PDA

View Full Version : Have you had a hurricane or tropical storm on your vacation?

EpcotFanatic
08-31-2010, 05:27 PM
I've pretty much coped with the rain factor. Last year I went and when we landed it was pouring out at the airport. By the time we got the hotel, I was like wow that was a fast moving storm. I asked the guy outside how bad the rain was, he was like "what rain?" :party: I think after that, it only rained once, and it was welcomed. Besides, I'd rather take a thunderstorm in Disney (and stay on TTA/SSE, literally riding it out), than a cold dreary depressing thunderstorm back home. :thumbsup:

I'm going down Sept 25-Oct . I know Chris says that's too far in voodooland. Hopefully after this wave of storms, we can sneak in our trip before the next ones pop their head.

I talked to Disney, and they'll reschedule your trip, but you lose rates and promotions. That's not fun. So I'm thinking of heading down earlier, only because it will earn me another shot at a vacation in September. Then again, what are the odds of 2 trip cancellations due to weather in 1 month, let alone 1?

Someone give me a :beer: and tell me to man up! :blush:

faline
08-31-2010, 05:38 PM
We have often been in Disney during hurricane season. On one occasion, we arrived just after a tropical storm had gone through. On another occasion, we left one day early due to the arrival of a hurricane (I was starting a new position and needed to be sure I returned home in time. Otherwise, I likely would have stayed).

The odds that you will experience a hurricane during your trip are actually pretty slim.

smokester653
08-31-2010, 07:28 PM
We experienced Hurricane Wilma during our trip. Disney did close ALL parks for part of the day & we just made a lazy day of it. We washed clothes & kids played games in the arcade. If i remember correctly we did go to Epcot later that evening.

BigRedDad
08-31-2010, 07:31 PM
You cannot control the weather, so no need to worry about it. The odds of a hurricane hitting Orlando while you are there is probably less likely than your plane being hijacked by terrorists.

Go and have fun. If a hurricane is on the way, enjoy the resort and hit the parks the next morning. Disney gets it cleaned up that fast.

Donald
08-31-2010, 08:04 PM
[QUOTE=. Then again, what are the odds of 2 trip cancellations due to weather in 1 month, let alone 1?

[/QUOTE]

Ask any cast member that worked in 2004!

Disney has their hurricane routine down to a science. If you have to endure one, do it there! Disney property is able to withstand a major hurricane.

When we were there for Jeanne in 2004, they presented us with a flashlight and safety guidelines. :beer:They had a couple of tv stations dedicated to movies for entertainment throughout the storm. They had a tv channel dedicated to storm updates. W never lost power-it flickered-but we never lost it! We were confined to our room due to the intensity of the storm (still considered a cat 1 over land; 2004 was a strong year for storms). There was about a 36 hour curfew for the Orlando area (Sat. evening through Mon. morning). Therefore, there was no Disney transportation. But, there was no where to go: everything was closed. By Sunday evening, it was OK to walk around the resort. They had the food courts open at that time.

Alaska Disney Fan
08-31-2010, 08:58 PM
Someone give me a :beer: and tell me to man up! :blush:

Take your girly panties off and man up! I'll be down there on Sept 24th - Oct 3rd. If there is a hurrican while were down there I'll buy you a beer!:beer:

ElenitaB
08-31-2010, 09:27 PM
We were at BWV in 2004 during Hurricane Frances. The parks were closed for 2-1/2 days. We received instructions under our door everyday about things to do, such as: bring the furniture in from the balcony, close the curtains, go to the bathroom should there be tornado warnings. We were taken care of very well, and in spite of the weather, it turned out to be a very relaxing Disney vacation. After all, we did nothing but read, talk and watch TV for all that time.

Disney did take very good care of us during that time. In the lobby there were character meet and greats most afternoons; sandwiches were on sale; park passes were refunded (we had APs so it didn't matter); the electricity never went out. As a matter of fact, I felt a bit guilty as castmembers were there taking care of guests, instead of being home with their families and taking care of their homes. I also seem to recall that peoples' stays were extended if they couldn't travel home due to the storm.

SBETigg
08-31-2010, 09:30 PM
We had a hurricane during our October stay one year. It actually worked out great. Disney closed the parks for the day due to hurricane, but ended up opening them early for resort guests only and we got so much done, to make up for lost time. Plus, there was the excitement of the storm, free movies in the room while the storm was raging, and visits in the lobby from characters. It's one of my kids' best memories from the trip.

The downside? The hurricane brought some cold temps for October (50s at night) and drew a lot of locals who were out of power, making the crowds heavy (but manageable) for the rest of our stay. But I wouldn't have changed a thing about that trip.

Soccermom12
08-31-2010, 09:50 PM
We went in 2006 - there was hurricane/tropical storm Ernesto. I'm not sure where in Florida it actually hit, but Orlando seemed to have been spared. The parks were open and they were completely empty - (most of the people there were resort guests....most locals probably stayed away). All the rides were walk -on. We were able to ride the "mountains" over and over (without getting back in line). It was a cloudy, drizzly day with one or two major downpours. It was actually the best day we had at MK!

