PDA

View Full Version : Part time wheelchair user

russ57
08-29-2010, 08:24 PM
I have diabetes and have charchot foot. We are planning a trip to Disneyworld in October 2011. I am not allowed to do alot of walking, and I use a wheelchair to get around long distances. What is the best way to handle this, as I do want to get some walking in, and also will Disney Transportation allow a folded up wheelchair without tying me into the bus? Thanks everyone in advance. Russ

tinklover
08-29-2010, 09:04 PM
I have diabetes and have charchot foot. We are planning a trip to Disneyworld in October 2011. I am not allowed to do alot of walking, and I use a wheelchair to get around long distances. What is the best way to handle this, as I do want to get some walking in, and also will Disney Transportation allow a folded up wheelchair without tying me into the bus? Thanks everyone in advance. Russ

I don't see why they would not allow a folded chair. I know last year I was in a scooter as I will be this year due to arthritis. the driver always asked me if i wanted to stay in the scooter or get a seat. if there was a large group to get get on the bus I would stay to free up a seat.

ibelieveindisneymagic
08-29-2010, 10:00 PM
I'm going to move this over to our Special Needs forum, where there will be lots of advice about touring Disney with a wheelchair or an ECV.

I know when we take my Mom, we rent an ECV for her, and Disney couldn't be better at making sure she has a great time.

beksy
08-30-2010, 08:40 AM
Mom is in an ECV when we take her to Disney for arthritis. One trip we had 2 ECVs when my arthritis was acting up too. We have never had any big problems with the buses. Some drivers are more helpful than others but we always get where we're going! We have ridden before with people in a folding chair. The driver just had them get out and transfer to a regular seat and then he secured the chair. They actually prefer that you transfer if you can. We used to rent the folding chair when I was growing up and Dad went along and pushed Mom but the past several trips we rent the ECV. It is not all that bad price-wise and gives her more freedom. Plus it can be a long day for the people pushing! She felt guilty and it put a damper on her trip. There are times she has to get out and walk and we will switch and let either me or my sister have a turn sitting in the chair while she stretches. Also for stores we've never had a problem parking it in an out-of-the way area and her just walking around. Same for restaurants. Disney is great with mobility issues and works with you. Have a great trip!