PDA

View Full Version : too cold to swim in january?

WDWdreamin
08-22-2010, 12:40 PM
my family and i have always visited WDW in the summer or fall when the temperatures are still high. we are considering a trip in jan....i know the pools are heated but is it usually too cold to go swimming? we have always loved using the pools and would hate to miss out on it because of the weather.......:confused:

MNNHFLTX
08-22-2010, 12:48 PM
That depends. There's always a chance of moderate temps in January (usually not more than the 70's, however) and swimming could be quite pleasant. Even if it's chilly, the heated water temperature will actually feel comfortable when you're in the pool. It's when you come out of the pool that you might get the shivers. In my experience there is always someone swimming in the pools, even when it's in the 40-50's.

Melanie
08-22-2010, 01:07 PM
I remember we swam in January a few years back. It was comfortable in the pool, but a chilly walk back to the room.

Now this past January when temps were in the teens....no way. :freeze:

BrerGnat
08-22-2010, 03:36 PM
When I was there in January a few years back, there was NO WAY I'd consider swimming. Not even going in the hot tub. It was FREEZING the entire week we were there, and rainy a lot too. We all ended up having to purchase heavy hooded sweatshirts, gloves, and scarves to keep warm. It was sort of unpleasantly cold.

You can bring your swimsuits...you might get lucky and have a heat wave, but don't count on it.

TammiMcMan
08-22-2010, 03:52 PM
Sorry, but as you can see, there's no definitive answer to your question. It all depends on where you're coming from (ie what do you consider "cold"), how adventurous your family might be and of course weather conditions during your vacation.

On the plus side, bathing suits don't take up much room in the luggage, so I'd include them and just see what happens.

WDWdreamin
08-22-2010, 03:59 PM
we are coming from upstate NY so we are used to "cold" in january....just not swimming during that time-lol....thanks for the great information, it looks like its hit or miss.

RedSoxFan
08-22-2010, 04:19 PM
DD is hoping it's warm enough to swim in December. I'll be happy if it's just not cold!!

Humphrey
08-22-2010, 05:41 PM
Pools are usually heated to 84 degrees. Don't use last winter as any kind of a guide for what winter will be like this year. Last year's winter was unusually cool and for extended periods of time. We don't usually have weeks where we have to wear long sleeved shirts, maybe even a light jacket. Last year there were a few times when a sweater and heavy jacket were needed. Most unusual.

Renfairwedding
08-22-2010, 05:51 PM
My Grandmother always said you only see the tourist I the water in January.

Since I fit that description at Disney, you will always find me in the pool when not in the parks.
:thumbsup:

irish1967
08-22-2010, 06:05 PM
I have been to WDW in January the last 3 years. We have had weather that ranged from hot to "I bought a sweatshirt to wear under my winter coat!"

I've learned to pack for all kinds of weather.

I would say, pack the swim suits but be prepared not to use them.

Have a great trip!

LudwigVonDrake
08-22-2010, 06:07 PM
The pools are heated. if it's chilly/cold bring a sweatshirt or a robe with you to the pool and then run as fast as you can to get back to your room when you're done swimming :D

CaptSmee
08-22-2010, 09:50 PM
we are coming from upstate NY so we are used to "cold" in january....just not swimming during that time-lol....thanks for the great information, it looks like its hit or miss.

We're from Syracuse, snow capital of the US and January is too cold for us to swim when we visit.

mermaidmarian
08-23-2010, 08:27 AM
During our one trip in December, I found it too chilly to be outside of the pool when wet. My DS and nephew didn't really seem to mind, but it tempered my enthusiasm for swimming. If swimming is a high value activity for you, I would do as others have suggested; have a robe or some other wrap available to use once you get out of the water.

Joannelet
08-23-2010, 09:32 AM
When I was a cast member there in 1998 I would swim in December (I am from NJ)
On my past trips in December I didn't go swimming but one of the days was in the 70's and my hubby went in.
So like previous posts mentioned that time of year is a hit or miss. I would just bring your bathing suits just in case there will be a moment where you can go in. :)

Mousemates
08-23-2010, 10:22 AM
well...hate to give the classic waffle answer, but the truth is it depends...we have for the last several years celbrated news years at WDW and stayed over until the kids Christmas break ended and have had weather that ranged formafternoon highs in the mid 80s to mornings where it had dropped into the upper 20s. My advice is to watch the weather...and if there is an unusually warm day make the most of it for water activities.

#1donaldfan
08-23-2010, 12:10 PM
It's a safe bet to say that ordinarily you'll be able to swim in Jan.....the heated pools feel great, but getting out is the problem....!!! :mickey:

W24toISMdirect
08-23-2010, 12:59 PM
I have been ther when it was more than warm enough to swim at midnight on Christmas Eve, and I've been there when I it cool enough to wear jackets during the day and not even consider swimming durng the day in March.

It's also not uncommon to have high temps very by 30-40 degrees between two consecutive days during the "cold" seaon, which is to say I've seen a high of 50 one and 87 the next.

In short... there is no real good answer. Literally anything is possible.

Edit: I will say that as a general rule, for our off-season trips there have been days we could and days we couldn't each time.

disneykid99
08-24-2010, 07:33 AM
We have seen people swimming in Dec and Feb. Too cool for us but you are on vacation so go for it:thumbsup:

AntMagsMom
08-24-2010, 12:51 PM
We stayed at AKL this year the first week in February and the main pool was actually closed but if it had been open my kids definitely would have gone swimming. It was chilly some days so we didn't bother to go over to the other part to use their pool but if ours had been, they defintely would have swam.

droopy d.
08-27-2010, 05:39 PM
We were just there the last week of jan. first week of feb my kids swam almost daily but i thought it was to cold to swim i got in the hot tub once. the temp for the max temp when we were there was 76 degrees and that was the day we left. We love oct and will probably never go any other time again.

ibelieveindisneymagic
08-27-2010, 06:43 PM
I'm glad to hear that we won't be the only crazy people in the pool this coming January. DD lives to swim, so no matter how cold, she'll be there.

I'm glad to hear that there may be some days where it will be warm enough to actually enjoy it.