PDA

View Full Version : Question about Shades of Green

buzznwoodysmom
08-19-2010, 10:23 PM
I have a question for all the SOG experts out there. We've stayed a few times, each time for just one night when we were either arriving a night early or wanting to stay an extra night at the end of a trip. When we have stayed there we weren't thrilled with their transportation and just in general like other resorts better. I know that a military member can book more than one room, but could we book a room for extended family if we aren't staying there? Or do we have to also be staying there to book rooms for others? We'd be staying at a different resort during the same dates. I'm asking this because my SIL has 3 kids and I know it can get expensive finding rooms for 5 at WDW. Before I offer this to them I want to see if this is even possible. I'm thinking its probably not, but just thought I'd ask here to make sure. Thanks!

wdwfansince75
08-20-2010, 09:31 AM
The sponsor must be checked in at the resort for the entire stay. When we were there in July, DW and I were there for 6 nights, and sponsored 2 additional rooms. Our initial reservations were for 7 nights, but we had an obligation which required us to check out early. We asked if the guest we sponsored could stay for one more night, and were told that they could not stay without us.

By the way, on that same trip, we noted a great improvement over past trips for the in house restaurants, Garden Gallery, and Mangino's. The quality of the buses has improved, although the schedule is the same. DW and I found that at the end of the day, you do have the option to take the TTC bus back to SoG, to avoid the walk back from the Poly...although stopping for a Dole Whip seemed to make the walk easier. The SoG-TTC bus runs every 30 minutes, almost to the minute, and is rarely crowded. I took the Disney buses back from DHS and AK to the TTC, rather than waiting for the once an hour SoG bus.

On all our SoG stays, we have learned to adapt to the bus (or walk) schedule. The staff has improved steadily over the years, and the size and layout of the rooms make it a great bargain. The facilities (except for the buses) are never crowded, and the fellow guests are the friendliest (and most courteous) we have met anywhere.

DW loves to sit on the patio, watching the golfers, or the various birds, including turkeys, who stroll the grounds. On our last visit, she was on the patio late one evening, and had a deer walk over from the golf course. It is a very relaxed place. With the short walk (or Shady Shuttle ride) to the Poly, it is amost a monorail resort. By the way, the walk is almost exactly (within steps) the same distance as the walk from the monorail station to the Crystal Palace.

buzznwoodysmom
08-20-2010, 09:55 AM
Thanks so much for all the info. That's what I figured about us having to also be there with our guests, but thought that maybe someone had been able to do it in the past.

I have to be fair and admit that we've probably not given SOG much of a chance. Its hard to judge a resort when you've only stayed a max of one night each time. The bus situation was tough because with kids its hard to be on such a tight schedule. When we stayed the bus would only run once an hour, on the hour and if you missed it you had to find other options or wait another hour for the next bus. With young children you never know when just as you walk out the room they forgot something, need to potty, the list could go on. Now that our kids are older it probably wouldn't be as bad. The rooms are huge, we loved that. Maybe we'll give them another try one of these days.

buzznwoodysmom
08-20-2010, 09:56 AM
A few more questions. Does SOG guests still get EMH in the parks? And is parking still free at the parks for SOG guests?

sherriepaul
08-20-2010, 10:24 AM
When I was thinking about staying at SOG I looked at lots of threads. Parking is no longer free at the parks for SOG guests. Don't remember about EMH hours. Email the gals at the reservation desk or call to ask. They were very helpful and very nice!

wdwfansince75
08-20-2010, 04:33 PM
Yes, SoG guests can still use EMH's.

wdwfansince75
08-21-2010, 09:14 AM
On one of our SoG stays, we had 3 of our 4 grown kids, and all 6 (then) of our DGK's, ages 5-15 at the time. (actually, 15, 14, 13, 13, 9, and 5) The DGK's learned the bus schedule before we did! They were our guides, and made sure nobody, including PeePaw (me) got us to the buses late. The buses were not the best, but we were all at Disney! The picture of 8 smiles (DW, me, and the 6 DGK's) is placed in our room so it is the last image I have each night, as I turn out the light. That picture becomes even more important today, as DGD#1 heads off to college (She will be an Owl), and DGS#1 makes his second deployment as an Army Ranger.

With Park Hopper passes, we spent part of almost every evening at MK. We usually walked between SoG and Poly, but also found the SoG TTC bus, running every half hour, faithfully, to be great for all four parks....The TTC-AK and TTC-DHS buses seemed less crowded than the SoG buses to those parks, and the monorail to EPCOT always had seating.

DS#1 and his family also discovered the MK-Poly boats, and watched fireworks from the boat at least twice, including July 4. (I watched them from the top deck of the SoG garage.) The only real transportation problem we had was a very late return trip from AK. A really inconsiderate (and angry) family demanded that the driver wait for a family member who was "8 months pregnant, and just leaving the park now!"...so we waited for about 15 minutes, before she and 2 other family members slowly walked across the parking lot. The bus was full, but none of the demanding family gave her their seat. That was up to a more thoughtful guest! (Note that in all of our stays at SoG, they were the only rude fellow guests that we experienced.)

mudpuppysmom
10-10-2010, 09:28 PM
WOW, when did they change the no parking at the parks for SOG guests??!?!?!