PDA

View Full Version : Dining review 8/15 - 8/21

amy-rella
08-23-2010, 12:54 PM
Coral Reef
We were pleasantly surprised at this restaurant since it seems to get mixed reviews. It was DH's favorite meal of the trip. He had the fish of the day (Swordfish) and I had the Mahi Mahi. Both were cooked to perfection and were delicious. Our DD10 had the salmon. She liked it, but it did not "wow" any of us. DD7 had cheese pizza. We would definitely eat here again; however I was dissappointed in the dessert (the chocolate wave). It was an upside down chocolate cupcake dusted with powdered sugar and served with whipped cream & berries. I've seen photos of something entirely different and this clearly was not what I was expecting. All in all though, the meal was great. Super atmosphere, too.

Rose & Crown
I had a hard time deciding whether or not to keep this ressie. we had never dined here before and were wondering if we'd like it or not. The ressie time was for 7:45 so we showed up slightly early to see if we could score an outdoor table. No such luck; however the people who just walked up and got a reservation for 5 in front of me (no ADR) was able to sit outside. :thedolls: The food was just ok. DH and I both got the surf & turf. My steak was chewy. I didn't want to send it back and wait for a new one because the service was super slow and we wanted to see Iluminations. DD10 had the fish and chips - it was way too much food for a 10 year old. DD7 had the beefy macaroni and liked it. We ended up getting our desserts to go since we were running out of time. Our server was trying to "discourage" us from seeing the show in the reserved section behind the restaurant because he said the smoke often moves to their side of World Showcase. :confused: He was really doing his best to convince us not to see it from that area. We still asked for it anyway and luckily no smoke blew our way. We will probably not return to this restaurant again.

Crystal Palace - Dinner
This is one of my favorites and we all enjoyed our dinner here. I was a little dissappinted with the dessert selections this time. The tiramasu did not taste anything like it was supposed to - it just tasted like vanilla pudding dusted with cocoa powder. And they did not have the Boston Cream pie that I remembered having the last time we were there. Our server rudely reminded that gratuity was not included on the dining plan. Yes, I already knew that. Even though we did leave her a tip, I felt that it was not warranted since I waited twice for a refill and all she really had to do was bring us drinks and clear our dirty dishes. I've been a server before so I understand the importance of tipping. This to me was very rude and uncalled for.

Garden Grill
Our family loves GG! The food is yummy and the character interaction is one of the best on property. This time, it did not dissappoint. Instead of the catfish, they had Mahi Mahi and it was delicious! We will definitely return to the GG!

1900 Park Fare
We had a 4:50 ADR and we were not seated until about 6:30! :mad: We went up to the hostess desk twice to make sure our name was still on the list. The CM explained that they overbooked and were running behind. Once we finally were seated, the characters made their way around and were fun and attentive to our DDs. The food was ok. I did enjoy the dessert bar here. Other than the long wait, I would recommend it to any Cinderella fan.

Prime Time 50's Cafe
This was a first for our family and we enjoyed our meal here! Our cousin was not too mean, but she did play around with us a little. My DD had the steak, I had the tuna noodle dish and DD10 had the fried chicken. The tuna noodle dish was dry and not that good. I ended up sharing DD's fried chicken which turned out ok because the serving was huge! We both enjoyed it. DD7 had the chicken noodle soup and a hot dog. We all enjoyed our desserts: Hot fudge sundae, S'mores, and the brownie sundae. We will definitely be back again.

O'hana - breakfast
My DD10 is a huge Lilo & Stitch fan which is why we booked the breakfast here. It was a nice place and the food was great. We all loved the sweet bread and the juice! The character interaction was a little hectic because the area we sat in was tight with lots of tables, but we were all pleased with everything. We will definitely be back.

Quick Service meals:
Cosmic Ray's
We dined with Sunny Eclipse in Tomorrowland. The seating was a nightmare - hardly any tables were open. We were lucky enough to snag a table just as a family was leaving. We even had a late lunch (around 2:30) to avoid the seating fiasco but it was still packed. The food was decent and I love the toppings bar. We all had burgers. I was glad to see the cheese sauce was still available! The chocolate cake and carrot cake desserts were not very good - both were stale and just not very appetizing.

Columbia Harbour House
We all loved it here - it was our first time dining at this CS location! I had the tuna sandwich, DH and both DDs had the Chicken / Fish combos. We ate upstairs and felt relaxed while here. The dessert here were the best CS dessert we had all week - Apple Crisp. Too bad it wasn't a la mode, but it was still very good!

Sunshine Seasons
All of us enjoyed our meals and desserts here. DH had the Rotisserie Chicken, DD10 had a Ceasar Salad, and I had the Spicy Cashew Chicken. DD7 had the PB&J meal kit. We all were happy with the meal and were dissappointed that we couldn't go back there again this trip for another CS meal - we ran out of time to visit again!

Diamond Horseshoe Review
We were pleasantly surprised at this CS. The food was fresh and it was not very crowded so it was nice and cool in the restaurant. We had a late lunch, right before the 3:00 parade so we were able to enjoy lunch, then walk out on the front porch and watch the whole parade in the shade. DH had the bbq turkey, DD10 had the tuna croissant, DD7 and I both had the carved turkey sandwich. Again - the desserts of chocolate and carrot cake were not that great, but the meal itself was. And we were happy to find a not-so-crowded location that was cool and relaxing.

