PDA

View Full Version : Recovering from Back Operation

beksy
08-31-2010, 08:58 AM
Mom had a major back surgury in April but made a really great recovery. So we added her on to our trip to celebrate. We are going knowing that she won't be able to do several of the rides since we don't want to damage anything but she is happy to go and get autographs, eat, and just be at Disney so rides are a bonus. Some rides we've found warn against riding if you have problems but then don't bother her at all. I know BTMRR, Space Mountain, and the other coasters are out. Are they any rides in particular that you would definitely avoid or any that you think would be fine (like Peter Pan or HM)? Thanks!

Mickey'sGirl
08-31-2010, 09:09 AM
How fabulous for your Mom! I'm thinking of HM when we fall out of the attic window and descend backwards into the graveyard. My back always cracks there ... Perhaps this is something she might consider missing this trip?

Ms. Mode
08-31-2010, 12:07 PM
My DH had back surgery in Feb. 2008 and we had an August 2008 trip to WDW that was one of the very best trips we've had!

The good thing about WDW is that several of the rides are more gentle than what you get at other types of parks. My DH rode everything...and walked everywhere too. Of course every case is different, I just wanted to give you some positive feedback. :)

Have fun :mickey:

ElenitaB
09-02-2010, 12:15 AM
I hate to say it but I find that Toy Story Mania (one of my favorites) kind of whips you around and I always worry that my back may go out on it. Another ride you might want to be wary of is Primeval Whirl (I think they have a warning posted there though).

LVT
09-03-2010, 04:14 PM
Dinosaur seemed rough to me.
I think Ellen's energy adventure has a couple of jerky movements, also.

Dznygrl79
09-06-2010, 12:31 PM
I have chronic back problems but still love visiting "The World" in addition to some of the rides mentioned I have problems with The Jungle Cruise, not the ride itself but getting in and out of the boat really bother me. Also Winnie the Pooh, when the Hunny Pot hops it can cause a certain amount of discomfort. But there are so many fun things you can do the shows are always still fun, if it was cervical level back surgery you might wanna avoid stitch so that the restraints don't bother anything. Good Luck have fun!

brivers222
10-29-2010, 12:20 PM
Dinosaur I would imagine is a big problem ride for back surgery recoverers... Right up there with Primevil whirl and the Kilamjaro Safari... They are all very jerky and you can twist in ways that would hurt the back (i through my back out the first time on Dinosaur... now i am ready for it!!)

I would also say along the lines of TSMM... Buzz light year astro blaster... those cars can get pretty jerky if controlled by the wrong individual

Peter pan should be fine, but Winnie the Pooh, Snow White can be very tricky too.

Now i am not saying its a guarantee she would get hurt on the fantasyland rides, but really i can imagine a person with a senstive back could feel some discomfort.

In Epcot, the spaceship earth going down from the top could be a bit uncomfortable the same was as the grave yard scene in HM (just a longer duration in SE). Mission space is jerky both ways. perhaps soaring as they are more clean movements of a hangglidder... but its been 6 years since I have been on it