PDA

View Full Version : Shades of Green Suites? Has anyone stayed there?

Katmegali
08-19-2010, 08:38 PM
I'm thinking of staying at Shades of Green Suites for my family of 7. Has anyone ever stayed there? What is it like?

I know staying at SOG has many of the benefits that other DIsney resorts do, such as early/late entries but what other benefits are there and how is the resort?

I checked the site and the price was about $255.

Rosemickey68
08-19-2010, 09:42 PM
We stayed there last July. We actually stayed in the family suite that sleeps 8 people.
It is a roomy 1 bedroom suite with 2 bathrooms. As you walk in there is a large & quite spacious bathroom to the right, as you walk down the foyer/hall where there is a closet, inside the closet is a safe. at the end of the hall/foyer there is a sink to the left with a microwave and small refrigerator. You walk into the "dining room/living room area". There is a table with 4 or 5 chairs, 2 sleeper sofas, a pull down murphy bed. There are several dressers and various small tables. There is a coffee maker (I hope if you stay there your's isn't broken as we asked for a replacement serveral times and never got one which was a disappoint to my mother who is an avid coffee drinker!). The bedroom has a King size bed and has a large bathroom as well. There is also a closet and dresser. The space was the size of the Disney's 1 bedroom villas.
For the price of the room I would say it is a bargain. Our only real complaints was the broken coffee container not ever being replaced, the transporation is not to our liking, and we had to ask for pillows,linens and blankets for the sleeper sofas and murphy bed not just on arrival but after they cleaned our room more than once as the housekeeper took them! You would think that they would know that a party of 8 is sleeping in that suite and needed them. That was a nuisance after a long day in the park!
The bus/transporation wasn't so great. There schedule doesn't run as often as Disney buses and if the bus gets full it can take an hour for another bus to come. If you don't mind walking back and forth to the Polynesian Resort (which is only a 5 to 7 minute walk) you can use the WDW transportation which will get you around much quicker. That walk can be quite tiring after a long day at the park though!
If you have a car it would be even better.
They have a coffee cart, an exchange, and 2 restaurants that have good prices. The coffee was starbucks at the cart. We only got pizza one night from Mangino's which was pretty good and it was a large for approx $18 (for Disney prices wasn't shabby at all!).
You get many of the benefits as WDW guests, you get the EMH, are able to use WDW transporation, have packages sent to your room from the parks. And you don't have to pay tax!

TammiMcMan
08-20-2010, 01:26 AM
I know staying at SOG has many of the benefits that other DIsney resorts do, such as early/late entries but what other benefits are there and how is the resort?Actually, I think early/late entry and package delivery are the only benefits as compared to other Disney resorts. It was reported recently and I noticed on their website, that there's now a $14 charge for parking at the theme parks. If you do bring your own car, there is also a $5 nightly parking fee at SOG.

They provide their own bus transportation to the theme parks and it's a very set schedule. As the previous poster mentioned though, you can bypass that by walking across the street to the Polynesian and using their transportation options.

Rooms are a great bargain though for those who qualify.