PDA

View Full Version : Tot + tmj = ?

BellesRose
08-25-2010, 11:59 PM
I've never been on the Tower of Terror but I'd like to try it. I have TMJ so I need to make sure my jaw won't come out of place and lock on the ride. I seem to do fine on roller coasters, but I only go on them when my TMJ isn't acting up. What are your opinions?

P.S. My TMJ does not affect my daily life much, except that I occasionally have trouble when just waking up, cannot chew gum, and I can no longer jump in pools (I jumped into a pool about a year ago and my jaw locked when I hit the water...) so I'm a little worried about the pressure.

PopPhan
08-26-2010, 11:00 AM
Can you wear a mouth guard of some kind to keep minimal pressure on your jaw? That may be your best bet for preventative measures.

MNNHFLTX
08-26-2010, 11:02 AM
I would follow the same precautions you do on the rollercoasters. I don't know if there would be a significant amount of pressure on your jaw when the elevator drops, but it is likely to cause you to scream or otherwise open your mouth suddenly.

brownie
08-26-2010, 11:05 AM
Keep in mind it's not just a drop. You are being pulled down faster than than gravity. It's a smooth ride, but you are moving up and down at higher speeds.

BellesRose
08-26-2010, 11:45 AM
The whole "being pulled down" part is why I'm concerned. And I don't think I can wear any kind of guard.

My brother has had stomach issues for about a year now so he's not going, my mom doesn't like heights or drops so she won't be going, and my dad doesn't care either way. I've always wanted to ride this, but I remember I was at Disney when my TMJ first started getting bad and I didn't know what it was back then...it kind of ruined the trip because I couldn't eat anything. It's much better these days because I know what it is and how to control it, but little things can trigger it (Like stress or sleeping on my side).

I will say I was anxious to try Rock n Rollercoaster because of that, but I did it anyways and my jaw seemed to be fine. Would TOT be much different?

eeyorepoohfan
08-26-2010, 12:07 PM
I have had TMJ issues since I was 12 (so about 19 years now). I do have times where my jaw really acts up or wants to lock. I can ride every single ride at WDW without issue. What's important for me to remember to is to keep my jaw relaxed as much as possible every day. I love to scream and yell on all rides, and I do! I just remind myself when I'm waiting for a ride or walking around to just let the muscles in my jaw relax. I've even ridden Mission Space and had no jaw issues. I also have to remind myself to minimize my talking some days because that will aggrivate it. My DH knows my condition well and can tell if I'm having a rough day. I also find that if my jaw is acting up I can massage the muscles on my cheeks (but I don't push on the actual jaw joint), plus I will massage the muscles going up my skull (since they attach to the jaw). My DH is a chiropractor and he has helped my jaw issues tremendously! But he has never had to work on my jaw while at Disney! Just remember, don't clench your teeth at anytime while doing anything! That always makes my jaw worse! So go and have fun and just listen to your body! I always do and I always have a great time riding all the rides! :thumbsup:

BellesRose
08-26-2010, 12:15 PM
Thank you for the advice! I don't clench during the day or on the rides, but I do clench at night which is why I wake up sore sometimes. I will be sure to relax myself before I go to bed at Disney as well...that should help some and I will see how I'm feeling the day we go to DHS. Thanks again! :thumbsup:

BrerGnat
08-26-2010, 12:21 PM
I wouldn't worry about the drop, but the sudden "up" that you will experience over and over. The speed with which you go up is considerable, and it's quite a jolt when you hit the bottom and start going up again. This may cause you to clench, involuntarily. Just be aware that it's not just ONE drop, but several, and several ups as well. It's very "bouncy". I have borderline TMJ (I get lots of migraines, and my dentist thinks it might be realated, since I do clench and grind my back molars considerably at night). I just rode TOT the other day (at Disneyland), and it had been a long time since I'd been on it. It did cause me to get a headache...

There is the warning for people with "head or neck" problems to not ride. TMJ is certainly classified as a "head or neck" problem.

Zawadi
08-26-2010, 12:22 PM
ToT uses two motors (one at the top and the other at the bottom o fthe shaft) to pull the cage to a top speed of 39mph at a maximum of 1.3G

The acceleration/deceleration is smooth and on the drop you can experience weightlessness depending on the tightness of your seat belt.

Since the drop sequence is randomised you can't brace. For example you could go (up, down, down up) so bracing yourself for a drop or ascent is difficult to predict.

If in doubt ask your doctor before your trip.

disneymom2000
08-26-2010, 08:06 PM
All I can say is you are a brave soul to attempt this having that kind of issue. I hope if you ride it, it doesn't effect you at all. It is truely one of my favorite rides.:fingers: