PDA

View Full Version : To Cruise or Not to Cruise......???

countrycharmer
08-20-2010, 09:26 AM
Hi! We are incredibly torn right now and looking for past experience, etc., from those who can help:

We originally booked 15day 14 night WDW Christmas vacation.... now we found an 11 day cruise to Western Caribbean....

Trying to decide what might be the most memorable for all, yet still have that "Christmas Magic" for us... any help or recommendations? Two adults a 12 yo and a 14 yo.

BrerGnat
08-20-2010, 11:52 AM
If you're looking for "Christmas Magic", WDW will beat a cruise by FAR.

However, at WDW you'll also have to be dealing with huge crowds...

It's kind of hard to compare a trip to WDW with a cruise. They are two completely separate types of vacations.

I went on a cruise the week before Christmas (the cruise returned to port on Christmas Eve). I can tell you, the cruise ship was not decorated at ALL for Christmas. No mention of the holidays was ever made during the cruise. So, if that's the kind of ambiance you're looking for, don't expect to find it on a cruise. The cruise I took was just the same as the other three I've taken. All about relaxation, deck parties, bingo, etc.

Robbieligh
08-20-2010, 10:43 PM
We have been on the Disney 7 night cruise the week after Thanksgivinng 2 years ago and we are going again this year. The ship has always been decorated beautifully! I think the cruise would be a wonderful way to celebrate the Christmas season without the WDW crowds.

BrerGnat
08-21-2010, 03:33 PM
Oh, I should clarify that the cruise I went on before Christmas was NOT Disney Cruise Line. Apparently, DCL decorates their ships for Christmas. The cruise I went on (Royal Caribbean) had some poinsettas around the ship. That was the extend of the "Holiday" decorations.

I have to wonder if a BETTER question might be "Is there enough to do onboard a DCL ship for 11 nights, or will us (and our kids) be bored."

Those ships were built for shorter cruises. There is less to do, especially for the teenage set, in general. Ask yourself how you'll feel about 11 straight days of shuffleboard, ping pong, bingo, and trivia contests...

If I were considering a cruise of that length, with kids those ages, I'd be looking Royal Caribbean's way. Specifically at the Freedom Class or Oasis ships...my gut feeling is that your kids will be bored on DCL for 11 nights.

What about a combo Land/Sea vacation, with a shorter cruise onboard DCL. Is that a possibility?

TammiMcMan
08-21-2010, 06:27 PM
That's a tough one. I guess it would all depend on what cruise line and what the itinerary looked like. Disney does a great job with celebrating the holidays on board the ship and on Castaway Cay. If the itinerary is exciting too, with plenty of ports and opportunities to do something completely different with your family, then that might sell me on the cruise instead.

johnO
08-22-2010, 08:37 AM
Which place were you at last?

Have you ever been to WDW during Christmas?

If its put to a family vote, what would be chosen?

johnO
09-05-2010, 01:41 PM
if youve been to WDW during Christmas before, then perhaps it's time to experience a cruise..

ElenitaB
09-05-2010, 02:18 PM
Disney at Christmas is incredibly crowded and the weather is unreliable. Given the choice, I'd spend fewer days at WDW and the lion's share of my vacation onboard a Disney cruise. The ships and Castaway Cay are decorated beautifully; there are plenty of varied activities each day and the opportunity to truly disconnect, unwind and relax during your vacation (which is ultimately why I vacation). If my DS's experience counts at all, I don't think the kids will get bored either.

It's a very personal choice. What a nice connundrum to have! :thumbsup: