PDA

View Full Version : Free day at POR where should we lunch?

merrymouse
08-22-2010, 11:05 AM
I may have a free day at POR with no park tickets. We are having dinner at T-rex for the kids at night where should we lunch? I was thinking maybe somewhere in the boardwalk area as I have never been there. I don't know how I would get there from POR either. Im thinking boardwalk but Im open to anything. Thanks

merrymouse
08-22-2010, 11:06 AM
Also, I forgot to note that this day dining with be OOP for us so we could go to any restaurant.

BugeyedMuggy
08-22-2010, 11:10 AM
If you have never been to AKL Saana is a great restaurant and you could stroll the grounds in both Kidani & Jambo. Lots to do there. During the day Jambo does alot of kids activities and anyone can join in. Just check the message board or ask concierge.

JPL
08-22-2010, 05:23 PM
If you are going to be in DTD Earl of Sandwich is great for lunch :thumbsup:

LudwigVonDrake
08-22-2010, 06:03 PM
See if you can get into the Kona Cafe at the Poly for lunch :tasty:

Carolanne
08-22-2010, 07:04 PM
If counter-service is an option: I'm actually a big fan :thumbsup:of the POR build-your-own-pasta-dish station at the foodcourt. When I stay at POFQ, I walk over to POR at least once during my stay to hit this station for lunch.

Mary Poppins fan
08-23-2010, 11:58 AM
I'd head to Downtown Disney (you can take the boat) and take it from there! :thumbsup:

#1donaldfan
08-23-2010, 12:14 PM
Since you gonna be at DtD for dinner, go to the boardwalk area and eat at Beaches N Cream for lunch....that a truly nice place, and good food !!!

faline
08-23-2010, 12:23 PM
To get to Boardwalk, I'd take the bus to Disney Studios and either walk or take the boat from this location.

At Boardwalk, you can go to the ESPN club or grab a sandwich at the Boardwalk Bakery. There are several other choices here as well. Someone has already mentioned Beaches & Cream located across from Boardwalk the Yacht & Beach Club.

#1donaldfan
08-24-2010, 12:43 PM
To get to Boardwalk, I'd take the bus to Disney Studios and either walk or take the boat from this location.

At Boardwalk, you can go to the ESPN club or grab a sandwich at the Boardwalk Bakery. There are several other choices here as well. Someone has already mentioned Beaches & Cream located across from Boardwalk the Yacht & Beach Club.

Yikes, I forgot to give you the directions .... we took the boat our last trip and loved it !! It was a bit slow and the bus may have been quicker, but it was a relaxing ride nonethless !!

merrymouse
08-29-2010, 03:45 PM
Great suggestions all Thanks! I think I will try the boardwalk area as I have never been there. Im going to check out the Beaches and Cream menu. So just to make sure there is no direct bus I have to bus to a HS then walk right? what is this boat you have mentioned?

MinnieMommie
08-29-2010, 03:54 PM
Boardwalk area is a fun place and we love Beaches and Cream!! One more suggestion:

To get to the Boardwalk area from POR you can take the boat to DD and take a Boardwalk (or Beach Club, Yacht Club bus - whatever bus comes first) to the Boardwalk area. If you take the Yacht Club, Beach Club bus it will be closest for dinning at Beaches and Cream. After dinning you can walk around the Boardwalk area or take a boat across. :mickey:

iloveokw
08-29-2010, 06:33 PM
With your kid's ages they might want to have a pool day. Then I would just eat at your resort. Don't miss Bob Jackson in the River Roost at PO Riverside!

BrerGnat
08-29-2010, 08:13 PM
I'd stay at the resort, eat in the foodcourt, and play in the pool for the day.

The food at T-Rex is rather "standard". If you go to a "burgers and fries" type place for lunch (Beaches and Cream, or ESPN Club, etc.), you'll likely end up finding the same types of foods on the T-Rex menu.

If you must go to Boardwalk, try Kouzzina or Flying Fish instead.

To be quite honest, I think a sit down lunch and dinner is a bit much. Your kids will spend about 3-4 hours of that day sitting in restaurants. A better use of your free time is enjoying your resort amenities or exploring Downtown Disney, where you will need to end up at dinnertime.

Earl of Sandwich at DtD is great. Wolfgang Puck Express is another favorite.

