PDA

View Full Version : Ever change resorts?

BellesRose
08-22-2010, 06:11 PM
Have you ever been so disappointed with your resort that you changed to a different one when you got there?

We have 4 nights booked for the Fort Wilderness Cabins after hearing how wonderful they are and seeing pictures on Disney's website. However, after watching Youtube videos, I'm very worried. The cabins look old, tiny, dirty, and outdated. I'm afraid we're going to get there and be grossed out. I'm already stressing about it...

faline
08-22-2010, 07:24 PM
Folks typically like the cabins very much. We've stayed there several times and enjoyed them each time.

We did run into an issue on a trip in May. We thought we had booked a king bed room at Port Orleans French Quarter but our reseveration got messed up when we rebooked at a lower rate. Disney was wonderful. There were no king bed rooms available but we were able to move over to Coronado Springs into a room with queen beds.

BellesRose
08-22-2010, 07:52 PM
The reason we chose the cabins:
The price was right
4 adults need 4 beds
Love Fort Wilderness

Normally, we go for a 1 bedroom villa at Wilderness Lodge. But this was cheaper and we'd be able to sleep in our own beds.

I guess I would be willing to compromise space for cleanliness. If it's not as clean as my standards, I'm gone.

I did look for some videos of the villas to compare them to the cabins...I think it is possibly poor quality videos that make the cabins look less than magical. But it will calm my nerves to know that if we need to switch resorts, Disney will work with us.

faline
08-22-2010, 08:13 PM
I can tell you that, when we stayed in the cabins, we had daily mousekeeping service. Even if we left a coffee cup in the sink, they would put it in the dishwasher and run the dishwasher! We never had a problem with the cleanliness of the cabins.

Mousemates
08-23-2010, 10:33 AM
we loved our stay at the cabins and when we finally finish up our quest to stay at them all at least once, there is a pretty good chance we will make the cabins our "home resort." The mousekeeping services during our stay was as good as any "regular resort" we have stayed in. my guess is that you won't want to change resorts after you get there.

HackLaSalle
08-23-2010, 01:01 PM
Should be no worries for staying at the cabins, I've stayed with 4 and 5 adults. It was clean, up to date and a fun place.

W24toISMdirect
08-23-2010, 01:07 PM
Two trips to FW Cabins over the past year. It's our go-to place when we have the full gang along (staying at POFQ this fall because there's only 3 of us this time). It's nice, roomy, clean quiet, and terrific.

If it makes you feel any better, they are in fact less "cabins" and more a two room hotel suites in a self-contained trailer with wood panneling tacked on. Plenty modern, plenty clean... transportation is great, everything is close by... you'll do fine. Keep in mind Ft. Wilderness is still Disney World.... it's not like you getting dumped in the woods.

TikiLounger
08-23-2010, 01:13 PM
We had no problems, either. We loved the cabins. As others have said before me, cleanliness (or lack there of) was not an issue. I wouldn't really call them out-of-date, either. The theming IS in keeping with the rustic, cabiny-feel so, but I found them adorable and very spacious. To answer your question about changing resorts...we never had to, but we've had to change rooms in the same resort. I'm sure that's a lot easier for management to arrange, but, if you're so dissatisfied that you feel you just have no other option, I'd like to think that they'd do their best to accomodate you.

MississippiDisneyFreak
08-23-2010, 01:15 PM
I would think moving you would depend on availability....if you are there during the holidays it probably wouldn't be possible...I had some friends book All Stars last year and they did not like it, DW was able to move them to the Contemporary but of course they had to pay the difference and it was off season.....

ANG
08-23-2010, 01:16 PM
We're considering the cabins for next year. Thanks for the info!

afowl1017
08-23-2010, 01:57 PM
In 2006 my family of four moved from POP to CB resort for a couple of reasons. (The room smelled like smoke, cast member came and tried to get rid of the smell, but it didn't work, and it was just too noisy for the baby and for me.) So we decided to up grade to CB. It took a while to be switched partly because we didn't have our own vehicle, but Disney was awesome and drove us in a passenger van like the ones they use for the visits to a DVC. Once we got to BC we had to pay the difference but we were so happy with the switch!

So it is doable only if there is room at the resort you want to switch to. The CM are great and very accommodating. If for some reason you should be unhappy with the cabins (but I bet you'll be very pleased) things can be worked out. Just be ready to pay the difference, if there is one.

Hope you trip is lovely! :mickey:

BellesRose
08-23-2010, 02:08 PM
In some of the videos I looked at, there were people smoking in the cabins. I doubt that I will happen to get that cabin, but I'm highly allergic to cigarette smoke and deathly allergic to cats and dogs. The CM I spoke to while making the reservations assured me there would be no problems with smoking or pets.

I have changed resorts in the past. We had a sewer back-up or something in our POR room. The manager didn't believe us but we were gagging when we walked in the room. He came down and insisted that he didn't smell anything, but when we refused to stay, we were finally able to move to a deluxe.

