PDA

View Full Version : WL or YC?

SteveO
08-22-2010, 12:19 PM
Greetings;

Planning an early December visit to WDW; last visit was first stay at WL and loved it. I want to stay at one of the Epcot resorts as I spend most of my time at Epcot and the Studios so being close to MK is not that big of a deal for me. Very much thinking about the YC. So here's the question: I really liked the smaller size of WL; I had a Woods View that totally worked for me. I felt like I complely escaped when I was in my room and would not hesitate staying there in that type of room again.

Knowing the I liked the size and tranquility of the WL, will the larger size of the YC bum me out? If I request something "quiet" will that put me "miles" away from the lobby or bus stops? I really like the idea of walking home from Illuminations at the end of the day. And the BC seems a bit crazier so that puts me at the YC. I should add that I solo traveler.

MNNHFLTX
08-22-2010, 12:54 PM
I don't think you will be disappointed by the Yacht Club--it has a very subdued feeling to it. If you're concerned about not being far away from bus stops and the lobby, then just include that request with your reservation. I find it hard to believe that any room at YC would be noisy in any way, except maybe if you have one right off of one of the pools (same is true of the Beach Club--the rooms are generally very quiet).

However, if the theming and atmosphere of Wilderness Lodge still appeals to you, there's nothing wrong with staying there again. It's one of my favorite resorts (the Polynesian being the other).

klb
08-22-2010, 12:57 PM
I haven't stayed at the WL, but I can imagine how nice the tranquility of a woods view must have been after a long day in the parks. We've stayed at the YC and BCV. We had a standard room at the BCV, but it very well could have been promoted as a woods view. It was very quiet (even though it was the beginning of the peak travel season that year). We do, however, prefer the decor at the Yacht Club. The location of the YC/BC can't be beat. We could walk to EPCOT or the Studios and also walk through EPCOT to get to the monrail for the Magic Kingdom. I love the area around Crescent Lake and can't say enough good things about it.

disneymom2000
08-22-2010, 04:10 PM
When I stayed at the Yacht Club, I even had a balcony room and it was very quiet. I liked it because the theming is geared more towards the older adult clients so the resort tends to lean to the quiet side but it is so beautiful.:vacation:

TammiMcMan
08-22-2010, 04:18 PM
There's no denying the YC is a bit more spread out, which translates to some extra walking. Also, IMO, some room locations resemble a rabbits den. That being said though, I really enjoy the YC. A few suggestions that may make your stay a little better, is to avoid booking a standard view. You really do need to spend some extra money and get either garden or water. A majority of the standards overlook the parking lot. I'd also request something near the gazebo/quiet pool. It will add a few extra minutes to your walk home from Epcot, but it's a nice location. Quiet, but not too far from the lobby (transportation options).

BrerGnat
08-22-2010, 05:55 PM
I just want to add that the entire Crescent Lake area is incredibly peaceful and secluded feeling in its own way. We have stayed at WL as well, so I can definitely compare for you (we stayed BC on our last trip).

What is great about Crescent Lake is that on the YC/BC side, at night it's rather quiet. The twinkling lights from the Boardwalk across the way reflect off the water, but you get none of the noise/craziness of that area.

In fact, DH's first comment about it, on our arrival night as we walked back to the BC from dinner at the Dolphin was "I like this area...we could be anywhere. It doesn't even feel like we are at Disney World right now; it's so quiet."

So, I think you will find the peacefulness you are looking for at the YC. Early mornings around the lake are also incredibly peaceful AND beautiful.

I'd request a Garden View, as recommended. Ask for a room close to the lobby, so you will face one of the smaller interior couryards or exterior garden areas in the parts of the hotel where the corners are.

Mousemates
08-23-2010, 10:56 AM
well, the good news is that you can't go wrong with either choice. We booked a standard view at the yacht club and were upgraded to a garden view (which actually had a pretty nice view of the marina area and the mast of the ship at stormalong bay)...and while we were a bit distant from the lobby...a direct walk to our room (bypassing the lobby and many hallway turns) along of the front the resort made it quite convenient.

SteveO
08-24-2010, 07:50 PM
I've decided to go with the YC. I'm going to go with a garden/water view and request something quiet and near the lobby. Appreciate the responses.