SandmanGStefani24
08-31-2010, 10:37 PM
yep, had a few incidents...

1995-allison hit the day our last day. the outer bands hit the days before and it finally hit as we were leaving. luckily it was just north enough that we were spared the brunt of it.

2005-we were there between Emily, Gert, and 2 depressions that merged into Katrina. We missed most of the heavy rains, but caught some winds which were welcome in the heat.

It's not often that you hit a complete washout of a day. Thankfully most storms pass quickly over the Florida area so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Worst case set aside some free time one of your days there just in case one day gets rained out. You'll be alright...WDW has a knack for getting the best out of things. Remember, it was just a swamp when they started, lol...:beer:

Niecyboo
08-31-2010, 11:40 PM
We were at Disney during Ernesto too! It was actually quite a fun day. We went to Epcot, and I agree that the parks were empty. We got in line for Maelstrom at 8:50 and got off, walked right up to the fence in Norway and watched Illuminations. The only thing they couldn't do was light the torch at the end. We were very wet that day, but it was a great experience, and I felt very informed and taken care of the day before when they weren't quite sure how hard it would hit.

ANG
09-01-2010, 07:56 AM
Well I've never experienced rain, let alone a hurricane at WDW.

But I think it's great hearing how Disney takes such great care of their guests.

Renfairwedding
09-01-2010, 09:24 AM
We make it a point to drive down a day early so not to miss a day of park fun. A hurricane hit down state and was headed north. We checked out and headed to the Contemporary to start our week. It was very strange to drive in with no traffic and Disney Police blocking all the Down Town Disney parking lot entrances. With the storm raging we checked in. What was amazing and we decided it was all part of the Disney magic, we were told to stay in our rooms but the park would be open at 12PM. You know by 11:30 the rain stopped and by 12 the sun was out with blue sky's. The parks were empty most of the afternoon it was like we had the place to ourselves.

The hurricane hit the southern part of the state hard and Orlando received mostly rain. Giving credit to Disney they allowed the out of state power company's assemble on property. It was some site to see what must have been over 200+ power company and tree service trucks cherry pickers all lined up in the Epcot lot.

EpcotFanatic
09-01-2010, 02:00 PM
If a hurricane is on the way, enjoy the resort and hit the parks the next morning.

To me this is the equivalent of taking your kids with you to buy batteries... at Toys R Us, and leaving with just batteries. :thedolls:

I've been talking to an old friend that I found on Facebook. He and his family live about an hour outside Orlando. He said it takes a direct hit for Disney to close the parks. Same with Universal, and Sea World. He said they wait until the last possible moment where they can say "OK it's not safe for CM's or guests." Some rides will close if there is dangerous winds and lightning. Rain isn't a factor.

As long as it's fast moving! :thumbsup:

beckylovestink
09-01-2010, 04:40 PM
EPCOTFANATIC I am with you! We are heading down 9/25-10/1 and I am watching the weather like a hawk:)

I will be glad to be away from home and work but I would hate to miss out on all the WDW fun because of a storm...but those are the chances I take with booking during hurricane season.

HERE's TO A HURRICANE FREE VISIT!!:beer::marg:

DVC2004
09-01-2010, 04:53 PM
In October 2005 we returned from our Disney Cruise for an after-stay at WDW when Hurrican Wilma hit. We were at MNSSHP when the first wave of rain bands passed over. It was just steady rain. They didn't cancel the party and the parade had to be delyaed until a break in th weather. We were staying at BWV's and when we got back to our room late that night they had sent a note stating the parks and restaurants would be closed until further notice the next day. We hung out in our room- they added some movies to thier programming and then ate a buffet lunch in one of the banquet halls. By 1 pm they reopened Epcot and MK to resort guests only. It was great- the park was empty! Just a little leaf/branch and debris being cleaned up. The following day everything was back to normal/. We always felt safe. The best part- our flight home was cancelled and we got to stay one extra day!

EpcotFanatic
09-01-2010, 07:40 PM
Well I guess it's not so bad, especially if resort guests get first dibs.

michellerose1579
09-03-2010, 08:47 AM
Take your girly panties off and man up! I'll be down there on Sept 24th - Oct 3rd. If there is a hurrican while were down there I'll buy you a beer!:beer:

This made me laugh because I have been fretting the same thing!! I will be there 9/21-9/29!!

ILoveLegos
09-03-2010, 10:42 AM
Yes, I think it was Sept of 2004 - but I didn't go to WDW during the storm, I stayed in my Florida home and battoned down the hatches! I just sustained some damage to some of my palm trees and had to have them prunned afterward - my house was fine, but the patch of forest on the next lot lost several trees but they stayed in the forest, thankfully.

I also stayed on Block Island while a hurricane passed off shore in the latter part of 90s. At one point, while the Hurricane had technically passed, I stood in calf deep water at the shore and got hit in the ankle by a large rock - Ouch -it bruised me up badly and made the stair climb and subsequent bike ride quite difficult as it became swollen and turned blue. Hurricanes are powerful storms - I stay out the water when they are around now.

