PDA

View Full Version : Explain the Space Mtn cars

Briansmom
08-31-2010, 11:31 PM
I want to take our special DS12 on Space Mountain since he LOVES the rollercoasters and anything fast! :coaster: But it has been several years since I was on SM (like it was still where two people sat in a 'hole' with the front person sitting between the back persons' legs). DS12 doesnt understand limits and danger and I would like to know how the seats are on SM....I mean I know they are one person behind the other, three 'holes' to a car, so I want to know about the individual slot....how you are strapped in and if I wanted to sit behind my DS12, would I be able to reach up and touch him or hold his shoulders to make sure he doesnt try to lean out of the car while we are going? I want so badly to take him on this ride but his (and our) safety comes first. I really know he would love the ride and I want to introduce him to it but only if there is a way we can ride it and feel comfortable. I sure wish they would change the cars to be like the ones at DL so we wouldnt have to worry about this! TIA!

crmark1
08-31-2010, 11:55 PM
From the pictures I have seen of the new ride vehicles , there are three "holes" with two seats each side by side with a seperate pull down lap bar for each seat

CaptSmee
09-01-2010, 12:21 AM
They are for me extremely uncomfortable. It's like riding in a bobsled, 3 riders with your feet wrapped around the person in front of you. I always have a hard time getting in and out of the ride (I'm 6'3"). :(

lovinmesomedisney
09-01-2010, 10:13 AM
I understand your anxiety. It was always a hard decision taking the kids for their first ride on Space Mountain. I was always worried about them panicking and then you are not in the seat with them. I have been on it a million times and was just there in April, but I am trying to imagine if you could place your arms on the person in front of you shoulders. I'm thinking it's not possible because the seats are to the back of the hole and your feet are in front of you. I'm only 5' 1" so maybe if you have longer arms, it is possible. There is a lap bar that holds you in. Maybe if you have a cast member be sure that his is on very snug. It is very fun and if he loves coasters, I'm sure he would love this one. I hope he gets the opportunity, but I totally understand your concerns for his safety.

buzznwoodysmom
09-01-2010, 10:20 AM
My kids are 10 and 8, but very small, and I always worry about them on Space Mountain. When each of my kids first road Space Mountian I sat directly behind them and I did hold on to their shoulders during the entire ride. It was very uncomfortable for me, I did not enjoy the ride at all between reaching for them and worrying, but they both loved it. I have to say that if a kid would panic or try to lean forward there really is nothing the person sitting behind them could do to stop it. My arms could reach my sons' shoulders, but if they had leaned forward I don't think I would have been able to hold them back. Good luck.

joonyer
09-01-2010, 02:12 PM
Don't worry too much. It has been operating for over 35 years (millions and millions of riders), and no one has ever fallen out of a car while riding Space Mountain.

badkitty
09-01-2010, 04:06 PM
From the pictures I have seen of the new ride vehicles , there are three "holes" with two seats each side by side with a seperate pull down lap bar for each seat

This is the DL configuration not WDW. WDW is the "bobsled" type with three individual holes.

Daisy'sMom
09-01-2010, 04:21 PM
My autistic nephew would love this ride but my sister and her husband won't let him go on it because of the seats. He does EE, RnRC, but they are afraid he might panic during the ride.:mickey:

Briansmom
09-01-2010, 08:58 PM
Don't worry too much. It has been operating for over 35 years (millions and millions of riders), and no one has ever fallen out of a car while riding Space Mountain.
Yeah....I get this.....but you don't know my son!! Leave it to him to be the first! LOL!

My autistic nephew would love this ride but my sister and her husband won't let him go on it because of the seats. He does EE, RnRC, but they are afraid he might panic during the ride.:mickey:
Our DS12 has autism as well. I am really on the fence on this one...I researched some more and found pictures and those sides just seem really low...But then this will be his third trip and he now understands the concept of riding rides so maybe he will 'sit back and enjoy the ride'?? I have three weeks to make up my mind.....thanks to all of you for giving me information to mull over until then...... we are getting so excited! :donald: :goofy:

Granny Jill A
09-02-2010, 03:19 PM
This is the DL configuration not WDW. WDW is the "bobsled" type with three individual holes.

Darn! I wish they would use the DL seating design. I haven't ridden WDW's version in years. It's just too rough and hard on my knees getting in and out.

crltkcagle
09-02-2010, 07:10 PM
Does he get scared in the dark? SM is really dark and that would be my only concern that he would get scared and try to jump out. It is IMO the most uncomforable ride to get in and out of. I am only 5'6" and I have problems getting out of that ride.

Briansmom
09-02-2010, 08:57 PM
Does he get scared in the dark? SM is really dark and that would be my only concern that he would get scared and try to jump out. It is IMO the most uncomforable ride to get in and out of. I am only 5'6" and I have problems getting out of that ride.

No, he is quite the opposite.....he LOVES the dark! "ooooohhhhhhhhh...........it's dark in here!" (picture a :D !)

LVT
09-03-2010, 08:33 AM
The bobsled 3 holes in a row are somewhat deep.
The safety bar us locked. Maybe someone here recalls 1. Can you get out of a locked bar?
2. Could someone touch the side walls of the ride chamber?