The only reason I'm concerned is because we don't have the extra money to change rooms this trip. But again, Disney has worked with us in the past, and reading all these comments has definitely helped me to relax a bit. Thanks :D

PopPhan
08-23-2010, 02:13 PM
In some of the videos I looked at, there were people smoking in the cabins. I doubt that I will happen to get that cabin, but I'm highly allergic to cigarette smoke and deathly allergic to cats and dogs. The CM I spoke to while making the reservations assured me there would be no problems with smoking or pets.

I have changed resorts in the past. We had a sewer back-up or something in our POR room. The manager didn't believe us but we were gagging when we walked in the room. He came down and insisted that he didn't smell anything, but when we refused to stay, we were finally able to move to a deluxe.

The only reason I'm concerned is because we don't have the extra money to change rooms this trip. But again, Disney has worked with us in the past, and reading all these comments has definitely helped me to relax a bit. Thanks :D

There is no smoking in ANY of the WDW resorts any longer. You were probably looking at an older video, before that policy went into effect.

GusNJacque
08-23-2010, 02:33 PM
I'm staying in the cabins for the first time too--so I understand where you are coming from.

Make sure they note on your ressie that you are allergic to smoke/animals. If you get there and you detect any one of those immediately get in touch with the front desk. You can't risk your health.

I you tubes the decorations at Ft Wilderness and am super excited to explore it all.

Good luck to you!

BellesRose
08-23-2010, 02:56 PM
There is no smoking in ANY of the WDW resorts any longer. You were probably looking at an older video, before that policy went into effect.
I never knew that smoking was allowed in some resorts! Glad to know that is no longer the case :thumbsup:

I'm bringing along all of my Disney Halloween decorations to decorate the cabin! We'll probably be the only ones celebrating Halloween in early September :secret:

faline
08-23-2010, 03:01 PM
I never knew that smoking was allowed in some resorts! Glad to know that is no longer the case :thumbsup:

I remember the days when we specifically needed to request a "no smoking" room when making our reservations. All "no smoking" rooms used to have a little "no smoking" sign hanging outside the door.

W24toISMdirect
08-23-2010, 03:13 PM
Yes, no smoking/no pets. Important note for the allergic.

Fastpasssteve
08-23-2010, 11:57 PM
Dear BellesRose,

You need more real worries and fewer imaginary ones. Playing the 'what if' game will only drive you crazy on vacation and in the real world.

Be at ease. Close friends of mine just returned from a wonderful week there in the cabins. They loved them. Even when they washed the dishes themselves (to be polite), Mousekeeping still re-washed all the dishes. To say that Mousekeeping was thorough would be an understatement.

You will enjoy the cabins immensely. The only drawback will be transportation to and from the parks. The cabins, themselves, are a delight.

You will enjoy your vacation a lot better if you don't go to Florida with an ulcer.

BellesRose
08-24-2010, 04:29 PM
We have stayed at all the All-Star Resorts and the Pop Century and hated it. Too small and dirty. And like I said, tried the POR but didn't stay for the night. We're used to the Villas now...the only dirt we've ever found there wasn't even dirt...just spider webs which my dad cleaned because we couldn't get through to the front desk.

We are excited either way! Just over 2 weeks left :number1:

faline
08-24-2010, 05:24 PM
We have stayed at all the All-Star Resorts and the Pop Century and hated it. Too small and dirty.

I've stayed at both resorts and never found either one dirty. The rooms are certainly smaller than those found at moderate and deluxe level but they were certainly clean.

brownie
08-25-2010, 06:52 AM
We've never had a problem with our resorts and have never changed to resorts due to problems. We've had trips where we've split our stays, but that was planned up front.

wmdaddy
08-26-2010, 01:32 PM
We changed resorts this past trip. We started out at the Yacht Club, but we just didn't care for it. We moved over to the Polynesian. Much preferred it.

Lizzie
08-26-2010, 03:26 PM
Is it possible to book two cabins right next to each other? We seem to go with other people right now and would be nice to stay next to each other.

BellesRose
09-10-2010, 11:13 AM
Yup, well the time has come to check in and we did NOT stay at the cabins. It was so disgusting and stirred up our allergies so bad that everyone had to take benadryl after being there for 5 minutes, so we left. I'll put it all in my trip report (Posting in a few days from now).

But in case anyone else is wondering...yes, Disney is excellent at switching Resorts for any reason.

faline
09-10-2010, 11:37 AM
Yup, well the time has come to check in and we did NOT stay at the cabins. It was so disgusting and stirred up our allergies so bad that everyone had to take benadryl after being there for 5 minutes, so we left.

Sorry the cabins didn't work out for you. It's been some years but we always enjoyed our stayed in Fort Wilderness - particularly in the cabins!