this year but will next.

We've always stayed at a moderate or at Fort Wilderness (which I consider a moderate). I've never tried a value, if only because we really need two queens not two doubles (Coronado Springs has queens, owing to the convention traffic).

If we lived in Florida, I think we'd be getting an Annual Pass, but since it's a 900 mile trip each way for us, the effort turns into a 7-9 day excursion ... with lots of intense Disney in between.

In other words, "It all depends ...."

Momto3littlemice
09-01-2010, 11:33 AM
We have starting going every other year and that seems to work for us. Although when we leave each time I wish we were coming back in a week...

For me, I can remember/scrapbook/make our DVD etc the last trip for a couple months and then plan the next one for a couple months (okay... a year:secret:) so it works nicely. If we had the money I would probably go every year but this way the magic is very much alive for us!:mickey:

I'd say -- wait a year. You can try something else (there is alot more out there ... not Disney, but still fun!) and then in two years you will be ready to head back and will have missed it.

AllDisney
09-01-2010, 04:06 PM
When our daughter was younger we averaged every 4 years or so. We missed WDW but had wonderful vacations other places. It was always fun to return & see the updates/changes when we did not get to go back for a few years.

You'll make the right choice when the time comes:thumbsup:

tinksmom02
09-01-2010, 10:00 PM

Ugh. As someone who lives near where Snooki and Co have decided to set up shop, I say head back to WDW!:blush:

But I hear you about the "magic," DD (then 7) was kind of underwhelmed on our last trip to the world (her 5th). She was into the rides and shows, but not characters. We swore we were Disney-ed out for a while.

You could take a year off from WDW...maybe next summer the JS mayhem will be a distant memory :fingers: (although I know you said that's not the part of NJ you were headed to...I just really want JS to go away!)

mama2haven
09-02-2010, 05:40 PM
we upgraded our dining plan while staying at the value next year so that is an option. we like to switch it up every other year by having one big vacation then go to the shore on the other year(not near snookie either lol). she actually lives close by to me:sick:

SBETigg
09-02-2010, 05:56 PM
My kids prefer Disney every other year, mixed up with other vacations. If we went every year, I'm pretty sure we would have started hearing complaints and they would be tired of it. I wouldn't be, and maybe not my daughter, but my son and my husband would probably no longer be fans. I think taking a break every few years at least from constant WDW is probably a good thing for your family. But maybe not, there are people who do it every year and everyone in the family is still happy with it. It all depends on your family.

wildernesslady
09-02-2010, 07:34 PM
Depending on when you plan on the shore, we have found it could cost as much as
Disney. I would probably stay at a value and try the QSDP. Some of those counter service meals are huge.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
09-03-2010, 10:44 PM
How about a Disney cruise instead?

MagicalGuest
09-04-2010, 11:56 AM
Thanks so much for your input, everyone! We've decided to put off Disney for a year and go back to the Jersey shore to help preserve the magic for our kids. The suggestions to upgrade CS to TS dining were tempting, tho! We will miss Disney, but it will be that much more special when we return in two years.

To my Jersey neighbors — I, too, wish JS would go away. Even tho we vacation much further south (Cape May), it gives our entire beautiful shoreline such a bad reputation!

brownie
09-04-2010, 12:03 PM
It can be good to change it up, but given a choice I'd keep going back to Walt Disney World!