#1donaldfan
08-30-2010, 12:48 PM
Great suggestions all Thanks! I think I will try the boardwalk area as I have never been there. Im going to check out the Beaches and Cream menu. So just to make sure there is no direct bus I have to bus to a HS then walk right? what is this boat you have mentioned?

Take the bus to HS, then hop on the boat there and it'll take you to the Boardwalk area !!

Scar
08-30-2010, 02:36 PM
So just to make sure there is no direct bus I have to bus to a HS then walk right? what is this boat you have mentioned?No direct bus. The "Freindship Boat" goes from DHS -> Swan/Dolphin -> Yacht/Beach Clup -> Boardwalk -> Epcot, then back in reverse order. It is much quicker to walk the 3/4 mile walk from DHS to Boardwalk, and even more so during the slow time of day (like lunchtime.)

merrymouse
08-31-2010, 10:07 AM
No direct bus. The "Freindship Boat" goes from DHS -> Swan/Dolphin -> Yacht/Beach Clup -> Boardwalk -> Epcot, then back in reverse order. It is much quicker to walk the 3/4 mile walk from DHS to Boardwalk, and even more so during the slow time of day (like lunchtime.)Good info, thanks, I have never even heard of this. There is still so much I don't know. Does anyone know what the tran monorail is? Thats new to me also.

Take the bus to HS, then hop on the boat there and it'll take you to the Boardwalk area !!Thank you. I guess I better check out a map, I really don't fully understand the lay of the land and Im usually very good with direction. On to the maps for me!

I'd stay at the resort, eat in the foodcourt, and play in the pool for the day.

The food at T-Rex is rather "standard". If you go to a "burgers and fries" type place for lunch (Beaches and Cream, or ESPN Club, etc.), you'll likely end up finding the same types of foods on the T-Rex menu.

If you must go to Boardwalk, try Kouzzina or Flying Fish instead.

To be quite honest, I think a sit down lunch and dinner is a bit much. Your kids will spend about 3-4 hours of that day sitting in restaurants. A better use of your free time is enjoying your resort amenities or exploring Downtown Disney, where you will need to end up at dinnertime.

Earl of Sandwich at DtD is great. Wolfgang Puck Express is another favorite.Yes, I agree. We are going to try a CS place or food court for the first day. We are only going to T-Rex because my neighbors love it and they said its a great "kids" place for the first night big get together.

BrerGnat
08-31-2010, 12:37 PM
Yes, I agree. We are going to try a CS place or food court for the first day. We are only going to T-Rex because my neighbors love it and they said its a great "kids" place for the first night big get together.

On that note, be aware that there really isn't ANY counter service at the Epcot Resort Area (Boardwalk, BC/YC). All the restaurants are sit down. The only places you can get CS type food are at the Boardwalk Bakery (mostly desserts, but also some sandwiches and salads...small selection though), Hurricane Hannah's at Beach Club ("burgers and fries" CS place by the pool), and the Beach Club Marketplace, which makes about 3 kinds of "made to order" deli type sandwiches.

There is also a place at the Dolphin hotel called Picabus. Its' a 24 hour "cafeteria style" CS place. The food is pretty good there. It's on the bottom level of the Dolphin (which is also in the Epcot resort area).

You're a lot better off heading to Downtown Disney. There are more CS choices there.

And, do you mean the TRON Monorail? If so, it's just the regular monorail with an overlay to advertise Tron: Legacy (a movie). It runs the MK-Epcot loop.

disney_daddy
08-31-2010, 01:12 PM
We did Boardwalk in the middle of the afternoon this past year and really there wasn't that much to do after we ate. If I were you I'd eat at Downtown Disney.

DouieDan
09-02-2010, 11:16 PM
At the Boardwalk, I think one of the best places for lunch is the Big River grille. It is a brew pub with hand crafted beers, and a decent menu. It is a fun time at a resonable price. Beaches and Cream, which is located over at the Beach club, is not that great, unless you want a burger and a milkshake. I agree that taking a bus to Hollywood studios and then taking a boat to the boardwalk is a nice trip.

mainemajor
09-12-2010, 09:29 AM
If you are going to be in DTD Earl of Sandwich is great for lunch :thumbsup:

Another vote for Earl of Sandwich. You can take the boat from POR to DTD and that is a relaxing trip