I've gone to the NJ Shore to watch the storm tides (from the sand) in the past. This time though, as Hurricane Earl passes, I'll just tune in to the weather channel occassionally, I guess.

I guess I'm older and wiser now. :blush:

PopPhan
09-03-2010, 11:09 AM

I'll be looking for you if (God forbid) there is a hurricane then!! We'll be there Sept. 20th - 30th!!!!

michellerose1579
09-03-2010, 03:11 PM
we will all have to meet up!!! :)

Joannelet
09-03-2010, 03:37 PM
I was a cast member in 1998 during hurricane season. Disney takes the best precautions when a hurricane is supposed to hit so your safety is the number one concern. As far as things closing that will happen only if things are way too dangerous to be out and about.
One did hit when I was there working but parks were opened for most of the day and then closed early due to high winds and rain.
The next day was fine though and parks opened as usual.
We travel now mostly in Sept. so we haven't hit one directly. We have been arriving before or after one. So it hasn't been that bad. I wouldn't worry about it. It is something that you cannot control. Most likely it will be just a day that will keep you from heading into the parks but you will be together and at Disney so don't worry about it! :)

IloveDisney71
09-04-2010, 11:03 PM
We were there when a tropical storm went through the area - I don't remember how close it was to Orlando (It may have been Ernesto - I'm not sure). None of the parks closed. We live on the Gulf Coast so we are used to tropical storms and hurricanes so we weren't concerned with it at all. We decided if we were going to be wet we might as well go to a water park. We went to Typhoon Lagoon. It was great! We basically had the park to ourselves. I don't think there were 100 people in that entire park- at least it seemed that way- it was deserted. We walked onto every single ride. We rode everything in just a couple of hours. I highly recommend going to the water parks on days like that. Then we went to Disney Studios that afternoon and the crowds there were still low. By then the rain had stopped.

DonLefNY
09-05-2010, 08:47 AM
Back in 2004 we rode out hurricane Charlie at SSR. Our little 4 day trip turned into a week + due to problems getting home. We enjoyed the stay.

diz_girl
09-07-2010, 03:57 PM
Hurricane Ophelia was sitting off the coast of Daytona, FL when we were there in September '05. Disney did not get a direct hit. It was warm, but there was a nice breeze pretty much the whole time. The only significant rainfall that I can recall was a deluge during Illuminations one night.

Just an aside, I was in Cape Cod last week and we actually left a day early because of Hurricane Earl. We stayed in the outer cape, and we didn't want to stick around in case things got bad there.

brownie
09-07-2010, 04:58 PM
We've only experienced periodic rain showers, never a severe storm or hurricane. For us, it will rain for a few minutes and get nice again.

Jeri Lynn
09-08-2010, 10:02 AM
We were there for Hurricane Floyd and Jeanne, and I think we were also there for a tropical storm, just can't remember the name!!

We actually flew in a day early because of Jeanne, the Beach Club was packed, it took over an hour to check in. We were stuck in the hotel for the day but at least we were there!

EpcotFanatic
09-08-2010, 01:39 PM
Looking at the NHC's map, I guess the odds really do favor guests to avoid a hurricane.

Hermine went to Texas, Fiona went out to sea, Earl was a dud past NC, Gaston is fizzling, Igor is too far away to tell. None of them really did anything to Florida, let alone Orlando to the point where Disney would have to close.

Keeping my fingers crossed. 17 more days! :thumbsup:

LauraByTheSea
09-08-2010, 03:36 PM
I remember when I first moved to the Keys 10 years ago I was TERRIFIED of what would happen. Now, I just put my plants on the porch floor. Even if a storm were to come through, we Floridians know how to clean up from is VERY fast. You'd really be surprised at just HOW fast! We're a tourist state and we survive on tourist dollars. If things are closed, we make no dollars. And during the storm, as long as you stay inside, you'll be fine!

Janmac
09-08-2010, 07:31 PM
We were at WDW in September 2008 and had also wondered (worried?) about hurricanes. We brought several DVDs along, and lots of snacks, just in case.

While we had been thinking of a direct hit from a hurricane, we had not considered driving through waves of rain from downgraded tropical storms. The first day of our trip to Florida, driving south through central Missouri we made very slow time because of the torrential rains from Fay.

While at Disney we had one fairly wet and sometimes miserable evening at Epcot because of rain bands spun off from Ike passing near Florida. We had ADRs at the Princess Dinner at Norway and thought we needed to keep them - because of the credit card. On the way to Norway we stopped at Imagination, thinking, oh the rain will stop soon, but it didn't. Finally went on to Norway. The heavy rain and winds had us thoroughly wet. Epcot was fairly deserted, except for Akershus. The small lobby was especially crowded as folks all tried to wait inside. I don't know how some of those little princesses were so dry!?! :confused:

A day or two before we left, we were chatting with a family from Houston, who were "stuck" at Disney because of a hurricane (possibly Ike) hitting Houston. They were trying to be glad to have another couple of days at Disney but were still worried about their house, which had no electricity.

We decided after the trip that hurricanes were not enough to keep us away during September if we had the chance to go again at that time. We might decide to just eat the charges, tho, if heavy rains happened again near supper time.

Jan