PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Trip Report (Shhhh, it's a surprise!)

drevlo
08-23-2010, 01:07 AM
Good day, fellow Intercotters!
This is a bit of an unusual post, but I could not help but share.
This is going to be a “Pre-Trip” report, which will be followed up with a standard trip report once we return. I am doing it this way, because the trip is a surprise…and the suspense from not being able to tell anyone is killing me! :D I have to get it off my chest.
Here’s the deal:
Our family (Me, wife, 12yr old Daughter, 8yr old son) has annual passes, and we try to make it down to the DLR twice a year from Northern California.
Our son is tall enough to ride everything at the DLR except the Mali-boomer. Each of the past few years, he’s had to watch as my Daughter and I fly up into the heavens, while he waits back on Earth with Mom. As you can imagine, this can be quite frustrating for our little guy.
Well, the other day he came flying down the stairs super excited. He had just measured himself, and he was 52.5 inches…tall enough to ride Mali-boomer! My wife and I reconfirmed his height, and sent him on his happy way.
Well that night I wanted to confirm that the height requirement was still 52”. A quick web search confirmed it…but I also ran into the news about the attraction being closed after Labor Day weekend. Gulp!
Our Family vacation is not until November. Double gulp!
The solution?
Well, thanks to an amazingly understanding wife, and a selfless Daughter…I will be picking up my boy from school early this Thursday, and taking him to the DLR on Thursday night and Friday, so that he can finally get his ride on the Mali-boomer…before it’s gone forever.
I can only imagine what his reaction will be like.
Getting to do things like this is one of my favorite parts of being a parent.
I look forward to writing up a post trip report for you all after our return!

Magic Smiles
08-23-2010, 07:02 AM
WOW, what an amazing thing to do for your son. As you said that is part of what makes being a parent so special. As my son would say the "just because" gifts. Gifts that are given for no reason at all.
Hope you both have a blast!

Disney4us2
08-23-2010, 10:53 AM
Wow, what a nice supprise. I am sure you and your DS will have a great time.:thumbsup:

I remember when my DD was not tall enough and when she was she couldn't wait to ride. Now that she can, she chooses not to ride (unless we are there with friends). Go figure.

robnadina
08-23-2010, 03:23 PM
That is so sweet! I love it when I can do something for my DD just because. The looks on their faces are so priceless. Hope you have a great time and I look forward to reading your DS reaction.

NotaGeek
08-23-2010, 06:48 PM
:thumbsup:

Have a great time!

drevlo
08-24-2010, 03:36 AM
Thanks so much, everyone!
I'm sure that we'll have a wonderful time.
It'll be our first real, "Father/Son" getaway...so I'm really looking forward to it as well.
I hear that the crowds are supposed to be bumping up a bit later this week, since the SoCal AP's aren't blacked out...but as long as we get on our faves (and see World of Color!) we'll be fine.

Cheers!

NotaGeek
08-24-2010, 12:13 PM
Thanks so much, everyone!
I'm sure that we'll have a wonderful time.
It'll be our first real, "Father/Son" getaway...so I'm really looking forward to it as well.
I hear that the crowds are supposed to be bumping up a bit later this week, since the SoCal AP's aren't blacked out...but as long as we get on our faves (and see World of Color!) we'll be fine.

Cheers!
I believe this is one of the first weekends that passes aren't blacked out -- make sure to get in line EARLY for your WOC fast passes or maybe the picnic lunch might be a nice treat for the father/son outing and then it won't be so manic in the evening when you line up to see WOC? Either way, good luck and have a great time!