SBETigg
09-03-2010, 09:18 AM
The safety restraint pulls into you, so it's like a bar pressing on your lower chest/stomach. With that seating style and the restraint, I can't imagine he would be able to lean or wiggle out of the restraint at all. You're very secure in those seats. The way you're sitting discourages leaning too far one or the other in the first place. You're tucked way down in there. In this thread, people have mentioned how hard it is to get out of the seat at the end of the ride, so that should lend some comfort that it would be pretty difficult to attempt to get out of the ride while it's moving.

It is the seating as others have described it, but you can talk to and hear the people directly in front of and behind you, and you can (maybe just barely) reach to the back/shoulders of the person in front of you if you're in the right seating arrangement (not at the end/start of a new car, but in the adjacent two seats of one car). The first car in each group of seats seems to have less leg room than the following cars. I imagine he would handle it just fine from what you have described, but of course I understand your concern and maybe not. Perhaps watching a ride video on youtube would help? The seat style has not changed in the recent refurbishment, so the ride videos that show the ride with lights on from the past five years or so would give you a good idea of what to expect.

Granny Jill A
09-03-2010, 03:31 PM
The safety restraint pulls into you, so it's like a bar pressing on your lower chest/stomach.

I noticed that the bar kept pressing harder and harder with each dip the coaster took. By the time the ride was over, I was in a great deal of discomfort. I'm not a Pooh-sized person, so it wasn't a case of me being too big for the seat. Has anyone else experienced this situation?

SBETigg
09-03-2010, 08:02 PM
I noticed that the bar kept pressing harder and harder with each dip the coaster took. By the time the ride was over, I was in a great deal of discomfort. I'm not a Pooh-sized person, so it wasn't a case of me being too big for the seat. Has anyone else experienced this situation?

Yes, it can go down as far as you're comfortable, and if you keep pressing, it can go past your comfort level. You have to set it where you're comfortable and then try not to press it on it again. The same thing happens with most of the restraints, like Big Thunder's and Rock n Roller's. They're meant to adjust to size, so you can click it early so you have some wiggle room, but if you continue to press on it, you can draw it closer to you, and sometimes a little too close for comfort. Usually I'm fine but occasionally, I have pulled it too tight on myself. Never to the point of danger, but definitely to some discomfort.

Mrs Bus Driver
09-04-2010, 11:55 AM
I think if you ask a cast member there is a ride vehicle off to the side somewhere that you can try out. It is there for pooh size folks and such so they don't have to wait in the line to find out if they would be comfortable. I haven't done this myself (even though I am pooh sized) but have read about it. I think there is some information in info central under pooh sized. Hope this helps :mickey:

Fastpasssteve
09-04-2010, 01:33 PM
You had said, "You don't know my child..." This ride has been in operation for 35 years with no one falling out. The police are right...we're not all so different...it comes down to fingerprints. As with most things in life, the kids are fine, the parents are not.

brownie
09-05-2010, 09:22 AM
The restraints are there to hold people in. The forces on your body will also help to hold you in. I don't think you will have any problems.

Briansmom
09-05-2010, 10:13 PM
Thanks, everyone! I appreciate all of your input. I think we might just give SM a try this trip! :mickey:

LVT
09-06-2010, 10:54 AM
Best wishes.

Granny Jill A
09-07-2010, 01:51 PM
You have to set it where you're comfortable and then try not to press it on it again.

Hmmmm.... I had it set at a comfortable place, but it was almost impossible to keep from pressing down on the bar as I swerved and looped around.

I guess I should be brave and not hold on next time. :D

Imagineer1981
09-07-2010, 03:18 PM
There are no test seats for SM. I will say that the back 2 seats have more leg room (i know the front looks roomy but it isn't) because you can slide your legs under the seat in front. I am 6;2 and worked there, trust me. Also the lap bars will hold you in well. In all honesty the ride only goes 27 mph on average, which is actually a little slower the BTMRR and you cannot touch the sides

SBETigg
09-08-2010, 06:54 AM
Hmmmm.... I had it set at a comfortable place, but it was almost impossible to keep from pressing down on the bar as I swerved and looped around.

I guess I should be brave and not hold on next time. :D

I think once the ride starts, it stays in place. There's just that time before they check the bars when you can still make your restraint uncomfortably tight. Maybe just try not to worry and leave a little room. Once that bar is down/pulled in, you're not going anywhere, even if it's not a really tight fit.

Briansmom
10-05-2010, 11:00 PM
I just wanted to give you all a report on our SM experience....

Let's just put it this way......I believe that Space Mountain is now one of DS12's favorite attractions!! He did SO well with it and squealed with the rest of us! As soon as we would come to the end, he would say "More" and "Ride again"!! I appreciate all the input and encouragement! Thanks again!

:rocks:

SBETigg
10-05-2010, 11:04 PM
So glad! Excellent news! Thanks for reporting back.

LVT
10-13-2010, 09:40 PM
Great news. Now how is your back/neck holding out!

Briansmom
10-15-2010, 10:46 PM
Great news. Now how is your back/neck holding out!

:rotfl:

I actually gave DH the 'job' of being behind DS since he has longer arms!! And I believe he has recovered nicely!

I think he really just reached forward with one arm to touch DS on the shoulder after the first time to remind DS that he was there and to stay in his seat. On one of our later rides, DS actually did try to reach up to touch the top of the flashing red tunnel towards the end!! I knew he would do something!! :blush: