PDA

View Full Version : New Member who wants to know more about Camping at the Fort

Chipanddale
08-25-2010, 01:35 PM
Hello
I just found and joined this forum today.
I hope someday we can meet at Disney.

I am thinking about staying in a Camp at Fort Wilderness. I will be bringing my 2 year grandchild. It will be his first time at Disney.

The last time, I've been to Disney, I think was 2004.
My area had been hit with hurricanes back to back and I have not been able to afford to go back to Disney because of property repairs.

Hopefully, I will be able to go this December.

I really would like to stay in a cabin. Which loop would be the best. I would like one next to a bus stop so we won't have to walk far in the dark after the parks.

I am also interested in renting a golf cart.
So please email me the best off site golf cart rental company.

Thanks
Chipanddale

cer
08-25-2010, 01:42 PM
I know someone will come along shortly to help you with your questions about Fort Wilderness. I have not stayed there.

I just wanted to say :welcome: to Intercot!

Chipanddale
08-25-2010, 01:47 PM
Thank You very much cer
for the warm welcome!
Glad to meet you!

I am reading other posts about the cabins. I am getting really excited about possibly staying there.

Hugs
Chipanddale:mickey:

cajundisneyfreak
08-25-2010, 02:17 PM
Just wanted to say :welcome: :rocks:

Melanie
08-25-2010, 03:17 PM
:welcome: to INTERCOT!!

No doubt our camping experts will be along soon with some insight. :thumbsup:

Daisy'sMom
08-25-2010, 03:20 PM
A few years ago, we rented a cabin with our sons and new DILs. We loved it. We didn't rent a golf cart. It was so much fun, they have so much going on there. We stayed in the 2100 loop. Have a wonderful time and welcome to Intercot, everyone is so friendly, you won't regret joining.
:mickey3:

Chipanddale
08-25-2010, 06:21 PM
Just wanted to say :welcome: :rocks:

Cajundisneyfreak
I live very near to Houma!
Have you heard they are planning on building a small theme park in Houma?
It suppose to open April 2012

Thanks everyone for the welcome. I am glad to be part of your family!

I was wondering which cabin loop would be the best with a 2 year old.

I want one that has good lighting and near the bus stop

faline
08-25-2010, 06:34 PM
Welcome to Intercot! :mickey:

On our first several trips to Disney World, we called Fort Wilderness home. Initially, we tent camped. Later, we stayed in the cabins. I still consider Fort Wilderness my Disney home!

All the cabin loops are towards what I consider the front of the resort - closet to the Reception Outpost. The loops are relatively small so no cabin is too far away from a bus stop. There is also Swimming Pool in this area so I would suggest loops 2600 or 2500 as most convenient to the pool. Although I don't recall it being terribly dark later in the evenings, I still found a flashlight to be helpful in the walk from the bus stop to the cabin.

Resort map located here (http://intercot.com/resorts/disney/maps/images/fwcg07.JPG).

We've never found a golf cart to be a critical need for a trip to this resort and have, instead, relied upon Disney's bus system to get around. If you do rent a cart, please be very careful when transporting when transporting an active toddler in one!

If your grandson is closer to 3 than 2, I'd also suggest a dinner at Hoop de Doo. It's lots of fun!

If you bring a car with you, you can park your car right at your cabin.

faline
08-25-2010, 06:42 PM
By the way, don't think of the cabins as a camping experience. The cabins are every bit as nice as any of the other resort rooms on property. You will have a full kitchen which includes refrigerator, range, dishwasher, microwave, pots, pans, etc. The living area includes a couch and a pull down Murphy bed. You will also have a full size bathroom and a bedroom in the back. There's a deck outside. You'll have daily mousekeeping service. When we left even one coffee cup in the sink, we found the cup would be placed into the dishwasher and the dishwasher would be run!

beksy
08-25-2010, 08:01 PM
I just wanted to add my welcome to Intercot! Glad to have you!

Chipanddale
08-25-2010, 08:43 PM
Thanks Beksy for the warm welcome!

Do this site has a way for members to find each other when at WDW?

Faline,
Thanks for the information!
Much appreciated!
I have a golf cart. I will not bring mine's due to the hassle of transporting it.

Oppss.. My grandchild just made 3 a month ago. Time flies by so fast.
He is very shy and he pretty much stay still when riding in the GC.

I think he would love the Fort.
I am just worried about the lighting and transportation to the parks.

We plan on doing HDR and Mickey's backyard BBQ. I can see him doing a jig with the music.

My Dh is fairly large, I hope we fit comfortably in a full size bed. We sleep in a King size bed. He is doing a good job of losing weight lately.. So maybe by December the bed dilemma won't be a problem.

Do you know if the cabins get discounts like the regular resorts?

What is the magical express bus?

Why is the boone bus a good bus and loop location?

I am so excited about my future trip. It's been so long.

Do you know if Disney Quest is still open at Downtown Disney?

faline
08-25-2010, 09:09 PM
Faline,
Thanks for the information!
Much appreciated!

You're welcome.

Oppss.. My grandchild just made 3 a month ago.

Be aware that this means he is no longer free and you'll now need to buy park passes for him.

I am just worried about the lighting and transportation to the parks.

Just bring that flashlight and the lighting will be fine. Transportation from Fort Wilderness was never a problem. If you have a golf cart, you'll be able to drive it to Pioneer Hall, plug it in to charge up and take the busses or the boat from that location to get to the parks.

My Dh is fairly large, I hope we fit comfortably in a full size bed. We sleep in a King size bed. He is doing a good job of losing weight lately.. So maybe by December the bed dilemma won't be a problem.

Now that I think on it, it's been a while since we stayed in the cabins and we've gotten larger since then and gotten more used to our king sized beds. Hmmm...that could be a dilemna for us these days!

Do you know if the cabins get discounts like the regular resorts?

Yes. Cabins are eligible for discounts. I'd recommend using Magical Journeys (http://yourmagicaljourneys.com/)to help you make your reservations and get the best discount possible.

What is the magical express bus?

That is Disney's free transportation for Orlando International Airport to Disney World. You do need to make a reservation for that but Magical Journeys can help with that as well.

Why is the boone bus a good bus and loop location?

Boone is one of two internal busses that run through Fort Wilderness. Things keep changing with the transporation system but last that I remember, one internal bus circled in one direction and another in the opposite direction. Someone else might be able to chime in if this has changed. I don't recall this as a loop location.

Do you know if Disney Quest is still open at Downtown Disney?

Disney Quest is still open.

You might check out the Meets forum is you are interested in meeting up with other Intercottees during your trip. Many of use have met up with others while vacationing at Disney World. It's always fun to meet others who post here and many deep and long-lasting friendships have been formed!