PDA

View Full Version : Rediscovering the Magic Trip Report Day Two

snowflakegirl
08-24-2010, 07:47 PM
Day Two- August 5th

Cast: Jen (snowflakegirl), Disney Lover, looking to rediscover the magic after her last, not so great trip.
Joe, Jen's boyfriend, looking to experience the magic of Disney for the first time.

I was more than a little exhausted when the alarm went off a few hours after our wine with the giraffes. I got up, took a shower and attempted to wake Joe so that we could get to Epcot at least close to park opening and have breakfast down at Mara first....realizing how exhausted we both were, I suggested he go back to sleep for a bit. This was huge for me, because I've always been a "must get there for park opening and stay til park close" kinda girl. But I left him sleeping, strolled down to the Mara, picked up some coffee and some breakfast to take back to the room and we had a semi-leisurely breakfast on the balcony watching animals on the savannah and discussing the coolness factor of having had wine with giraffes.

By 10:05 we were in Epcot. We went straight for Soarin' to get our fastpasses and our return time was 12:45. We walked on to Living with the Land, which is one of my favorite rides, and I knew Joe would love it. The greenhouses are just fascinating to me, and Joe is particularly interested in things like that, so I knew he would be enthralled.

Off the ride we grabbed some coffee and tea to help keep us waking up and went to MouseGears for some shopping (we had one of the coupons from the counter service that require you to make your purchases by noon, otherwise we probably wouldn't have been shopping so early in the day), specifically I wanted a new bag for my camera, sunscreen and wallet because the one I had kept twisting up and bothering my shoulder. After MouseGears we stopped by Club Cool to try some sodas...Joe's face as I had him sip the Beverly was...priceless. Luckily I did not leave that one for last so he had a few more flavors to rid the taste.

Next we walked on to the Seas with Nemo and Friends and spent a while in the aquarium (I love both aquariums and dolphins, so I'm sorta easily lost in there). We hit Imagination and spent some time in the Image Works lab and then went to ride Soarin. We were in line for Soaring by 1:25...I always forgot how long after you get into the Fastpass line you still might have to wait...It was going to be a close call for our lunch reservations at 2:00.

After an invigorating flight over California, we jogged to Morocco for our 2pm lunch reservations at Marrakesh. We made it by 2:05! Lunch was delicious. We both had the Sultan Sampler and some drinks that came in souvenir glasses. Our waiter was...mediocre. Not bad, but not great. The bellydancer was incredible. And the music was great.

After lunch we rode Mission Space (the green line was a walkon and that was all we wanted to do anyways) which was a first for both of us. We loved it! Universe of Energy was a nice place to cool down for a bit and Joe loves educational things. I actually enjoy this ride a lot (I know not everyone agrees with me). After UoE we walked onto Spaceship Earth. Another drink at Club Cool and we were headed for the World Showcase.

We rode the ride in Mexico (I miss the Rio del Tiempo) and then got margaritas from the tequila bar. I got the strawberry frozen margarita and Joe got the lime. While mine was good, his was much, much better. We wandered over to Norway and got a fastpass for Maelstrom, and then we got School Bread. I've never had this before, but after listening to people talk about it on here, I added it to my must do list for this trip. I'm so glad that I did! After our snack we continued our way along the showcase. We wandered the gallery in China, took some pictures of the garden, but were getting hungry so we fastracked our way to Japan for dinner at the Yakitori House. It was crowded inside and about to start raining outside, but we were lucky enough to snag an umbrella table. After dinner we road Maelstrom. Then grabbed a chocolate mousse cake and a Cappuccino cheesecake from kringla Og and staked out a place to stand for Illuminations.

After Illuminations we were exhausted and despite the EMH that night, we made our way back to the hotel. We sipped a glass of wine on the balcony, and then went to bed.

Pedometer: 10.4 miles.

Next Up: Day 2 - Magic Kingdom, Boardwalk, Epcot.

T-Belle
08-24-2010, 07:57 PM
Wow-10 miles! This is why I don't worry about calorie counting at WDW. Sounds like you had another full day. I love the lime :marg:!!!! Yummy! And I keep forgetting to try the school bread. Can't wait for more reports.

faline
08-24-2010, 08:01 PM
Fun day for both of you! I'd want to make an early night of it as well!

Suz36
08-25-2010, 12:16 AM
Sounds like another great day! Thanks for mentioning about the pedometer - my DD has one and has been messing around with it at home, I know she'll get a kick out of seeing the results at WDW!

yjgirl32
08-25-2010, 08:25 AM
I too am going to try a pedometer for our trip in Oct. That is a lot of miles. Great report- thanks for sharing.

MississippiDisneyFreak
08-25-2010, 10:11 AM
Awesome Epcot day:marg:

BluewaterBrad
08-25-2010, 02:54 PM
Another full day! Your balcony must be awesome. One day I am going to have to stay in a savannah room!:mickey:

Joannelet
08-25-2010, 04:57 PM
The pedometer is a great idea!!!
how long was the stand by line for maelstrom?
I have never had to get a fastpass for it. So I'm just interested to know how long the wait was.
Great report!

snowflakegirl
08-29-2010, 04:21 PM
Wow-10 miles! This is why I don't worry about calorie counting at WDW. Sounds like you had another full day. I love the lime :marg:!!!! Yummy! And I keep forgetting to try the school bread. Can't wait for more reports.

Absolutely try the school bread! I was amazed by how much I enjoyed it.

BluewaterBrad -- The balcony was amazing. There were times it was difficult to pull ourselves away from it.

Joannelet -- The standby line for Maelstrom was only 25 minutes, more than a reasonable wait. But the return time for the Fastpass was only half an hour later. We figured we could use the half hour better by continuing to wander than standing in line.

The pedometer was very interesting! I was surprised how far we walked each day!

Cinderelley
08-30-2010, 05:27 AM
Yum! School bread!

DisneyorBust
08-30-2010, 12:10 PM
A great day in Epcot ! Especially all of the food, we love to 'munch our way around the World'.
I have used the pedometer on previous trips, it really is amazing just how much distance is covered each day, no wonder I sleep so well in Disney!:D

DizNee143
08-31-2010, 09:54 AM
what a great day at Epcot!! :mickey:

Jennifer_and_Chris
08-31-2010, 10:59 AM
Now I have to buy a pedometer. I so agree that I don't worry about what I eat at WDW because of all the calories we burn walking.

I just can't wait to stay at AKL!

RedSoxFan
08-31-2010, 07:42 PM
Sounds like a great day. My DH likes all that learning stuff too.