ABC Commisary
I know not a lot of people like this CS location, but my family does. DH and I both had the Chicken Bleu sandwich, DD10 had the double cheeseburger (way too much food for her), and DD7 had the chicken nuggets. The chocolate mousse dessert was very good compared to the usual stale cake selections at the other CS spots.

Yak & Yeti Counter Service
DH and I both had the Honey Chicken and DD10 had the sweet & sour chicken. DD7 had the Chicken bites. All of us were pleased. We had the frozen lemonade for dessert, which was a great choice because all of us were very hot!! There were not many shady places to eat at this location, but we were lucky to find one.

I have mixed feelings about the Dining plan. We felt that we spent a lot of time waiting for ADRs when we could have been doing something else with our precious Disney park time. Since it was free, it is hard to complain, but we might try to do the counter service dining plan the next time and just pay out of pocket for one or two sit down meals. It really is too much food, especially for our DD10 who is considered an adult by Disney standards. The dessert selections for the CS meals could use some major improvements. All in all we did have some nice experiences and Disney kept us full!! :mickey:

MississippiDisneyFreak
08-23-2010, 01:27 PM
Thanks for the reviews....

I have to comment on the experience with the waiter from R&C...he may have actually been sincere in helping you avoid smoke...on our last trip we sat in the handicapped section just to the right of this restaurant for Illuminations...we got spewed with ashes and smoke and I ended up getting ashes in my eyes and ruining my contact...it was very painful too...so it does happen. Glad you had a good experience though:)

GusNJacque
08-23-2010, 01:55 PM
Thanks for the review.

In regard to the guy from R & C---Uhhhhh doesn't it depend on which way the wind is blowing? ;)

DisneyBunch5
08-23-2010, 02:07 PM
Thanks for the great reviews.

On a side note, we also found that the adult meals are too large for our 12 yr old. I imagine that some seniors feel the same way. It would be great to have a junior/senior option available offering adult choices, but smaller portions.

BluewaterBrad
08-23-2010, 04:12 PM
Thanks for the report!:mickey:

Wall-e
08-24-2010, 02:58 PM
Thanks for the reviews! You mentioned that it was too much food for your 10 year old. Do you think the kid portions would have been enough? Would she have become bored with limited options for the kid menus? My son will turn 10 two weeks after our trip, but I am considering saying he is 10 and paying for the adult plan because I am concerned about the child portion being too small. I think I will have to get him adult park tickets too, so I want to really think this through!

Thanks!

Joannelet
08-24-2010, 06:22 PM
Sunshine Seasons
All of us enjoyed our meals and desserts here. DH had the Rotisserie Chicken, DD10 had a Ceasar Salad, and I had the Spicy Cashew Chicken. DD7 had the PB&J meal kit. We all were happy with the meal and were dissappointed that we couldn't go back there again this trip for another CS meal - we ran out of time to visit again!

Where is this counterservice? I don't recognize the name....
Great report! I enjoyed it because most of these are restaurants I have not eaten in and/or restaurants that I was there for a different meal.
I enjoyed reading! I too think the dining plan is way too much food. I actually gained 5 lbs on my disney trip last December. But I had to pay for the dining plan so I felt like I had to eat. I will not be doing that again that is for sure. I am a small person and that is just way too much food for me!

MinnieMommie
08-24-2010, 10:12 PM
Sunshine Seasons is in the Land Pavilion.

Great reviews - thanks! :mickey:

beksy
08-26-2010, 08:43 AM
Thanks for the great reviews! We have ADRs at many of these so I'm glad to hear a recent report.

amy-rella
08-26-2010, 10:32 PM
Thanks for the reviews! You mentioned that it was too much food for your 10 year old. Do you think the kid portions would have been enough? Would she have become bored with limited options for the kid menus? My son will turn 10 two weeks after our trip, but I am considering saying he is 10 and paying for the adult plan because I am concerned about the child portion being too small. I think I will have to get him adult park tickets too, so I want to really think this through!

Thanks!

She definitely would have been bored with the kid menus. It seems like there is no happy medium - it's either too much food or too little food! She is not a picky eater so the adult menu was a better choice for her. I think the child portion would have been too small. Too bad there isn't another option for that age group.

amy-rella
08-26-2010, 10:34 PM
I too think the dining plan is way too much food. I actually gained 5 lbs on my disney trip last December. But I had to pay for the dining plan so I felt like I had to eat. I will not be doing that again that is for sure. I am a small person and that is just way too much food for me!
I also gained 5lbs and I thought sure that I had walked those extra calories off during our stay! I'm not a small person and I still thought it was was too much food! But hey, it's vacation, right? :blush:

cer
08-27-2010, 11:05 AM

Thanks!

We have done this and I was glad we did. When my son was 8, he did not like the choices on the kids menu, so the next year, when he was 9 - we went on ahead and got the adult dining plan. It worked for us. Sure the rates were higher, but we are going to pay the higher rates from here on out, just started earlier and were happy with it. Good luck! :mickey:

cer
08-27-2010, 11:06 AM
Thanks for the reviews! :mickey:

PlutoPlanet
08-27-2010, 12:19 PM
Sunshine Seasons is really good. Great variety. Quality entrees and desserts.
We eat there once or twice every year.