PDA

View Full Version : Tipping for TS meals

sydzach
08-24-2010, 11:06 AM
Ok, I am rookie on the DP, as we are going this November and got the free DP with our moderate resort reservation. We are very excited to give it a try because otherwise we would NEVER go to the expensive places-just quick service places and so this will be a neat experience for us to try this time. That being said, I know our meals will not be totally free because we will still have to pay tips. I don't love that but hey, that is part of it. I do have a question, I have book several TS meals that are buffett dining-Crystal Palace, Tusker House for breakfast buffet, then I think one other one at Hollywood and Vine which is a buffet. SO, how do you tip when it is a buffett? I wouldn't think you would tip as much as you would say at Coral Reef which we also have a reservation-because that would be a full service experience meaning the waiter(ress) bring you everything as opposed to the buffet. Please share with me your tipping guidelines for buffet/family style table service meals.

renecat
08-24-2010, 11:25 AM
My experiance with the buffets have been that your server spends a lot of time making sure you have everything you need. I tip 20% of the bill just like my TS meals. If some of your buffets are characater meals they also make sure the characters come to your table.

Goes4FastPass
08-24-2010, 11:26 AM
This has been dicussed before on this board - with strong opinions toward same and less.

We have observed servers at WDW buffets running their legs off taking care their guests and commented on how they work as hard as any WDW TS servers as we tipped them well. Yikes, what a family running back and forth to a buffet can do to a table!

and

We had buffet servers who took our drink orders, delivered one round of drinks, and were nowhere to be seen until finally showing up with our check.

I still believe in tip according to how good the service was though my wife would say I too often tip well even when the service was bad.

Sorry to ramble. Answer: We tip like other table service restaurants.

jonsmom
08-24-2010, 11:29 AM
This has been dicussed before on this board - with strong opinions toward same and less.

We have observed servers at WDW buffets running their legs off taking care their guests and commented on how they work as hard as any WDW TS servers as we tipped them well. Yikes, what a family running back and forth to a buffet can do to a table!

and

We had buffet servers who took our drink orders, delivered one round of drinks, and were nowhere to be seen until finally showing up with our check.

I still believe in tip according to how good the service was though my wife would say I too often tip well even when the service was bad.

Sorry to ramble. Answer: We tip like other table service restaurants.

I totally agree - if they are working hard, tip normal, otherwise..do what you would at home.

mainstdisney
08-24-2010, 12:09 PM
Something to remember if you party is larger than 6 - not the traditional 8 - they will automatically add an 18% tip to the bill. This is true if it's a buffet or normal table service.

#1donaldfan
08-24-2010, 12:39 PM
No matter....buffet, or 4 / 5 / 6 course meal, and especially if a party of 6 your gonna be paying 18% !! They deserve it in most cases, they are so busy and juggling mulitple tables, I couldn't do it !! :thumbsup:

sydzach
08-24-2010, 01:28 PM
Thanks for the replies, it will only be a party of 5 for us but I get the general consensus. I will just play it by ear, if they only get us drinks one time or don't give us much service, I will be less inclined to give a big tip. If they treat us really well, I will likewise tip them really well. I like to reward great service with great tip but I don't like to HAVE to tip a certain amount if the service is average to poor. In most cases I go 20% but for buffets I just thought it might be less-guess again just depends on the service rendered. Thanks everyone.

jonsmom
08-24-2010, 01:30 PM
Thanks for the replies, it will only be a party of 5 for us but I get the general consensus. I will just play it by ear, if they only get us drinks one time or don't give us much service, I will be less inclined to give a big tip. If they treat us really well, I will likewise tip them really well. I like to reward great service with great tip but I don't like to HAVE to tip a certain amount if the service is average to poor. In most cases I go 20% but for buffets I just thought it might be less-guess again just depends on the service rendered. Thanks everyone.

Definitely the way to go - we are going in April & I plan on doing the same

Ms. Mode
08-24-2010, 02:13 PM
When they bring the bill Disney tells you what the appropriate tip would be, both high end and low. If you aren't that happy with the service they suggest the low end tip. :thumbsup:

sydzach
08-24-2010, 04:04 PM
So if you are on the dining plan, they still bring you the bill and at that point you give them your key/ticket and they deduct the meal off your plan? Sorry, probably a stupid question but again I am a rookie on the DP so I am not sure how it works when it comes to settling the bill. I obviously know that I will have an account set up for myself and my party with my meal count on it and also know that each receipt will then show you how many meals/snacks you have left, but not sure how you provide payment for the individual meal.

I love the idea of them providing you the high and low amount, great idea and considering how bad at math I am, I can use all the help I can get in figuring the correct/expected tip. This is why I typically go 20%, easier math for me!! :thumbsup:

LudwigVonDrake
08-24-2010, 09:03 PM
Usually it tells you on he bill what an 18% and a 20% tip would be. They make it easy for you ;)

beksy
08-25-2010, 08:31 AM
So if you are on the dining plan, they still bring you the bill and at that point you give them your key/ticket and they deduct the meal off your plan? Sorry, probably a stupid question but again I am a rookie on the DP so I am not sure how it works when it comes to settling the bill. I obviously know that I will have an account set up for myself and my party with my meal count on it and also know that each receipt will then show you how many meals/snacks you have left, but not sure how you provide payment for the individual meal.

It can be confusing! I've used it multiple times and still get confused! The wait staff are great at explaining what is covered so don't be afraid to ask. As for the bill, your server will ask if you are on the plan. We showed our card at the beginning so they could see the type of plan I believe (regular, deluxe, cs) and then at the end we gave it to them like we were paying with a credit card. You can then charge the tip to your card/room or use another method of payment. They are great at walking you through it! Enjoy :mickey:

lighteningqueen
08-25-2010, 07:06 PM
They give you choices on the end of your receipt either 18% or 20%. You have to be the judge on the buffets and how many times they come and get refills or pick you dishes up. I would not go lower than 15% on the buffet..